Help! Where is the 'culture' and the 'buzz' in the UK? I can't find it!

Guest boomerangpommie

Guest boomerangpommie
Croyde bay ,Devon

North Yorkshire

Northumberland

West highlands of scotland

North wales

( closer to home for me )- stratford ,warwick castle ,in fact Warwickshire full stop

These depend on good weather to make it a nice day out - that may just be me, though, I don't like being cold or spending all day in damp clothes or blasting wind, lol!

within 2 hrs - paris - fantastic

within 8 hours - south of france - magnificent

I think of these as either a mini-break or a holiday, not really a day out - also involves going abroad, not really UK.

I think what I'm trying to say, is that to enjoy many things in the UK, you can't rely on good (or even fair) weather and lots of indoor things cost money. When you have kids, dragging them around castles and heritage sites only has so much appeal. We went to Warwick Castle in Oct last year - after me wanting to go for years and years - it was pretty good, quite atmospheric, there were pumpkins for Halloween all over the place and we did all the dungeons etc but then out of the blue (or should I say grey), came a snow storm, we were up on the ramparts in a blizzard! Then it took hours to get home, crawling at 20 mph in the storm. Or two weeks ago, we went to The Tolkien Weekend in Birmingham, which was set up so lovingly and carefully, with rides, craft stalls, Anglo-Saxon crafts etc, a miniature railway but had to go home again after about an 1 & half hours cos of the rain - the rides weren't on, could only enjoy watching arrows being made for so long while soaking wet and the craft and other tents were jam-packed with everyone sheltering from the downpour. :nah:

Guest Andy
These depend on good weather to make it a nice day out - that may just be me, though, I don't like being cold or spending all day in damp clothes or blasting wind, lol!

I think of these as either a mini-break or a holiday, not really a day out - also involves going abroad, not really UK.

I think what I'm trying to say, is that to enjoy many things in the UK, you can't rely on good (or even fair) weather and lots of indoor things cost money. When you have kids, dragging them around castles and heritage sites only has so much appeal. We went to Warwick Castle in Oct last year - after me wanting to go for years and years - it was pretty good, quite atmospheric, there were pumpkins for Halloween all over the place and we did all the dungeons etc but then out of the blue (or should I say grey), came a snow storm, we were up on the ramparts in a blizzard! Then it took hours to get home, crawling at 20 mph in the storm. Or two weeks ago, we went to The Tolkien Weekend in Birmingham, which was set up so lovingly and carefully, with rides, craft stalls, Anglo-Saxon crafts etc, a miniature railway but had to go home again after about an 1 & half hours cos of the rain - the rides weren't on, could only enjoy watching arrows being made for so long while soaking wet and the craft and other tents were jam-packed with everyone sheltering from the downpour. :nah:

Cheer up its sunny today!:cool:

Well, we went to Skeggy.

2 and a bit hours each way in the car for our nearest beach.

Clear, blue, cloudless sky, but so windy and cold the kids huddled under towels, and they don't feel the cold and love messing on a beach.

Spent longer in the car than on the beach! My son said I don't ever want to go to that beach again!!!

Been to Warwick Castle so many times It's great, but they don't like knights forever. Not sure how being able to drive past a historic building counts as culture for my family.

If you love the 'culture and history' of Britain, then you should be here.

We never had foreign holidays when I was little, couldn't afford them and my parents believed there was enough great stuff to see here. So I've done my time of moors, mines, mountains and stately homes - it hasn't made me love England so much that I never want to leave, in fact I wanted to leave as soon as I could - maybe because I'd seen so much of it and it was commonplace to me and I needed to see something 'different'.

I don't feel 'displaced' when I'm not in England around all of that, and I don't miss it.

I appreciate it all (just don't 'need' it in my life) and I will teach my children to appreciate historic buildings and landscape wherever we are.

Sue x

Guest John Locke
but then out of the blue (or should I say grey), came a snow storm, we were up on the ramparts in a blizzard!

God, my kids would love that!

Guest guest17301

Seems to me we all long for what we haven't got..then once we have it we long for what we had....human nature!

Sue...you will love the beaches in WA...never have to fight for a spot..theres so many theres something for everyone..and they all seem to have their own character..be it for surfing, sunning yourself, swimming, walking the dog, rockpools/crabbing/looking for shells etc...I could go on but don't want to bore you..theres something for everyone!

In the spirit of a balanced post though the beaches in South Wales were just perfection for me in the height of summer...we had many a lovely time in Pembrokeshire..beautiful. Driving 2 hours to get to Prestatyn or Blackpool for the day though just didn't cut it...spent a good few days sat in car with sandwiches and tea looking out on the view...my Aussie colleaugues think this is hilarious...good old British tradition!

We have had a few days here when we've headed to the beach but found it's just too windy/cool to stay....haven't been here long enough to know the best times to go yet..

Fiona, we used to go to South Wales most years as my dad was from Swansea and I have great memories of the beaches.

We were in Perth this time last year (winter right?) and comparing those beaches and the amount of time we spent on them with yeaterday at Skeggy was funny. We said in Perth "This is like English summer" Well sometimes it was better!!! It's set up to be people friendly, parking close to the beach, loos and showers and a cafe and bbqs. My family likes that!!!

Sue x

Guest guest17301

Know what you mean Sue...it's been beautiful today..about 24...glorious weather. Never made it to the beach though just been pottering in the garden/went for a bike ride...nice to be able to do that in 'Winter'!

Culture - no worries for me, the museums, ancient sites (thanks to the English Heritage membership my mum gave me for my birthday), the markets, the free activities (around Cambridge there were loads going on), the village fetes coming up for spring and summer. And if the weather was bad then I enjoy a day in the family history archives but I can see why it wouldnt be for young kids. I never had any trouble keeping my kids occupied on our many holidays to UK that's for sure but we were lucky enough to be a short train ride from London. I could lose them for days in the Natural History or Science museum on bad weather days. On good weather days the kids loved to walk in the fields and to help my dad in the garden, climbing trees, digging up worms for the chickens, riding their bikes (generously loaned from acquaintances of my parents), knocking a ball around with granddad's golf clubs etc.

The buzz - well, London for sure. Cambridge or any of the other close by towns on market day, just taking the park and ride and listening to the people actually talking to each other on the bus. My son loved being in London and he developed a nice repertoire of amazing restaurants, good performances and the best pubs which he took great delight in showing off to his mum (who had had her own repertoire 40 years ago as a student!). People who talk to you at the supermarket check out, market stall holders and their banter - so much to experience!

Tourist attractions here are expensive too compared with wages. At the weekend I went on the Illawarra fly - a 45 minute walk on a treetop walkway with a view over the Shoalhaven. Senior's pass cost me $20 (my first ever senior's concession:wacko:) I dont know that it was worth the money I must say. In fact it was so blooming cold that we were round in just over half an hour and there wasnt really much out of the ordinary except a view of the coast and some big trees.

The Sydney bridge climb costs an arm and a leg but is worth the money. The Sydney tower is also expensive but not really worth it. Here in Canberra you can get the 3 attraction ticket (Cockington Green, AIS and Questacon - none of which even approach Legoland) for $124 for a 2+3 family. Not necessarily cheap either really.

Guest Count Zero

And then there's Legoland, well 37 pounds per adult to get in and 27 pounds per child (we had kids go free vouchers, otherwise it would have been a no-no). The shortest queue we were in was 1 hour 10 minutes long.

Its 3 days drive to the nearest theme park from where we are or we could fly to the gold coast and stay over if we had a few thousand dollars to spare!

Legoland on-line price

adult £32.40

child £24.30

£113.40 = $229 family of 4

Then add on petrol (more expensive here) food, ice-creams, drinks maybe a souvenir (rip off Britain) Not the type of day out WE can afford to do more than once a year.

Though you can get some offers throughout the year sometimes kids go free.

So free activities (not shopping/markets/pubs/restaurants/trains very expensive/long car journeys)

are really important to us, and you need good weather for variety.

Guest Count Zero
Legoland on-line price

adult £32.40

child £24.30

£113.40 = $229 family of 4

Then add on petrol (more expensive here) food, ice-creams, drinks maybe a souvenir (rip off Britain) Not the type of day out WE can afford to do more than once a year.

Though you can get some offers throughout the year sometimes kids go free.

So free activities (not shopping/markets/pubs/restaurants/trains very expensive/long car journeys)

are really important to us, and you need good weather for variety.

Most Aussies would spend more than that just in traveling costs to get to a theme park which is why most folk here get into camping, its because thats all there is outside of the big cities.

Guest June Pixie

Ok - the kids stayed at friends this weekend so OH & I decided on a whim to do the Hadrian's Wall cycle trail -Coast to coast - 140km. I think I've been so wrapped up in wanting something different I haven't been appreciating what's under my nose. So we cycle from my doorstep along past Corbridge, Hexham, Fourstones, Vindolanda Roman Fort, Chesters Roman Fort then an overnight stay in Greenhead in a cute B&B and the next day on to just before Carlisle then train home. Very tiring but lovely!

I'll try and post some pics of the scenery.

Ok - the kids stayed at friends this weekend so OH & I decided on a whim to do the Hadrian's Wall cycle trail -Coast to coast - 140km. I think I've been so wrapped up in wanting something different I haven't been appreciating what's under my nose. So we cycle from my doorstep along past Corbridge, Hexham, Fourstones, Vindolanda Roman Fort, Chesters Roman Fort then an overnight stay in Greenhead in a cute B&B and the next day on to just before Carlisle then train home. Very tiring but lovely!

I'll try and post some pics of the scenery.

Wow, that's impressive! That's a substantial bike ride but at least the road is straight:biglaugh:

Most Aussies would spend more than that just in traveling costs to get to a theme park which is why most folk here get into camping, its because thats all there is outside of the big cities.

Totally disagree with this. Far more than just camping outside of Brisbane. Also, there are theme parks in or near most big cities.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't think England was buzzing until I came to Australia and realised that eating out after 7pm can be hard sometimes. I've heard, "it was quiet so we're closing" so many times. They don't seem to have cottoned on to the fact that maybe it's quiet because everyone's at home thinking there's no point in going out because everywhere's probably shut. Doh!

But it is how it is. This is how they like it, so it's up to me to fit in. Put up or shut up. I came here to adapt to their ways not to bully them into changing.

Guest guest30038

Like fish.01 I totally disagree also.

The "camping mentality" is a product of the settler days...............handed down from father to son so to speak. The Aussies have a great love of the outdoors, and the conquering of it. The camps that they set up are something to be seen...........huge tarps over their tents to provide shade and everything, including the kitchen sink under it. They persevere with the flies, the mozzies, the sand fleas and anything else that comes their way, including the infamous Qld summer storms, because it illustrates who they are and speaks of their heritage. I'm proud to be a part of it.............where in the UK can you set up camp and live off the land and the water, and yes, we do it...........catch our own fish, prawns and mud crabs, alone on Crusoe Island with the Gold Coast hubub only minutes away and the white shoed, chardonnay skippers in their million dollar yachts eating the same as us...........the only difference being that their seafood was bought at Coles and cost 30 bucks a kilo :biglaugh: But yes, they're Australian too, and it takes all sorts to make a country, particularly a young country.

kev

Guest guest30038
I didn't think England was buzzing until I came to Australia and realised that eating out after 7pm can be hard sometimes. I've heard, "it was quiet so we're closing" so many times. They don't seem to have cottoned on to the fact that maybe it's quiet because everyone's at home thinking there's no point in going out because everywhere's probably shut. Doh!

But it is how it is. This is how they like it, so it's up to me to fit in. Put up or shut up. I came here to adapt to their ways not to bully them into changing.

You haven't adapted that much I hope :wink:

I still sit out under the stars till 11 and 12 when all the lights in the neighbourhood have gone out by 9.30. Just can't get into that going to bed so early. Likewise, I can't get into that 4am start (and earlier) that they have in the summer months when every man and his dog is out pounding the pavement before they go to work.

kev

Same as that mate. I can't get into the early to bed, early to rise thing either. It does make sense here though I suppose, in summer it's hot by 9am and all year round it gets dark early.

I do miss the light evenings though. It's dark and everything's shut. I can see why they're all in bed by 9pm. Zzzzzz

Same as that mate. I can't get into the early to bed, early to rise thing either. It does make sense here though I suppose, in summer it's hot by 9am and all year round it gets dark early.

I do miss the light evenings though. It's dark and everything's shut. I can see why they're all in bed by 9pm. Zzzzzz

my week evenings are seriously boring (depressing even)

i miss popping over to mates houses just for the sake of it - can't do that here totally impossible. people want to just sit in front of the tv in privacy

Guest guest30038
my week evenings are seriously boring (depressing even)

i miss popping over to mates houses just for the sake of it - can't do that here totally impossible. people want to just sit in front of the tv in privacy

I find that with the older couples, but most 2.2's I know are rushed off their feet in the evenings. My youngest attends footy club two evenings a week and school footy 2 evenings a week. I fetch him home from the school footy at 5.45 and he heads off to tae kwon do at 6.15 on both those nights and I pick him up from there at 7.45.............we eat at 8.15 most evenings. On the one night I don't have to ferry him around, I ferry my other boy to piano lessons. I don't encourage them to do this, it is their free choice and most of their mates are doing similar evening activities.............no wonder their parents are in bed by 9.30! :biglaugh:

Add to that, he plays matches on both Saturday and Sunday and you'll appreciate why I'm glad the footy season is only 17 weeks :wacko:

All I remember doing with my 3 older boys who are still in the UK, is sitting in front of the box each evening. We used to go camping in the Lakes at weekends, but invariably, they were either cold or wet, mostly miserable and hated it. The difference between how my 3 oldest viewed our "recreation" and how I am now raising my 2 youngest is astounding............they can't wait to go camping, boating or fishing

kev

I find that with the older couples, but most 2.2's I know are rushed off their feet in the evenings. My youngest attends footy club two evenings a week and school footy 2 evenings a week. I fetch him home from the school footy at 5.45 and he heads off to tae kwon do at 6.15 on both those nights and I pick him up from there at 7.45.............we eat at 8.15 most evenings. On the one night I don't have to ferry him around, I ferry my other boy to piano lessons. I don't encourage them to do this, it is their free choice and most of their mates are doing similar evening activities.............no wonder their parents are in bed by 9.30! :biglaugh:

Add to that, he plays matches on both Saturday and Sunday and you'll appreciate why I'm glad the footy season is only 17 weeks :wacko:

All I remember doing with my 3 older boys who are still in the UK, is sitting in front of the box each evening. We used to go camping in the Lakes at weekends, but invariably, they were either cold or wet, mostly miserable and hated it. The difference between how my 3 oldest viewed our "recreation" and how I am now raising my 2 youngest is astounding............they can't wait to go camping, boating or fishing

kev

yes i guess with kids it's different i agree it is better here

at my adult age i just miss being able to go to the pub or a friends house any time with a good mixed group of blokes AND birds

Guest guest30038

AND birds

Shouldn't that read, "Sheilas"?.......... I sometimes wonder how many true blue dinky di Aussies have refrained from calling their daughters "sheila"? :biglaugh: I haven't met a single female called Sheila since I came here!

kev

Guest Barrian

Culture? Buzz?

Look in a day old yoghurt pot and stick your fingers in a live electric socket.

Oh yes

Happy slapping. Respect. Hoodies. Aaaaargh!

Archived