What's Rosebud like??

Guest the terry's

Guest the terry's

Hi all,

Does anyone know what Rosebud and the suburbs around the southern part of the Mornington Peninsular are like?

Does anyone know what the job situation is for a plumber in that area?

Many thanks guys,

Helenx

Rosebud, Tootgarook, Rye, Blairgowrie, Sorrento, Portsea are towards the end of the Peninsula and popular with retirees and people with holiday homes. Rosebud has attracted a lot of younger people too in recent years although its predominantly people who are retired.

Its quite a commute from these areas to the city however it would be okay to live there and work say in the Berwick Cranbourne, Frankston Dandenong areas.

There is no train line, and the nearest large public hospital is in Frankston which would be 40- 50 minutes away.

It has a resonable shopping centre.

For work I guess plumbers would work for themselves as their is no industry as such down there.

There is not a lot of new housing being built in the area either.

Its warmer to live there than McCrae, Dromana, Mount Martha as the suburbs to the south are protected by Arthurs Seas the hill behind Rosebud and it has a mild climate.

There is a freeway to Rosebud part of the way from Frankston.

There are many plumbers on the Peninsula now working for themselves and a lot also contract to the large home builders.

Living on the Peninsula is very nice we have done so for over twenty years and we love it.

Hi all' date='

Does anyone know what Rosebud and the suburbs around the southern part of the Mornington Peninsular are like?

Does anyone know what the job situation is for a plumber in that area?

Many thanks guys,

Helenx[/quote']

Hi Terry's,

What Petals said is true, there are some nice places on the Peninsula if you wanted to commute to the city on the Eastlink Fwy, but if you didn't want to and were to start your own business on the Peninsula, you could do that, if you are good you could build a good business around the wider area, right through to Frankston/Dandenong etc. There are lots of 'tradies down there and surrounds.

I was looking a few weeks ago at some land in a nice part of Rosebud (it is a changing demographic, as petals said, a lot of younger couples like my niece who thought it was a nice seachange, and lots of older retired couples) and I looked at the Peninsula Sands estate, a little way off the main road. It could be a good buy at the moment for either investment or to buy - if you don't need to be 'close' to Melbourne - but if you don't use the new Eastlink then it can be a slower journey, in the morning it is a pain in the you know what ! If you get onto www.realestate.com.au and then click on Victoria and type Rosebud on there it will come up with houses, and if you look at land for sale you will get an idea of land prices. They had some display homes down there which I went through a few weeks ago. Some of the estate has already opened up, but there are some good buys down there which are already established older homes (not the holiday shacks, as some of them are made of asbestos, I know that's not a problem if you don't shift it mind you). It is a lot more reasonably priced than Mount Martha which has an new estate called Sefton Grange (very pricey). Some people say that Rosebud and Dromana aren't as nice as Mornington, Mt. Eliza or Mount Martha, but as I said both places have changed in the last 10 years, and Rosebud has become affordable near the beach. There are also some well priced houses at Mornington a little away from the Main St (other side of the highway). The shopping strip at Rosebud isn't as nice as Mornington (or as 'villagy' in some respects) but it has all the shops you need on a daily basis. You can go further afield to Frankston to the bigger shopping complex, it all depends on what you need. My niece is happy with the primary school in Rosebud.

As always, it depends on what you like. If you are after some acreage, then Somerville, Tyabb, Hastings etc are a start.

cheers

Olly

Agree with Olly and its a nicer climate, you would not think it would be but it is just ask around if you get down there, the locals will tell you.

Sefton Grange is way overpriced in my view as is most of Mount Martha on the non beach side of the Nepean Highway.

I call them the real estate agents selling dreams of grandeur.

Sefton Grange would have been much better divided into acreage blocks but of course it costs the same to develop a large block as a small block and can sell more smaller ones.

People I know now are frightened to buy on small blocks as they are worried about being shaded by McMansions and this is a real problem. I would absolutely hate to have a double story overlooking me.

• 1 month later...

Dear Helen

If your thinking of coming down and having a look I have some short term accommodation available at McCrae (next to Rosebud) 800m from the beach. A 3 bedroom house which we rent out for holiday visitors to the area. I can send you pictures etc if interested.

Regards

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Leenichols

having lived on the MP and lived in portsea, rye, rosebud,and mccrae and now in somerville . portsea was cool , now rosebud *shakes head* people love it but if you actually LIVE ther its not great the people are terible and the youngens well friday , saturday night you'll know about it, if your gunna buy in rosebud buy at the back!!!! NEVER buy on point nepean rd, your asking for trobule

having lived on the MP and lived in portsea, rye, rosebud,and mccrae and now in somerville . portsea was cool , now rosebud *shakes head* people love it but if you actually LIVE ther its not great the people are terible and the youngens well friday , saturday night you'll know about it, if your gunna buy in rosebud buy at the back!!!! NEVER buy on point nepean rd, your asking for trobule

Don't know what 'the people are terrible' means - I visit friends there and over the years I have seen what is called 'a changing demographic' which in real estate speak means that the whole suburb is changing. It has in the past had a reputation as the traditional 'working class' holiday house suburb (the concept of that has also changed). It is seen as a good investment at the moment as it is reasonably priced beachside property. It is true that there are some problems with the kids hooning around the main beachfront at the street, and there are all kinds of different people there - both well off and not so well off, that doesn't make them 'terrible'. I looked at the Peninsula Sands estate, back further up from Jetty Road off the beachfront, and it is quite nice, still surrounded by bushland. Rosebud will continue to change - watch it in 10 or 15 years time!

Guest Leenichols
Don't know what 'the people are terrible' means - I visit friends there and over the years I have seen what is called 'a changing demographic' which in real estate speak means that the whole suburb is changing. It has in the past had a reputation as the traditional 'working class' holiday house suburb (the concept of that has also changed). It is seen as a good investment at the moment as it is reasonably priced beachside property. It is true that there are some problems with the kids hooning around the main beachfront at the street, and there are all kinds of different people there - both well off and not so well off, that doesn't make them 'terrible'. I looked at the Peninsula Sands estate, back further up from Jetty Road off the beachfront, and it is quite nice, still surrounded by bushland. Rosebud will continue to change - watch it in 10 or 15 years time!

yeh well i have heard that from people in hastings and that will have a better reputation than rosebud ever will! those ports they have there and the amount of shipping it will be having and the big changes will be worth alot. so people if your planning to but . BUY IN HASTINGS! i just bought a investment property ther and i tell ya it will be worth it. that will be a REAL RETURN on in ya cash!

Guest proud2beaussie

I lived in Somerville for many years (My sister and brother in law still live there) and I can tell you that the area has as much trouble from "Hoons" on a Fri and Sat night as Rosebud ever does,and as for Hastings,well put it this way West Park on a weekend is not where I would want to be.

The Mornington Peninsula is really no better,or worse than other areas of Melbourne,or Sydney,or London for that matter,it has it's problems .

As for saying the people of Rosebud are "terrible" that's a gross generalisation and is quite frankly offensive to me as I have many friends who live in the area and they are very nice people.

Some young ones are terrible everywhere not not all I live in Somerville and cannot say that all the young here are well behaved, the graffiti around at the moment is awful and I wish they would catch them.

Hastings probably will get more expensive, actually the people who bought before the boom are the ones who are reaping the benefit in Hastings. Its very attractive to older people as its flat and has the train and everything they need.

Unfortunately if you need a doctor in Hastings you cannot get on a list you have to travel to another suburb to see one.

The port is not going to be completed until 2030 so its a way to go and a long long term investment I believe.

I prefer to live up the top of the Peninsula as its not so far to go to other places in Melbourne.

I too have friends and family on the Peninsula, my brother lived in Somerville for 7 years, and his sons in Mt. Martha and Sth Frankston, as NIO says it is no worse or better than many other places I have stayed in London, yes kids will be kids near the beach making some noise etc. Hastings is no worse than Rosebud, in fact I agree, as I looked at an investment property there 4 years ago and thought it was a good buy.

Those of us who know Melbourne well know that many areas, like London, have undergone changes over the past 20 years. Only 50 years ago no one wanted to live in Carlton and Fitzroy, and then no one wanted only 20 years ago to live in Seddon or Footscray, now they are trendy inner city suburbs, the gateway to the West. And what about some parts of Kensington, Flemington and Nth Melbourne. Now all renewed and some great spots there if you know where to look. It is so hard to make generalisations about suburbs these days, and I say that having lived here all my life with different stints overseas etc. I have two little nieces at Rosebud primary school, and they love it.

We are going there for a holiday in a couple of weeks and from what people have said at work and I've seen on the internet it all looks very lovely and a bit like living in Devon - slower pace of life, bigger and cheaper houses and more of a small town/villagey feel with plenty of beaches, country walks etc. No one has said a bad word about the place at work but i get the impression that if you work in the city then it might be a bit too far out but if you work more locally then no probs. It seems to be more of an up and coming area with more younger people moving in and more facilites/motorways etc are being built which can only be a good thing

We are going there for a holiday in a couple of weeks and from what people have said at work and I've seen on the internet it all looks very lovely and a bit like living in Devon - slower pace of life, bigger and cheaper houses and more of a small town/villagey feel with plenty of beaches, country walks etc. No one has said a bad word about the place at work but i get the impression that if you work in the city then it might be a bit too far out but if you work more locally then no probs. It seems to be more of an up and coming area with more younger people moving in and more facilites/motorways etc are being built which can only be a good thing

You are right boganbear, I was there yesterday looking at houses. There are a combination of 'beach shacks' and new development, as I said it is a bit of an old retirement haunt and in summer you can sometimes barely move for holiday makers who have been going there for 50 years and probably more. It is a good 20 minutes more on the freeway to Frankston, but the freeway is quick up there. I suggest you get an Eastlink pass online, and it takes you right into Jetty Road, then you just drive down to the beachfront on the Nepean Hwy. You can do the drive down the Nepean Hwy, it's pretty much following the beach down there and it is a nice drive from the city down to Frankston, Mornington, Mt. Martha and onto Rosebud. It is a commute into the city though, but if you worked in Frankston or Dandenong you can do it.

If you were interested in a new housing estate, go up Jetty road and there is an estate there called Peninsula Sands, it is tucked away in a leafy part of Rosebud.

Good luck

Guest the terry's

Thanks guys for all your replies. We are looking for a slightly quieter life, we're not townie people and have no intention whatsoever to live anywhere near Melbourne. It seems peoples perceptions of a place can vary such a lot and I value them all, I will have to make my own mind up when we get over there, which is why we're going to rent for a while when we get there so we can make the decision to live in a place that we have thoroughly checked out, the good, the bad and maybe the ugly, but at least it will be our decision.

Cheers guys,

Helenx

Dear Helen

It is better, sometimes, to check things out for yourself. We have lived in Mt. Martha for 10 years and really enjoy the area. Its the best of both worlds - beach culture and close enough to enjoy what Melb. has to offer. Also some very good local schools for the kids.

We have a 3 bedroom house in McCrae (15min away) if you would like to rent it. We can send out photos, prices etc if interested let me know.

Good luck

Regards

Andrew

• 9 years later...
On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2009 at 22:14, Guest AJB said:

Dear Helen

It is better, sometimes, to check things out for yourself. We have lived in Mt. Martha for 10 years and really enjoy the area. Its the best of both worlds - beach culture and close enough to enjoy what Melb. has to offer. Also some very good local schools for the kids.

We have a 3 bedroom house in McCrae (15min away) if you would like to rent it. We can send out photos, prices etc if interested let me know.

Good luck

Regards

Andrew

do you still have you house for rent?

found this old thread whilsr researching rosebud?

we are hoping to move Nov 2019?

23 hours ago, StandingJ1506 said:

do you still have you house for rent?

found this old thread whilsr researching rosebud?

we are hoping to move Nov 2019?

That user isn’t on the forum anymore by the looks of it. This thread is 10 years old. Maybe start a new thread. There are a few members around the peninsula might have some contacts that could help you. Otherwise you’ll needa holiday let first off and then realestate.com for current rentals. Rosebud is a holiday area so will get busy during the summer which might limit your options in November and onwards.

Good luck with your move! Very exciting!

I like the coast down round Rosebud, Dromana , McCrae. It can be crowded during the Summer months but that is the case with most beach suburbs. It is near enough to Melbourne if you needed a big hospital, too. Some friends go down there every single year for their hols, in a caravan by the beach.