Made a video of where we live to remind us and family in oz!

Guest chris_mac

Guest chris_mac

Been out today and made a video of where we live..

My brother went to Sydney eight years ago and has not been back since.. We have been to oz a coule of times and seen him but its not the same for him.. Money wise he couldnt afford to come back to the uk (Didnt say home!) so today i have done a video of our town.. Where we grew up, where we lived, where our mam lives (Moved house since he was here), new shops, old shops, new buildings etc that didnt exist when he was here..

The fundamental reason of the video was to prove that life go's on and nothing is the same.. Places change, people move on it is never like you remember hence the ping pongers.. (Those who leave oz thinking they missing something, move back to the uk then head back to oz). I would hate for them to spend a fortune they dont have to move back to the uk only to want to move to oz again..

Also when we we move which will be pretty soon i hope, we can look at the video once in oz and remind ourselfs that it is only a place and home is where you make it.

Finally watching the video it was a laugh a mintue with really funny running commentry and im so pleased i did it...

Anyone done anything simillar, and what have you guys done to make things easier in oz.

Best wishes

Chris

Guest Squem

I plan to do a video Chris before I leave... then i'm going to get my uncle to edit it on his apple mac lol... he doesnt know im gonna give it to him for him to do but oh well ha ha!

I want something to look back on in the future... as i dont think i will be able to come back any time soon as i will have no money!!

Glad yours has turned out well :-)

Emma

Guest snow white

we never did anything like that but got married the day before we flew and one of the presents we got was a dvd set with all the famous or sentimental places in newcastle and a dvd of pictures of all our friends etc on nights out we cried of course but still look at it often.

in fact put pics on a memory card and they play on one of those digital photo frames and i love to catch a glimpse of places that let me remember lots of great times growing up in newcastle

life goes on definitely

lesley x

• 5 months later...

lister the Terry Wogan on radio 2 on computer, Google Manchester look at all the beautiful old buildings ,put the Manchester webcam on to watch the busy traffic at rush hour,look at the metrolink,buy British sweets,was black jacks and polo mints last week,look at the latest corro news used to write and receive long letters,thats dwindled now,have Sale where i lived as my desktop pic,pics of UK friends as my screen saver,read Manchester evening news,daily mail, local metro,joined Facebook,friends reunited ,speak on the fone to old neighbors for the local goss oh dear think im getting homesick writing this haha,got to say don't do as much as i used to feeling more secure and settled now

The only downside is that it can be re-played on the homesickness moments. I remember seeing it on one of the reality programmes a while back where a couple had moved to New Zealand. He wanted to stay and she was desperate to move back to the UK. She became obsessed with watching it and it was making her soooo homesick. May be worth recording a dialogue about why you are moving and also some negative bits to keep a balance! Other than that, I think they are a great idea.

Archived