IELTS assistance please

Guest June Pixie

Guest June Pixie

My partner is booked in to do his IELTS test and I was wondering if any one had any example test papers for the general test? I looked online to perhaps purchase them but by the time they arrive in the post it won't give him enough time to brush up.

Also, English isn't my OH's first language - he learned English himself whilst working here and I think he will do pretty well, however, he is worried at the prospect of the test - hopefully someone will be able to help and give him some advice on this. Can anyone who done the test who isn't a native speaker put his mind at rest?

Many thanks.

HI June

If you Google 'free ielts practice' loads of stuff comes up. We didn't use it we used library books.

English is my OH's second language and he passed first time doing a bit of practice from the books.

Get him to do a full test and see where he's weakest and do more practice.

Good luck.

Sue x

Guest June Pixie

Thanks for that advice. We will look into that and I'll get him into practice helping the daughter with her essays!

Second the other post. Loads of stuff free on the web. Library books also good source. I did the test OK, but certainly glad of the practice stuff, especialy the essay, easy to write, but to do it in the time alotted and correct number of words !! Wife had to do test as well as not a native English person, used the same material and scored about the same as I did, although she only needed a 4.5 average.

Have also sent you a PM

Guest seank

Hi June,

I used the practise questions on the IELTS website in the teacher's section. See the following link

IELTS Teaching Resources

It's not a full exam, but at least it gives you a fair idea of how the questions are structured.

regards

Sean

Guest June Pixie

Thanks Sean. My god it looks awkward- I think he is panicking now and to make matters worse his mum is coming over from Germany for 2 weeks leading upto the test so he will be having mostly German conversations which will confuse him no end - His answers will be half German half English!!

Guest SO,DIZZY

most Germans learn English as a second language at school surely that will be helpfull to gain him a pass...

dizz..

Guest June Pixie

Dizzy, yeah he did but he was a naughty boy at school and didn't want to learn it !! The only words he knew were song lyrics from Guns N' Roses records!! When he came over to UK to work he basically taught himself English from a phrase book and a dictionary and wished he'd paid more attention at school!

Archived