Migration Agent - pros and cons

mdesai11

Hi,

i've started the migration process but have noticed that a lot of people looking to migrate have employed an agent. Is it really necessary? Can they do anything more than what we can without them? What I mean is do they have more control over the speed of the visa application process?

I've successfully passed my skills assessment without one so is there any point in using one now?

Hope i'm not being too vague but just wanted to get peoples opinions really.

Thanks.

Guest mandisfam

Hi, A lot depends on what visa you are applying for and how complicated your application might be. We employed an agent mainly to get us through the skills assessment which was a written based one for Computer skills. We couldnt have done it without our agent, because he gave us knowledge we didnt have in making sure the many pages of writing my oh, made sense and said all the right things.

If its just a simply straightforward application , I would give ago if it was me.

Good Luck

Mandisfam

Hi if you have already done skills assesment on your own i would personaly carry on without one as the resst is easy compared to skills assesment, we have done the whole process whithout an agent, but ours was a straight forward case.

Rachael

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi mdesai11

You have told us in an earlier thread that you are a CAD Manager.

1. Which occupation did you nominate for your skills assessment?

2. Is your occupation on any of the State sponsorship lists?

3. Which occupation do you propose to nominate in your visa application?

4. Which visa do you intend to apply for?

Have you come across the ASCO Dictionary? If not, it is here:

http://www.ausstats.abs.gov.au/ausstats/free.nsf/Lookup/A86A0162E6F672DFCA256ADB001D10D4/$File/asco.pdf

There is an easier html version of it on the ABS website:

1220.0 - Australian Standard Classification of Occupations (ASCO) Second Edition, 1997=

When it comes to assessing what the CO thinks your actual occupation(s) has/have been during the 24 months immediately before submission of your visa application, the CO will consider your own description of your duties and the description provided by your employer. The CO will then consult the ASCO Dictionary to find an occupation in there which you fit into neatly. Having found what the CO reckons your actual occupation is in ASCO, the CO's next step is to check whether the occupation is on the SOL.

I've no idea what a CAD Manager might count as on the SOL so I can't try to be more specific about this.

Have I made sense in the description above?

Best wishes

Gill

Hi there,

at the time i wrote my 1st thread, i was really requesting information for my brother in law. Since then, i've been carrying through my application. I am a Computing professional so had my skills assessed through ACS. I was successful with 2231-79 but didn't get on MODL.

I am hoping to apply for the 175 visa.

Thanks.

Guest antipope

Hi, I'm just a bit in front of you in the process. Managed to get my skills recognised by myself so I've now done the online application as well. As the earlier poster said, the skills assessment seems the most difficult part and the online 175 visa seemed pretty straightforward really. Obviously I don't know how successfully I submitted my application yet but it seemed pretty easy to do. If I was you I'd give it a go yourself.

Guest cuba267

My advice is the same as most others here, if you have a straightforward case, and your confident with forms then go for it on your own. But any complications at all then go with an agent. We had a pretty straightforward case and found the whole process easy enough - no, let me correct that, my wife absolutely loves filling out forms and found it easy enough, i wasn't allowed near it.

Guest SO,DIZZY
hi,

i've started the migration process but have noticed that a lot of people looking to migrate have employed an agent. Is it really necessary? Can they do anything more than what we can without them? What i mean is do they have more control over the speed of the visa application process?

I've successfully passed my skills assessment without one so is there any point in using one now?

Hope i'm not being too vague but just wanted to get peoples opinions really.

Thanks.

the tra is the hard part,, if you dont have any medical problems or dependants with any medical probs,, then it will be no problem to do it yourself,, the tra is in my opinion the hard part.. Save yourself the money,, but then thats only my opinion...

Good luck dizz...

Archived