pet friendly rental in Melbourne

Guest sam1972

Guest sam1972

Hi There, we are emigrating to Melbourne on 3rd August with our dog and wondered if anyone could recommend a good estate agents? We have narrowed our list of suburbs down to Sunbury and Berwick but are flexible for the right property as long as my husband can commute into the CBD. I have contacted quite a few listed on realestate.com.au but received few replys so any advice would be very welcome. Many thanks

Hiya , it is hard to get much of a response from the agents until you are here and almost impossible to secure a rental on real estate prior to your arrival as you are required to view it in person or have someone view it on your behalf.

Drop moving2melbourne (kate) a Private Message i know she has a few rental houses and would imagine she has at least one thats pet friendy.

Good Luck with everything

Cal x

Hi Cal, many thanks for your advice. Sam

Its also advisable to get a short term rental before comitting to something longer term as well. Get to know the area, look at travelling distances etc etc. 3-4 weeks in a short term rental can save you a lot of hassle & money in the long run.

As already mentioned, drop Kate an PM/Email and she might have something to get yourselves started. Good luck.

Paul.

Guest gary12

Cal is right, even though we contacted agents a week before we arrived we heard nothing. We use Phillip Webb, we have found them to be spot on.

Philip Webb Real Estate

When we arrived we were pretty organised with a short list of properties and ended up securing the house we are in within 2 weeks of our arrival. As we had no credit rating we gave tehm 5 months rent in advance along with the bond (another months rent).

Oh forgot to say we have one cat.

best of luck

<Michelle

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Sam

I have replied to your pm:) It is no problem at all finding you a pet friendly rental, however, like Cal and Paul have mentioned you will probably need to go in to a short term pet friendly rental first (and we can help with this):wubclub:

Guest essex

Hi - there are pet friendly places around, many pet lovers go away and need someone to look after their home and their pets. Very often you can take your pet with you too.

Otherwise, and I have often had success, I place my own classified advert, the last one was for work and it worked!. My friend obtained her last two rentals that way.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest myboysinoz

Pets get quarantined for a month so you really have time to look for places. It's really best when you're actually here to see the properties as you have to book a viewing, see the surrounding areas, register interest with the estate agents.

In Melbourne CBD, most of the properties are really small so pets like our Sam (labrador) will not really have plenty of space to stretch out his paws! We found a place about 25 minutes outside CBD, big backyard and a reservation area few metres away so walkies is not a problem. We were asked by the owner to add a thousand to our bond which we agreed as by this time Sam would be released from Spotswood. Also, our Sam had reference letter from the kennel which knows our dog well to say that he's a good dog which was also submitted to the owners as part of reuirement.

Good luck.

Guest The Pom Queen
We were asked by the owner to add a thousand to our bond which we agreed as by this time Sam would be released from Spotswood.

This is actually an illegal practice for Victoria. Victoria does not permit the payment of pet bonds or deposits and if you have been asked to do so you should report this matter. However, most pet owners are so desperate to get a house/apartment that they just pay up without questioning this.:no:

Guest myboysinoz

Hi thanks,

We know, it was just hard that time because we had been living in a hotel for almost 2 months and our dog will be released less than a week. a few of people i know either with friends or desperate for time had to pay extra to get a property. It wasn't the estate agent, it was the owner of the property who asked for the extra.

• 2 months later...
Guest TraceyG

Hi,

I have recently joined this site and noticed that you were setting off a couple of days ago and are likely to have arrived in Melbourne now if you aren't stopping over on the way? Anyway, a big welcome to Melbourne, the weather's not great at the moment but it will change soon!

I have lived in rented accomodation in Sunbury for 12 months, we arrived at the end of June last year and like you had an idea of where we wanted to live. We had 2 weeks booked in holiday accomodation (hubby's work paid for it fortunately) in the city and made some appointments to look at houses that we had seen on realestate.com.au just before we set off. The agents generally won't answer emails because they have a fast turn around of rentals. Now you're here you should be able to find something quickly. The estate agent we use is called L J Whorlow in Sunbury and although we personally don't have any pets, most landlords will give you permission to have pets so long as you ask before moving in. My neighbours at either side are renters and both have dogs, I know one of my neighbours rents their property through Raine & Horne in Sunbury.

If you need any further advice, please don't hesitate to ask!

Good Luck with your search!

Tracey

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi,

I have recently joined this site and noticed that you were setting off a couple of days ago and are likely to have arrived in Melbourne now if you aren't stopping over on the way? Anyway, a big welcome to Melbourne, the weather's not great at the moment but it will change soon!

I have lived in rented accomodation in Sunbury for 12 months, we arrived at the end of June last year and like you had an idea of where we wanted to live. We had 2 weeks booked in holiday accomodation (hubby's work paid for it fortunately) in the city and made some appointments to look at houses that we had seen on realestate.com.au just before we set off. The agents generally won't answer emails because they have a fast turn around of rentals. Now you're here you should be able to find something quickly. The estate agent we use is called L J Whorlow in Sunbury and although we personally don't have any pets, most landlords will give you permission to have pets so long as you ask before moving in. My neighbours at either side are renters and both have dogs, I know one of my neighbours rents their property through Raine & Horne in Sunbury.

If you need any further advice, please don't hesitate to ask!

Good Luck with your search!

Tracey

Hi Tracey

Thank you for this information, I am sure it will be very useful for people coming over.

I was actually up at 3am this morning picking Sam and her family up from the airport. They have booked one of our properties in Berwick where they can have Harvey.:wubclub:

Guest Toorak Trev

If it was the owner you need to address it with the agent and let them deal with the owner.

They may be acting out of ignorance but the law is blind to such.

The bond itself should be more than enough and at the least the owner should be covered by their own landlord insurance and most tenants have contents insurance which if you ask also have cover for accidental damage to rental properties.

Archived