Samford, Cashmere, Eatons Hill, Ferny Grove

Guest Gaffers

Guest Gaffers

Doing a bit of research on different areas, as we plan to make the move from WA to QLD at the end of this year. Already looking into Buderim and surrounds, but also very interested in Samford, Cashmere, Eatons Hills, Ferny Grove areas.

We have 3 children 10, 8 and 6 and would love to hear all thoughts (the good, the bad & even the ugly!) We love the idea of being out of the city - but still accessible. A block no bigger than an acre. I would like to be near good schools - any info appreciated on private and state ones in the area.

How far is Samford, Cashmere etc to shopping, after school activities (e.g. dancing, gymnastics, soccer etc). Family friendly? Like the idea of being rural (ish), but not the back of beyond.

Any information on any particular estates, streets etc in the area, as we are always looking at houses for sale in these areas, and it's always good to have some local knowledge. We plan a visit July / August to narrow down this confusion, and decide what area is for us, then we can look into schools etc.

Would love to hear from anyone with any info on the areas mentioned.

Thanks.

Guest BirdB
Doing a bit of research on different areas, as we plan to make the move from WA to QLD at the end of this year. Already looking into Buderim and surrounds, but also very interested in Samford, Cashmere, Eatons Hills, Ferny Grove areas.

We have 3 children 10, 8 and 6 and would love to hear all thoughts (the good, the bad & even the ugly!) We love the idea of being out of the city - but still accessible. A block no bigger than an acre. I would like to be near good schools - any info appreciated on private and state ones in the area.

How far is Samford, Cashmere etc to shopping, after school activities (e.g. dancing, gymnastics, soccer etc). Family friendly? Like the idea of being rural (ish), but not the back of beyond.

Any information on any particular estates, streets etc in the area, as we are always looking at houses for sale in these areas, and it's always good to have some local knowledge. We plan a visit July / August to narrow down this confusion, and decide what area is for us, then we can look into schools etc.

Would love to hear from anyone with any info on the areas mentioned.

Thanks.

Hi,

We are also looking at these areas and visited in December to look at them so have a pretty good idea about whats what. We also have children 9 and 12 so have been looking at schools.

Samford is lovely, mountain veiws - my first choice if we can raise the extra cash to buy something there as it can be expensive - it has a very friendly village which has all you need, supermarket, doctors, post office, cafe, gift shops, pub and park. The houses are generally on big blocks just outside the village with many having acreage but there are also some available in the village which don't have as much land. There is also a good primary Samford School. We drove into Brisbane in 25 minutes which I was amazed by as you feel miles away, but it would take a lot longer in rush hour. Most people drive to Ferny grove station a 10 minute drive.

Ferny grove is also very nice, again all you need including a station but not such a rural feel although far from built up - Ferny hills is another of my favourites the houses are very high set and have lovely views. The school at Ferny Grove is meant to be good to but we are hoping to send ours to St Andrews which is the local Private school. We found it to be a very small friendly school and although Catholic, they are not concerned if you are not.

Don't know about Eatons Hill. We drove through Cashmere as we interested in the Greenwoods Estate which has lovely big blocks, about 1,000 to 1,500 sqm. Parts of it are still being developed and have yet to mature but there are parts which have had time to grow and look very nice and green. I don't know much about schools there as ran out of time but I'm sure they are fine.

Other areas to look at are Arana Hills, The Gap (very good high school).

Hope this helps PM me if you want to know more.

Bev

Guest carillion

Hi we are also moving from WA to either Queensland or back home to the UK. The move is dependant on a good school for our 7 yr old as its just not happening for us in WA. We are looking around the Samford or kemore Hills area so we would be very interested in any feedback you get. We are off Saturday for 2 weeks to have a look around. I have been advised Beenleigh is not a good area if that helps.

Cheers :spinny:

Guest Gaffers

Thanks for that - always good to hear as much information as possible.

I will be a look easier when we visit again July / August time, then hopefully we can narrow the search down a bit and start making constructive decisions! (well.......maybe not!)

Our friends that visited last month preferred Samford, Ferny Hills & Grove over The Gap area, but that was only their preference.

Keep checking this thread, and lets see if anyone else has any further info??

Thanks.

If i was to move North i would definately move to the Samford area, i did some research for another member on the area last year and it has everything you could need with the city within an easy commute. Lots of acerage so room to move but also some urban style estates with beautiful houses.

Have a look at these links

Samford | OzBurbs.com

MySamford Information and Business Portal

Samford Valley

Hope these help a little bit

Cal x

Guest Gaffers

Any thoughts on Joyner?? Any information appreciated from anyone!!

The house prices certainly seem more reasonable, but i still want that 'out of the city' feel. Anyone been around there, or have any further information on there; schools, amenities, etc... Yeah, like everyone else we don't want to sound 'up our own a!*#', but do want to live somewhere 'nice'.

All posts appreciated!

Cheers.

Guest Gaffers
Hi,

We are also looking at these areas and visited in December to look at them so have a pretty good idea about whats what. We also have children 9 and 12 so have been looking at schools.

Samford is lovely, mountain veiws - my first choice if we can raise the extra cash to buy something there as it can be expensive - it has a very friendly village which has all you need, supermarket, doctors, post office, cafe, gift shops, pub and park. The houses are generally on big blocks just outside the village with many having acreage but there are also some available in the village which don't have as much land. There is also a good primary Samford School. We drove into Brisbane in 25 minutes which I was amazed by as you feel miles away, but it would take a lot longer in rush hour. Most people drive to Ferny grove station a 10 minute drive.

Ferny grove is also very nice, again all you need including a station but not such a rural feel although far from built up - Ferny hills is another of my favourites the houses are very high set and have lovely views. The school at Ferny Grove is meant to be good to but we are hoping to send ours to St Andrews which is the local Private school. We found it to be a very small friendly school and although Catholic, they are not concerned if you are not.

Don't know about Eatons Hill. We drove through Cashmere as we interested in the Greenwoods Estate which has lovely big blocks, about 1,000 to 1,500 sqm. Parts of it are still being developed and have yet to mature but there are parts which have had time to grow and look very nice and green. I don't know much about schools there as ran out of time but I'm sure they are fine.

Other areas to look at are Arana Hills, The Gap (very good high school).

Hope this helps PM me if you want to know more.

Bev

Did you visit Joyner? All info appreciated!

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest30038

Joyner has the same feel of "being away from it all" with the added bonus of being cheaper than Samford.

Beware of that "need" though. We bought land out in the sticks when we first came here, then realised that getting to work, and getting the kids to school, was not only time consuming but expensive, so we sold up and bought in closer............it's no good seeking that kind of lifestyle if half your time is spent commuting and then you're too knackered to enjoy your own place when you get home.

I wouldn't like to commute from Samford daily, but cashmere and Joyner are a better option but can still be a grind when the traffic's on. What you also have to bear in mind is, that what now looks like a rural setting will eventually be no different than an urban setting as the estates grow (and they're growing fast), and Samford seems to be heading that way with new land being opened up for development all the time. If you're used to commuting, and don't mind it, well and good, but we came here to escape the 'rat runs" of the daily grind getting to work, getting the kids to school and not being able to choose schools

Take time to think about the future and not the now. We fell for the rural dream and regretted it, although once the kids fly the coop, it's still an option for us.

kev

Archived