Feeling pretty p***ed off - is this place just wierd?

Guest Susie

Guest Susie

Hi there

I'm feeling pretty hurt and upset by the parents at my son's school. About ten days ago I gave out party invitations asking them to a birthday party for his birthday next week. The closing date for rsvping was today. So far I've only heard from a few parents saying their kids are coming. As it stands it will not be able to go ahead as we don't have enough people. I know how busy it is when you have young kids but I think at least they could've let me know. Maybe I'm just being too sensitive but he will be gutted if I need to cancel it and how do I explain it to him. I don't give a s*** about presents but I just wanted him to enjoy himself. As I work most days, I've not been at the school to remind them so I've just done it by email (addresses from a contact list one of the parents gave me) but it really pained me to do so. I feel embarassed having to do this and I hope they don't think I'm hassling them. Maybe I'm just being over emotional but I feel like crying over this. He really loves school and is happy there and likes his class so this is disappointing. Maybe yet another reason to go home.

Susie :sad:

Guest guest17301

God it's awful when you feel your kids will be upset over something- I know how you feel-you mustn't take it personally, it won't be meant that way. It like you say about busy parents etc...poor you. I'm sure the birthday will be great..kids can easily be talked into something else if you do need to cancel, just make it seem like it's better than the original idea. Sorry you're feeling hurt...chin up xx

Guest Swing low sweet chariot

It may not be that they don't want their kids to come along. I think it's a case of I'll do that tomorrow, tomorrow comes and they don't reply and so it go's on. I have been amazed at the lethargy of trades men, companies and individuals who have failed to get back to me and I've got to chase them up. If they ran their business like that in the UK it would FAIL miserably.

Hope your son can have a wonderful Birthday and, don't be afraid to keep chasing them up.

Guest Susie

Thanks guys,

Within half an hour of sending the emails, I've already had 2 apologetic replies saying that their kids are definitely coming. One of them also said they've heard most Mums saying their kids are going. So I think I was just being over-sensitive and stressing and worrying about nothing. God, I feel so insecure here at times, never used to be like this.

Thanks for listening!!! :hug:

Its probably just cause you in a new place- I had that here in the UK last year for my sons 4th birthday party and had to chase people up . I think when its your kids you take it much more personally. Hope you all have a lovely time x

Just a word of caution here - communication is about communicating, and non-verbal communication is about 60%+ of all communication. So email is a pretty poor way of expressing yourself. If you were going to make the success of your party dependent on the actions of other people, then it would be better to speak to those people in person - a call, a visit, a chat at school. Not a criticism of you, understand that .... FYI and YMMV.

Guest Susie

Hi docboat

I know what you are saying but email is the only way I could contact them. I am working so my son goes to before and after school care and I don't see the mums much, face to face. I wasn't snippy, just kindly reminded them to let me know and said that I understood that they hadn't got round to it. Anyway, I've since had 5 positive replies and the party will be on!!! So it was the right thing to do, in this case.

Susie

Guest John Locke

Susie,

Glad it`s all working out, but honestly, don`t take it personal. We used to send out invites and then wait for the phone to ring, get all riled up because it seemed no one was going to come to our sons` parties, but have since learned that parents here will leave it to the last minute or even just turn up on the day (or even need just a little reminder, especially if you`re a new face and not a regular natterer at the school gates). We even do it ourselves now, walk past an invite on the fridge and say, oh yeah, we must phone them, and end up doing it the night before!!!

Guest Tracey Jay

hi susie, happy birthday to your son hope he enjoys his party. it pees me off here in the uk when parents don"t reply but i can imagain how you felt over there and getting no replies. glad it"s all worked out. you"ll get to meet the parents at the party and might even make some new friends yourself!! tracey

hi susie, happy birthday to your son hope he enjoys his party. it pees me off here in the uk when parents don"t reply but i can imagain how you felt over there and getting no replies. glad it"s all worked out. you"ll get to meet the parents at the party and might even make some new friends yourself!! tracey

Never know Susie "sliding doors" this could be what turns your world

Good luck hope the party is great and you make good friends.

X

God I feel so embarrased I am one of those parents you describe! I am always late sending everything. I have had 3 kids and I have worked full time all the time and I never no where I am from one day to the next. If I we get an invitation from school which says RSVP by a certain date you can guarentee that I will miss it. No mallace meant I just have so many things to think about.

I am glad you have heard from more people and that the party will go ahead. I hope you all have a great time.:wubclub:

Guest snow white

i must admit when my kids get invites im one of those that replies last minute too i know its the same old running around juggling school work and normal day to day household things so invites get put on the fridge door and i rsvp last minute after reading your post susie i will be making sure i rsvp well before hope your son had a fantastic birthday

all the best

lesleyx

If it's anything like our house then the parents may not have even seen the invitation - I've had them left in drawers at school, been at the bottom of the bag and given to me two days before, don't assume people were being rude, they may not have even known about it unless you handed it to them personally.

I've also had parents in the UK not RSVP and just turn up or not come at all .... it's a universal problem of childrens parties i'm afraid

As I started to read your post had a smile as I thought bet they all turn up whether they said they would not not. Not everyone RSVP's for even the most important things, I know my son never has for weddings and engagements etc he says "they know I will be coming".

Parties seem to be bigger and better these days, McDonalds was a favourite when my children where young and Pizza Hut. That way you arranged it they brought them, they picked them up and no mess at home.

Glad you've had some more replies but yes i wouldnt worry, i had the same thing with my daughters party only i had alot say they would come then half didnt turn up, we had enough kids anyway and the party was great, the others missed out and its not worth losing sleep about. Hope your son has a great bday and party.

Guest Susie

Hi Suzy

That's spooky, I was just reading a post by you on another thread, the boy who's come out here on his own and is freaking a bit. How brave of you coming out on your own with your little girl, I admire your courage. So obviously, you probably can't manage nite out as I'd suggested to you due to lack of babysitter. If you'd like to meet up with kids sometime, let me know.

No, it isn't worth losing sleep over and we've had more than enough replies now.

Thanks

Susie

Guest boomerangpommie

My whole of experience of communication with people in Australia is that people seem to be very laid back about getting back to you about ANYTHING and in this I include emailing to enquire about places in schools, about jobs, whatever, I always needed to chase people up. This laid back attitude was something that I thought I would really welcome there but it just really wound me up and also made me feel a little sensitive sometimes.

Guest Susie

Thanks everyone for you kind replies. Guess I was just being a bit paranoid, but as someone said, we are more sensitive when it comes to our kids.

Guest tlander56

yep...same thing happened to me a few weeks ago.....I was ranting to another mother about how rude and ignorant it is not to even have the decency to reply, when the teacher overheard...I think she thought I was a complete nutter, so offered to speak to the non replying parents for me......rude lot

Guest trigger

How stressful, let us know how the party goes, stressfree ! Hope you all have fun

Richard & Jo

I think when we come to our own children we are over protective and we want what is best for them ( i do anyway ). My daughter is 5 tomorrow so i have organised a party for her, she only invited about 12 out of her class, as she is quite shy and only plays with a few girls. Unfortunately there is only 5 who can make it, as there is another boy in the class who is having his party at the same time, so people have already said yes to his. I felt abit gutted about Arwen but she doesn't seem bothered, and with my other 3 children and some of their friends, i'm sure she will have a fab time. There was still one parent who didn't bother to reply, but never mind.

Tania X

Archived