Yr 10 Options-is it similar in Oz??

Guest johno1

Guest johno1

Hi everyone

My son is currently in yr9 in the UK and we are planning to move to QLD at the end of July.

He has selected his options in his current school and I was wondering if the process is similar in Oz and, if so, at what stage do pupils select which subjects they are going to study?

Any info greatly appreciated

Debby

Guest kdal

Hi Debby, Hows you?

Your son will be fine, we came here in the December and the children had already selected their options, lucky enough Jordan managed to get his OK. He is in year 10. You have to pay for them but they are not alot of money

Kimx

Kids choose options at the beginning of each year up to year 10 really and then at year 11 they choose their 11/12 options which will carry them through to their year 12 assessment. So year 10 is not too late!

Guest johno1

HI Kim, we are all well thanks. Looking forward to the move now even thought we are prepared to be 'poor' again for a while!!

How is Jordan finding the school Kim? I'm assuming the curriculum varies from the UK considerably?

Thanks also to Quoll for your advice. I am assuming that the school years-as in my son would be due to go into yr 10 in Sept so he will go into yr10 in Oz???

HI Kim, we are all well thanks. Looking forward to the move now even thought we are prepared to be 'poor' again for a while!!

How is Jordan finding the school Kim? I'm assuming the curriculum varies from the UK considerably?

Thanks also to Quoll for your advice. I am assuming that the school years-as in my son would be due to go into yr 10 in Sept so he will go into yr10 in Oz???

Assume nothing about the Aus system is the same as UK - for starters there isnt an Aus system, just a hotchpotch of state systems all of which have different cut off dates:arghh:

All depends on the state you are going to but in very general terms a kid would begin year 10 either just having turned 15 (since April or July) or just about to turn 15 (before April or July). Sorry if that sounds gobbledeygook but the states are all different. Try here for a thumbnail sketch of the situation Education in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LOL, as Quoll says, ASSUME NOTHING!!! It all depends when your child's birthday is and what state you are going to. Let us know and I am sure someone will have the correct answer for you!

Rudi

Guest kdal

Hi Debby, If you are prepared to be poor then you will be very happy here:biglaugh:

Jordan went into year 10 in the UK in Sept and then in Australia started yr 10 in January, his birth date is 01/11/93 - he could have gone into yr 11, but we thought yr 10 would be best for him so that he could settle well and he has.

Your son wil be fine starting here in year 10, so dont worry.

Kimx

Archived