and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest humphreydoodle

Perth cost of living

Guest humphreydoodle

Hi

We are thinking of moving to Perth at the end of the year from Melbourne. My sister lives in Perth but informs me that the cost of living in Perth is very high, much higher than the UK. I would be grateful to hear other peoples views on this. So far in Melbourne I think cost of living is on a par with the UK, if not a bit cheaper.

Thanks to those who reply.

Deb :wideeyed:

Guest Guruju

Here's some info I posted recently to a similar post to yours. I am in Perth.

Here's some example costs from my own household budget which may help you plan your budget and therefore have an idea on what you need

Annual Rates $921 (home owner) but if you are renting you will need 4 weeks rent as a bond and usually 2 weeks rent in advance.

Electricity

28 Aug - 29 Oct 08 (62 days) $159.95

29 Oct - 29 Dec 08 (61 days) $163.20

29 Dec - 27 Feb 09 (60 days) $267.30 (as this is Summer time bill its always the highest)

Gas

16/01/08 to 10/03 08 (54 days) $54

10/03 08 to 16/04/08 (37 days) $37

Basically a $1 per day on average for cooking and water heating.

Food we spend around $200 per week - 2 adults and 4 dogs. We also eat out/have BBQs a lot on top of that.

Fuel - an estate car around $50 a week (used for work so higher fuel needs) and a 4WD $300 per month (tow the boat and go off roading). Cost is higher when we take the camper trailer on holiday probably 4 times a year.

Rego - vehicles both cost around $550 each per year plus insurance of about $800 each per year.

Home Phone - $70 a month

Mobiles - $70 a month

Foxtel $100 a month

Choosing a place to live where you can walk to most things schools/Drs/shopping centre will help minimise costs. Living close to bus/train access points will also help minimise costs in the early days (which is how I eeked out my money when I first got here).

My first car cost me $6k second hand.

Guest humphreydoodle

Thanks Guruju, that is really helpful.

That makes me feel better, so the move to Perth should still be on!

Deb

Guest guest17301

I agree with Gurujus figures, very close to our outgoings and we too are in Perth, a family of 4

Guest hels

wow gas is cheeaaap

cant belive how much foxtel, phones are though, seems vast compared to what i pay right now !

i guess it balances out though

Do you have to pay water bills, council tax etc there ? or is that annual rates ?

Hi

We are thinking of moving to Perth at the end of the year from Melbourne. My sister lives in Perth but informs me that the cost of living in Perth is very high, much higher than the UK. I would be grateful to hear other peoples views on this. So far in Melbourne I think cost of living is on a par with the UK, if not a bit cheaper.

Thanks to those who reply.

Deb :wideeyed:

It depeds what you include in 'cost of living' housing is expensive in Perth compared to Melbourne. $500K doesn't buy much where I am and as a full-time working mum I need to live less than an hour from the CBD. If you can live on a new estate further out then it's a bit better.

Jules

Guest Guruju
wow gas is cheeaaap

cant belive how much foxtel, phones are though, seems vast compared to what i pay right now !

i guess it balances out though

Do you have to pay water bills, council tax etc there ? or is that annual rates ?

Annual rates is council tax, yes.

Water bills - annual charge is around $550 per year plus water usage - just got a bill $223 from 31 October to 30 April.

Just to clarify on Foxtel - for the $100 we are on the Platinum top package - you can, of course tailor your package to a lower one.

Mobile phones $70 a month covers 2 phones, one is for my business and the other is a personal one, so mine may be higher than most. Phone plans start from as little as $20 per month for personal plans. Hope that clarifies.

regards

Julia

Guest Guruju
It depeds what you include in 'cost of living' housing is expensive in Perth compared to Melbourne. $500K doesn't buy much where I am and as a full-time working mum I need to live less than an hour from the CBD. If you can live on a new estate further out then it's a bit better.

Jules

I live in Rockingham in an older style house (built mid 1970s in double brick and tile) on 800sqm near the beach, train station and shopping centre, right by a park and walking distance to schools. Currently these are going for $300,000 to $450,000. Cheaper than Perth and only 30 mins by train to the City.

So it pays to have a good look around - there are still pockets of cheaper properties.

Cheers

Julia

Jules

Bloody hell jules you could liive Two Rocks or mandurah both ! hour drive to CBD any else is less so covers the metro district 500 get you a nice 4 x 2 some with pools nor or sor but not in the puppy areas ( work that one out lol no offense but its funny

Here at last:jiggy:

SUFC life not a pastime

I limit myself to 2 drinks a day, I`m now 10 years in front make that 15

Hi i am moving to perth from the uk later this year, my work place will be in welshpool could you recommend some suburbs to live in, also any help on cost of living 2012

thanks in advance

The above on rates is intresting as my rates are a lot higher my rates for a 4x2 are about $1700 a year , water rates almost the same plus exess water , i also have a villa in viveash on a strata title and the shire rates there are 1300 a year with about water rates a little under that, plus exess water on top of that , one is in shire of joondalup the other in shire of swan .

Hi i am moving to perth from the uk later this year, my work place will be in welshpool could you recommend some suburbs to live in, also any help on cost of living 2012

thanks in advance

have a look at wattle grove , high wycombe , forrestfield , maida vale,and belmont , kalamunda and lesmurdie are nice too but A bit more costly

Here's some info I posted recently to a similar post to yours. I am in Perth.

Here's some example costs from my own household budget which may help you plan your budget and therefore have an idea on what you need

Annual Rates $921 (home owner) but if you are renting you will need 4 weeks rent as a bond and usually 2 weeks rent in advance.

Electricity

28 Aug - 29 Oct 08 (62 days) $159.95

29 Oct - 29 Dec 08 (61 days) $163.20

29 Dec - 27 Feb 09 (60 days) $267.30 (as this is Summer time bill its always the highest)

Gas

16/01/08 to 10/03 08 (54 days) $54

10/03 08 to 16/04/08 (37 days) $37

Basically a $1 per day on average for cooking and water heating.

Food we spend around $200 per week - 2 adults and 4 dogs. We also eat out/have BBQs a lot on top of that.

Fuel - an estate car around $50 a week (used for work so higher fuel needs) and a 4WD $300 per month (tow the boat and go off roading). Cost is higher when we take the camper trailer on holiday probably 4 times a year.

Rego - vehicles both cost around $550 each per year plus insurance of about $800 each per year.

Home Phone - $70 a month

Mobiles - $70 a month

Foxtel $100 a month

Choosing a place to live where you can walk to most things schools/Drs/shopping centre will help minimise costs. Living close to bus/train access points will also help minimise costs in the early days (which is how I eeked out my money when I first got here).

My first car cost me $6k second hand.

Depends on the house you choose to rent. Clearly you don't have a pool or aircon. My summer electric bill for 60 days was $752. 2 adults, 2 kids aged 15 and 10 $350 per week at Woolworths. Gas bill for 3 months, we have instant gas water costs $200. 4 people showering every day soon bumps the gas up. Full package foxtel $150. 4 mobile phones, broadband and home phone $280 per month.

As you can see it all depends on where you choose to live.

im glad your bills are the same as mine i was beggining to worry myself there for a minute !lol

Get solar water save your 200 Bucks use the ocean sorted

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?u2ifab

Here at last:jiggy:

SUFC life not a pastime

I limit myself to 2 drinks a day, I`m now 10 years in front make that 15