UK Nurses require IELTS from 01 July

Welshtone

I am not sure if this has been already been highlighted but for those who have not heard - All nurses who apply to ANMC will require minimum7 in ACADEMIC IELTS in each of the 4 categories or a minimum B in each of the 4 categories of an OET Test.

New Zealand brought this in on 01 Jan 2009 so getting NZ registration will not get around this. I checked with ANMC last week about getting registration with a State or Territory and then applying for a modified ANMC assessment and they claim that all State and Territory Boards will be changing their English language requirements by 01 July.

so, get the ANMC lodged prior to 01 July if possible.

http://www.visabureau.com/blog/category/Australia.aspx

Regards

You'd think that training in England and sitting your exams in English would be enough to prove your competency wouldn't you. Do you know why they've included it as if you trained in England you used to be exempt.

Guest shonz
I am not sure if this has been already been highlighted but for those who have not heard - All nurses who apply to ANMC will require minimum7 in ACADEMIC IELTS in each of the 4 categories or a minimum B in each of the 4 categories of an OET Test.

New Zealand brought this in on 01 Jan 2009 so getting NZ registration will not get around this. I checked with ANMC last week about getting registration with a State or Territory and then applying for a modified ANMC assessment and they claim that all State and Territory Boards will be changing their English language requirements by 01 July.

so, get the ANMC lodged prior to 01 July if possible.

Visa Bureau Blog - Australia

Regards

Hi Guys

Let me get this right.... I was successful in getting my skills assessment on 23rd Feb 09.... but have not yet registered with WA. so do i have to sit the test if i apply to WA for registration after 1st July.

Thanks Shonz xx

Guest johnl

may i ask what happen to those international students studying nursing in australia?

will they be forced to sit ielts upon completion to get registered into ANMC?

cheers

Guest mollyb

Hi Shonz,

I v'e just registered with WA nursing board and I didn't have to sit the test. I've checked their web site and there is no mention of this being a requirement after July. NSW are now asking for it and I've read that it is probable that other states will follow suit but not definite. If I were you I would just register now just in-case! It only took 6 weeks to get mine through and the ANMC will pass on your file so that you don't have to get all of your docs certified again. I sat the general IELTS for the extra visa points and although it's not difficult, you can do without the extra cost and time it takes. Full 3 hours solid in exam conditions!!

Lesley.

I do know that the public has been worried for some time about the English skills of doctors and nurses and there has been problems. Of course when they change things they change it for everyone who applies whether English is their first language or not.

You don't register with the ANMC they are purely a body set up to assess skills. The assessment I think is valid for 2 years. There are moves to have a single point of registration (like the NMC in the UK), rather than registering with individual states.

Guest ozivisas

As of 1 July 2009, all internationally-qualified nurses and midwives applying for assessment to the ANMC under the general skilled migration scheme will be required to complete an English proficiency test. New Zealand registered nurses and midwives are exempt from providing English proficiency under the Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition Act 1997.

IELTS / OET Levels

A pass level of 7 in all four bands of the IELTS Academic test or a B level in all four bands of the OET will be required in one sitting. The test will be valid for a period of two years.

Guest Lyndhurst

Hi

can any one answer my question please.

i am due to qualify as a midwife in september and we are applying on OH visa hes a carpenter. (visa already in no IELTS required for him)

once i qualify we will be flying out a week or so later. before i apply for a job, i know i will have to register with the state i will be working in, but will i need IELTS to reg with Queensland, as i wont be having my skills assesses for the visa.

this is all so confusing.

thanks all

cheryl xx

As I understood from one of the other posts some (if not all) of the state nursing boards will be bringing in the test in order to register. Therefore, if it's a requirement when you apply then you will have to do it. Restistration with a state board has nothing to do with the visas

Ali

Guest shonz
Hi Shonz,

I v'e just registered with WA nursing board and I didn't have to sit the test. I've checked their web site and there is no mention of this being a requirement after July. NSW are now asking for it and I've read that it is probable that other states will follow suit but not definite. If I were you I would just register now just in-case! It only took 6 weeks to get mine through and the ANMC will pass on your file so that you don't have to get all of your docs certified again. I sat the general IELTS for the extra visa points and although it's not difficult, you can do without the extra cost and time it takes. Full 3 hours solid in exam conditions!!

Lesley.

Hi Lesley

Thanks for your advice, I think your right i will actually apply for registration. did you

e mail or write to ANMC or do WA request documents. how long does registration last for and how much is it.

Many Thanks

Shonz xx:spinny:

Guest mollyb
Hi Lesley

Thanks for your advice, I think your right i will actually apply for registration. did you

e mail or write to ANMC or do WA request documents. how long does registration last for and how much is it.

Many Thanks

Shonz xx:spinny:

Hi Shonz,

the application fee is £110 and registration fee is £63. The e-mail for ANMC is internationalsection@anmc.org.au. It did take 3 mails before I got a response to say that they had passed on my file. It's probably better you do it now as they wouldn't accept the verification from the NMC that I got for the skills assessment last April as it had to be recent! So had another £34 to pay. The nursing board in WA contacted me 6 days after I sent off the application form! Very helpful. It runs until Dec 31st, so I assume this is when registrations are due. It's still worth it even if it may runs out before you arrive you can re-register on line. £63 not too bad.

Lesley:wubclub:

Guest shonz
Hi Shonz,

the application fee is £110 and registration fee is £63. The e-mail for ANMC is internationalsection@anmc.org.au. It did take 3 mails before I got a response to say that they had passed on my file. It's probably better you do it now as they wouldn't accept the verification from the NMC that I got for the skills assessment last April as it had to be recent! So had another £34 to pay. The nursing board in WA contacted me 6 days after I sent off the application form! Very helpful. It runs until Dec 31st, so I assume this is when registrations are due. It's still worth it even if it may runs out before you arrive you can re-register on line. £63 not too bad.

Lesley:wubclub:

Hi Lesley

Sorry to be a pain, but did you put a covering letter in with your application advising them that you had your skills approved by ANMC and that you had instructed ANMC to forward you file to them (WA).

Thanks Shonz xx:spinny:

Guest mollyb
Hi Lesley

Sorry to be a pain, but did you put a covering letter in with your application advising them that you had your skills approved by ANMC and that you had instructed ANMC to forward you file to them (WA).

Thanks Shonz xx:spinny:

Hi Shonz,

It's no problem at all, anything to help out. To cut a long storey short, I originally planned on going to Melbourne, so got the ANMC to send on my file to Vic nursing board, but I never did apply there as we changed our minds to Perth!! I suppose I didn't want to complicate matters again, so I just gathered all the documents required and got them certified again to send off to WA. Only cost me £5 with a local solicitor. I do know that loads have had there files sent on and avoided this and from what I recall, they do put in a covering letter. Just make sure you get confirmation that it is sent before you apply for registration.

Good luck.

Lesleyx

I have become confusd, can someone just clarify, I am applying for registration with Victoria, will I be required to sit an english test even though I studied in England?

It looks like you have to do the Ilets for Victoria

English language competency is a vitally important factor in the nurse's ability to deliver safe care in any clinical setting where English is the primary language of communication.

The nurse's ability to communicate effectively with patients/clients, relatives and colleagues is central to a positive therapeutic relationship with those in their care.

Because of the importance of English language competency, the Board may refuse to grant registration if an applicant’s competency in speaking or communicating in English is not sufficient for that person to practise as a nurse, pursuant to s. 6(2)(f) Health Professions Registration Act 2005.

Review of the requirement is ongoing nationally and internationally in order that we can maintain an English language policy which is fair to the applicant and maintains the safety of the public.

The Board’s current English language requirement is:

• Pass the Occupational English Test (OET) Nursing version, with at least a B pass or above in all four subtests

Please note that the result achieved in any individual subtest is valid for two (2) years from the date that subtest was passed.

OR

• Pass the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic test, with a score of at least 6.5 in Reading and Listening, and a score of at least 7 in Writing and Speaking and an overall band score of 7

Please note that the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic test assessment has a validity period of two (2) years from the date of the test.

Further Information

image_gallery?img_id=11466&t=1220539661833English Language Requirements Policy

image_gallery?img_id=11466&t=1220539661833English Language Competency

Guest Lyndhurst
It looks like you have to do the Ilets for Victoria

English language competency is a vitally important factor in the nurse's ability to deliver safe care in any clinical setting where English is the primary language of communication.

The nurse's ability to communicate effectively with patients/clients, relatives and colleagues is central to a positive therapeutic relationship with those in their care.

Because of the importance of English language competency, the Board may refuse to grant registration if an applicant’s competency in speaking or communicating in English is not sufficient for that person to practise as a nurse, pursuant to s. 6(2)(f) Health Professions Registration Act 2005.

Review of the requirement is ongoing nationally and internationally in order that we can maintain an English language policy which is fair to the applicant and maintains the safety of the public.

The Board’s current English language requirement is:

• Pass the Occupational English Test (OET) Nursing version, with at least a B pass or above in all four subtests

Please note that the result achieved in any individual subtest is valid for two (2) years from the date that subtest was passed.

OR

• Pass the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic test, with a score of at least 6.5 in Reading and Listening, and a score of at least 7 in Writing and Speaking and an overall band score of 7

Please note that the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic test assessment has a validity period of two (2) years from the date of the test.

Further Information

image_gallery?img_id=11466&t=1220539661833English Language Requirements Policy

image_gallery?img_id=11466&t=1220539661833English Language Competency

Hi thanks for the info/...

can i ask is this the same in Qld, as i will be applying to for reg. in Qld but wisll not qualify till september so we cannot do anything till then. (going on OH visa he is a carpenter)

thanks cheryl xx

The information on the Queensland Nursing Council website is currently:

Will I need to do an English language test?

You will not need to do an English language test if you completed your nursing/midwifery education in the United Kingdom, United States of America, New Zealand or Ireland.

If you completed your nursing/midwifery education in a country other than the United Kingdom, United States of America, New Zealand or Ireland and have not worked in an English speaking environment, you will need to do an English language test.

If you completed your nursing/midwifery education in South Africa, you will need to provide evidence your course was conducted in English and you have practised in an English speaking environment for a minimum of twelve months in the last five years.

If you completed your nursing/midwifery education in Canada, you will need to provide evidence your initial nursing education was completed in Canada, that you gained registration in Canada through examination and that the examination was in English.

It may be worth contacting to verify this

Archived