Britain is heading for a BBQ summer

Guest Aldo

Guest nikkichap

I heard it was going to be a hot one. About time! Last two summers have been a wash out. Just as well I'm taking the BBQ back with me. Looking forward to sitting in a pub garden with it still being light at 9.30pm.

Guest kdal

I hope the news is right this year as every year they say the UK will have a heat wave and the longest Summer ever but it never happens.

UK normally have a heatwave week and every year they had that we would be abroad, sooo annoying when your friends back home would tell you how hot it was when you had just paid a fortune for abit of sun:biglaugh:

May generally has a good week or two in the UK , and Yes Nikki the long summer nights in the garden or the pub gardens are what I will miss , gives you a feel good factor sitting chatting outside for hours

Enjoy the summer UK:cool:

Guest snow white
I heard it was going to be a hot one. About time! Last two summers have been a wash out. Just as well I'm taking the BBQ back with me. Looking forward to sitting in a pub garden with it still being light at 9.30pm.

thats one of the things we truly miss dusk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

enjoy hon

lesley x

Guest brooksey
thats one of the things we truly miss dusk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

enjoy hon

lesley x

Me too, sat with dog or sttod with mates outside the pubs all night. I will miss that.

Guest nikkichap

One of the things I thought we would be doing in Australia in the evenings is sitting outside with a glass of wine, no tv just conversation or maybe a book.

We have sat outside about 3 times in the evenings due to the huge flying bugs that come out at night. Even with bug zappers, nasty scented candles and smothered in Aerogard still didn't stop the buggers. Hard to sit outside when you are constantly ducking or slapping yourself as you try and kill one that has landed on you. I know you get midges in the UK but never have I had bites as bad as ones i've had here. One thing I definately won't miss!

Guest snow white

i have to admit my favourite perfume isnt rid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lesley x

Guest nikkichap
wasn't it summer 76 that followed a really cold winter too?

know what you all mean about sitting outside we have given up , eaten alive ...

Not sure, but I know my boys were gutted that they missed out on all the snow the UK had. They haven't really seen proper snow! If it is a hot summer then fingers crossed for a snowy winter!

Guest Swing low sweet chariot

Something to look really forward too when we finally leave Australia; long summer evenings, no damn flies/bugs, warm sunny days (not searing death heat).

God, how I miss all that and much, much more!

Well, I don't know if it's just me but the whole 9:30pm daylight thing is a bit of a mystery, at most I'd say you have a a month of this, so that's 4 weekends worth of sitting in a beer garden into the evening, not worth getting too excited about imo. I don't remember the evenings closing in depressingly early and I travelled around Oz through the autumn to spring time. I won't miss the going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark thing for 4-5 months in the UK. Granted the bug's are a bit of a head ache.

The snow came down for 2-3 days and caused a ridiculous amount of 'chaos' (daily mail language but they all papers do it at the first snow flake) and had turned to ice and slush within 4-5 days of the first snow flake landing, again not worth getting excited about imo, this was the first significant amount of snow for years!

slap on the insect repellant buy a mosquito net and think about sitting in traffic, in the dark going to and from work between October and March, or alternatively with your face in somebody elses arm pit lol.

I love the UK but it does have it's draw backs.

Guest mjple
Well, I don't know if it's just me but the whole 9:30pm daylight thing is a bit of a mystery, at most I'd say you have a a month of this, so that's 4 weekends worth of sitting in a beer garden into the evening, not worth getting too excited about imo. I don't remember the evenings closing in depressingly early and I travelled around Oz through the autumn to spring time. I won't miss the going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark thing for 4-5 months in the UK. Granted the bug's are a bit of a head ache.

The snow came down for 2-3 days and caused a ridiculous amount of 'chaos' (daily mail language but they all papers do it at the first snow flake) and had turned to ice and slush within 4-5 days of the first snow flake landing, again not worth getting excited about imo, this was the first significant amount of snow for years!

slap on the insect repellant buy a mosquito net and think about sitting in traffic, in the dark going to and from work between October and March, or alternatively with your face in somebody elses arm pit lol.

I love the UK but it does have it's draw backs.

Ha ha thanks for that post, I was beginning to think I had ventured into the twilight zone. Long summer nights?? Floods and torrential rain more like. The last two years have been some of the wettest since records began, pubs are closing at the rate of 50 a month due to smoking bans and the price of alcohol.

I have just come back from Queensland's autumn where it rained a fair bit with a chilly 24c to a sunny UK at 16c and bloody freezing. However I am hoping for the BBQ summer, can I propose you all get your beach reservations and parking spots for the beach now as they will be filling up rapidly. Last year it was a half mile from the nearest parking place to our local beach in Joss Bay.

Guest Aldo

The whinging pom label is starting to make sense now :chatterbox:

I think some might be in for a shock when it omes to aussies weather and daylight hours.:eek:

Winter strikes early across southeast

15:26 EST Frost will remain widespread across southeastern Australia during the next few nights with temperatures dropping to near record levels for this early in the year.

Wettest April in Brisbane for at least nine years

14:47 EST Brisbane has just experienced its wettest April in at least nine years, according to weatherzone.com.au.

Melbourne records coldest April morning since 1957

12:29 EST Melbourne has recorded its coldest April morning in more than 50 years.

Frosty nights setting in a month before winter

14:59 EST Frost will be the norm for the next few nights and early mornings in the prone areas of southeastern Australia, yet winter is more than a month away.

Minus 13 degrees - the coldest it's been in April

14:58 EST A new Australian record was set early this morning, a temperature of minus 13 degrees, at Charlotte Pass on the Snowy Mountains.

Good rain predicted for southern Qld

12:09 EST The weather bureau says southern Queensland has a strong chance of receiving higher than average rainfall over the next three months.

A touch of frost for southern QLD

19:07 EST Despite being well away from the snowfalls of southern New South Wales and Victoria, Queensland has been brushed by the icy fingers of winter, five weeks out from the official start of the season.

Snow news is good news - for some

17:33 EST A winter wonderland has resided over southeastern Australia for the last few days, with icy winds and heavy snow showers gracing the slopes of Victoria, New South Wales and Tasmania.

Guest guest17301

Well here in Perth it is just beautiful...must have been around 25 at least today..nearly winter...just slightly different from late Autumn in the UK. Summer in the UK (proper summer) is great, beacause it's such a novelty! Usually a week in June and maybe a few good weeks in July/Aug are all you can hope for. We've been in Perth over 3 months now and had around 4 slightly cooler/rainy days up to now, otherwise it's been dry sunny and warm to hot..lovely! I know where I'd rather be!

Guest mjple

Brisbane for the next week is average 24 in the day and 15 at night, all but one day sunny.

London for the next week is half rain half sun and average 17 in the day and 7 at night.

So UK in almost summer has days that are barely warmer than Australian nights almost in winter, and that is without me using the mountain slopes to exaggerate my point as others have.

Guest Aldo
Brisbane for the next week is average 24 in the day and 15 at night, all but one day sunny.

London for the next week is half rain half sun and average 17 in the day and 7 at night.

So UK in almost summer has days that are barely warmer than Australian nights almost in winter, and that is without me using the mountain slopes to exaggerate my point as others have.

Look i'm by no means

exaggerate my points
my previous post was from

Weather News

and it was from all over Australia (although Perth fairs well:wubclub:)

I lived in Brisbane and clearly remember scraping frost of my car and it being pitch black at 7am then dark a 5pm and all lights out at 9pm (everyone gone to bed!!:SLEEP:)

Summers are wet and sticky and most of QLD floods most years. Central heating is rare as is insulation in most of Australia and windows are useless, you WILL be colder in your new Aussie home than you where in you UK home believe me..

Guest mjple

Well that does not bode well, my wife is perpetually cold in the UK, our home is like living in a sauna all year round and she is still cold somehow.:spinny:

The problem is that Britain doesn't have a 'guaranteed' summer anymore.

Other countries do.

If it is a 'nice' summer this year it will be the first one for a few years, and who knows when the next one will be? Not necessarily next 'summer'!!

Guest Andy
The whinging pom label is starting to make sense now :chatterbox:

I think some might be in for a shock when it omes to aussies weather and daylight hours.:eek:

Winter strikes early across southeast

15:26 EST Frost will remain widespread across southeastern Australia during the next few nights with temperatures dropping to near record levels for this early in the year.

Wettest April in Brisbane for at least nine years

14:47 EST Brisbane has just experienced its wettest April in at least nine years, according to weatherzone.com.au.

Melbourne records coldest April morning since 1957

12:29 EST Melbourne has recorded its coldest April morning in more than 50 years.

Frosty nights setting in a month before winter

14:59 EST Frost will be the norm for the next few nights and early mornings in the prone areas of southeastern Australia, yet winter is more than a month away.

Minus 13 degrees - the coldest it's been in April

14:58 EST A new Australian record was set early this morning, a temperature of minus 13 degrees, at Charlotte Pass on the Snowy Mountains.

Good rain predicted for southern Qld

12:09 EST The weather bureau says southern Queensland has a strong chance of receiving higher than average rainfall over the next three months.

A touch of frost for southern QLD

19:07 EST Despite being well away from the snowfalls of southern New South Wales and Victoria, Queensland has been brushed by the icy fingers of winter, five weeks out from the official start of the season.

Snow news is good news - for some

17:33 EST A winter wonderland has resided over southeastern Australia for the last few days, with icy winds and heavy snow showers gracing the slopes of Victoria, New South Wales and Tasmania.

Bloody hell Aldo you are turning into Earlswood with all these stats!

Guest trigger

Must admit we really look foward to Earlswoods comments.Good to see a bit of banter.lol

Archived