Bobj

BobJ Reminiscing...

Love your posts Bobj - keep em coming x

• Like 2

Moneycorp

Moneycorp

Reading a post on another forum reminded me of a couple of incidents during my time working with the Main Roads Dept. in the East Kimberley area

The first was at Parry Creek Lagoons Wildlife  Refuge area, on the way to Wyndham. I had to view an old gravel pit for possible future work  and had to cross the Refuge. On the way is a small hill and, in a corner was a small camp that had 4 large bird cages full of rare finches, possibly about 100 birds, mainly star finches and blood finches with some zebra finches...I pulled up in the WA Govt. car and let the birds go. No-one was about and I doubt if anyone would have done anything in a wildlife refuge had they seen me freeing the birds...

The second was similar, going to a gravel pit on the Gibb River Road, towards El Questro station. I knew of a number of overhanging rock shelters in that area, so decided to have a look at them for the Aboriginal paintings. Now, the WA Govt. car was very useful...I pulled up about 20 metres away and saw 2 men digging for native implements. As soon as they saw the WA registration plates AND the big radio antenna, they packed up and got out fast...When they left, I had a squiz at their 'work'. They had dug a hole about 1 metre wide, 2 metres long and 30 cm deep with lots of sieved material...

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 2

On 04/10/2017 at 05:55, Bobj said:

The second was similar, going to a gravel pit on the Gibb River Road, towards El Questro station. I knew of a number of overhanging rock shelters in that area, so decided to have a look at them for the Aboriginal paintings. Now, the WA Govt. car was very useful...I pulled up about 20 metres away and saw 2 men digging for native implements. As soon as they saw the WA registration plates AND the big radio antenna, they packed up and got out fast...When they left, I had a squiz at their 'work'. They had dug a hole about 1 metre wide, 2 metres long and 30 cm deep with lots of sieved material...

Cheers, Bobj.

Was there anything exciting in the hole.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

1 hour ago, The Pom Queen said:

Was there anything exciting in the hole.

I presume they had taken a few spear heads. There were some stone chippings scattered around the site.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1