Castle Hills Schools

Guest family p

Guest family p

Hi,

We plan to move out to Sydney in August with our two children (14 and 9).

Can someone make school selection/charges a little simpler please. I understand that the academic year starts in January ?? If we move to Castle Hiils (or surrounding areas) in August, without having enrolled them anywhere, Is it likely that we will still get places and into school for the new year?

Thanks

Guest vanita suman

Hi there,

We moved to Castle Hill from the UK in October last year and my son who is 5 started Kindergarten (Reception) in January this year. Every school has a drawing/catchment area and as long as you live in that area, they have to give you a place in the school whether you turn up at the beginning of the school year or not. If you prefer a school not in the catchment area for where you live, they may still accept your child. When we arrived we went and saw about 6 schools in and out of our catchment area and they were all willing to enrol my son. He goes to Castle Hill Public School which I would definately recommend as an excellent schools. In fact all the schools in the Hills District are very good and you will rarely find a bad school in this area.

We had to pay for school's books and excursions when my son joined which amounted to $250 for the year and apart from that and uniform there was nothing else to pay. But then, we are Australian Citizens as we lived in Australia from 2001 to 2005 and then went back to the UK. You may have to pay more if you are not a permanent resident or citizen but the school still has to accept your child if you fall within the catchment area.

Let me know if you need any further info.

Vanita

If you live within the zone for a school you will get a place. If you decide you want your kids at a school outside the area where you are, you will only get a spot if they have space.

All the schools in that area are great. Castle Hill is a very big school. Samuel Gilbert which is also in Castle Hill is an excellent school. Also take a look at Oakhill Drive and Glenhaven Schools. My personal choice would be Glenhaven. I have taught in all these schools so have first hand knowledge of them.

Rudi

Guest family p

Thanks for your replies, reassuring to hear we should get places in schools. We will be in Oz on temporary visas initially, I beleive we have to pay school fees- any ideas the cost of this?

We are coming over in three weeks for a week and were trying to get everything sorted whilst out there, do you think this is possible or would we better sorting it when we are out there permanently?

How do you find family life in Castle Hills?

No doubt as our trip gets closer there will be lots of question.... thanks in advance.

Guest vanita suman

Hi there,

We sorted out serviced apartments in Castle Hill and a car hire before leaving the UK but left the schools till we got here. We rung the schools we were interested in when we arrived and went and had a look around and then enrolled our son where we felt most comfortable. I would recommend Absolute Waterfront Apartments who have some really spacious 2 and 3 bedroom apartments in Castle Hill walking distance to the shopping centre.

We love living in the Hills District - there are lots of families here. We are currently renting and then looking for a place to buy in Castle Hill/Kellyville/Beaumont Hills but all the areas around here are lovely.

Vanita

Archived