anyone in here emmigrating from rep of ireland???

Guest shirley v

Guest catty
Hey all me and my hubbie are planning to go to Perth as soon as they give us a visa, we are both originally from Dublin but we live in Tipperary now have been here 8 years now. We have 3 kids ages 6, 4, 9 months. Would love to hear from others in the same boat!

hi and welcome not exactly in the same boat as we are hoping to head to melbourne and no kids but wanted to say hi anyways from galway but living in Dublin

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all fellow irish, we are from belfast have our visa and are heading to brisbane beginning of oct, 2 1/2 years after starting the process. It is so slow and frustrating every day hoping for some new info that shows something is happening. My OH and i work in hospital labs so will probably be living close to the city. It would be great to meet up with anyone in the brissy sunshine or gold coast area. We have a little girl ellie who is 3 in august, she is a big part of the reason we are doing this hopefully i can work a bit less and spend some more time with her. Good luck to everyone in the process or waiting to sell your house, i know how hard it is and you just keep saying please give us our visa or please someone just buy our house hopefuuly it will all happen. Veronica.

Guest catty
Hi all fellow irish, we are from belfast have our visa and are heading to brisbane beginning of oct, 2 1/2 years after starting the process. It is so slow and frustrating every day hoping for some new info that shows something is happening. My OH and i work in hospital labs so will probably be living close to the city. It would be great to meet up with anyone in the brissy sunshine or gold coast area. We have a little girl ellie who is 3 in august, she is a big part of the reason we are doing this hopefully i can work a bit less and spend some more time with her. Good luck to everyone in the process or waiting to sell your house, i know how hard it is and you just keep saying please give us our visa or please someone just buy our house hopefuuly it will all happen. Veronica.

Good Luck and bon voyage....... Wish it was meeee

Guest Samfire
We tried to sell a (very small) house in tipperary. Had it on the market until last week - had it on for four months. Only got one offer, way below what we were looking for. We accepted it but then they had difficulty getting a mortgage. So we've taken it off the market now and will be renting it out.

After speaking with loads of professionals about this the main difficulty appears to be people accessing mortgages. Over 80% of mortgage applications are now being turned down. When you have a situation where only 1 in 5 of any potential bidders out there will be refused a mortgage you can see how difficult its going to be in successfully completing a sale.

Hi Cuba267

It's quite depressing isn't it? We considered the option of renting our home too, but I don't know if (a) we will have to pay a serious wedge of it to the crooks in the Dail under the umbrella of "Landlord" taxes - do you know anything about this? and (b) we're not sure we can afford the move without selling, as we have loans etc. that we hoped to clear off, and I don't see us having much cash upfront either, although hubby will have a job once he arrives. Might have to consider this option seriously though - no viewings yet!!!!

Guest cuba267
Hi Cuba267

It's quite depressing isn't it? We considered the option of renting our home too, but I don't know if (a) we will have to pay a serious wedge of it to the crooks in the Dail under the umbrella of "Landlord" taxes - do you know anything about this? and (b) we're not sure we can afford the move without selling, as we have loans etc. that we hoped to clear off, and I don't see us having much cash upfront either, although hubby will have a job once he arrives. Might have to consider this option seriously though - no viewings yet!!!!

hey samfire

in relation to (a) unfortunately you'll get hit a bit. They way it works at the moment is that you charge get rent for the year. Out of this you deduct expenses (painting, decorating) and 75% of your mortgage interest. The figure thats left is taxable (although if you make a loss you can 'carry over' the loss 'til the next year).Last year you could claim back all of your interest relief but with Cowen and Co doin a great job etc they need more money. Mortgage interest relief was the main way of reducing your taxable income. Over the next few years the suspicion is that the government will wipe this out completely. And, the 'landlord tax' you've mentioned will be a property tax that will be applied to all properties in the country. At the moment its only being suggested, but it almost certain to come in.

Can't say what the best thing for you to do is but its possible that in the medium term (five to seven years) things could well be better to sell the property then.

Guest cuba267
Hey all me and my hubbie are planning to go to Perth as soon as they give us a visa, we are both originally from Dublin but we live in Tipperary now have been here 8 years now. We have 3 kids ages 6, 4, 9 months. Would love to hear from others in the same boat!

Nearly the same position as us. (Hopefully) heading to melbourne with three kids too (6, 3, 10months). Oh, and from Tipperary originally too.

Guest hazeotoole

Hey all, thanks for the replys yes its a very frustrating process we are hoping to sell up too not on the market yet waiting will we get the ss from wa and then will start the ball rolling on that willing to take a fair hit on the price so the agent reckons it will sell quick enough will have to go as soon as we get the visa though as hubbie is in the army and will need discharge papers to finalise visa very snaggy situation so dont have the option to hang on after he leaves the army agent thinks it will take about 8 weeks from the time they get the discharge papers till we get the visa :(

Guest cuba267
Hey all, thanks for the replys yes its a very frustrating process we are hoping to sell up too not on the market yet waiting will we get the ss from wa and then will start the ball rolling on that willing to take a fair hit on the price so the agent reckons it will sell quick enough will have to go as soon as we get the visa though as hubbie is in the army and will need discharge papers to finalise visa very snaggy situation so dont have the option to hang on after he leaves the army agent thinks it will take about 8 weeks from the time they get the discharge papers till we get the visa :(

Hope it all goes well with the sale of the house. We tried to sell ours, took a big price reduction. Only had one offer. But main problem is (i've posted this before) banks are rejecting 80% of final mortgage applications. That translates as 1 in 5 offers on houses going through! It will get better though...eventually.

Anyway, roll on 1st july coz all my eggs are in the one basket now...i'm presuming that those of us with CO's will have a decission in their new visa year. i hope.

Hi there, I'm Irish too and in the middle of gathering info for defacto. My other half is an Aussie and been together for 5 years, he has now gone back to Melbourne to get a job before me and get set up , so I am here living in London and getting all info together... painful gathering info but hope to be in Melbourne November...pray to God everything goes well. We have enough information (we think), just wish I was there now but he had to go quickly as contracting work has died here in London....nightmare. I dont know any irish in Melbourne but Im sure there will be plenty...hopefully.....Wishing everyone all the best with their visa apps....

Guest catty
Hi there, I'm Irish too and in the middle of gathering info for defacto. My other half is an Aussie and been together for 5 years, he has now gone back to Melbourne to get a job before me and get set up , so I am here living in London and getting all info together... painful gathering info but hope to be in Melbourne November...pray to God everything goes well. We have enough information (we think), just wish I was there now but he had to go quickly as contracting work has died here in London....nightmare. I dont know any irish in Melbourne but Im sure there will be plenty...hopefully.....Wishing everyone all the best with their visa apps....

hey welcome to VISALAND.. we're heading to melbourne as well can not wait. stay blogging and im sure you will end up with lots of contacts which part of melbourne are you heading to?

Guest catty
Not frustrated then catty????

well i did get up with positive thoughts today and said 'today was my day' but well NADA so far........

Guest cuba267

Forget Cattys cynicism there.....applying for a visa is a doddle, a breeze, very straightforward.......and they're very quick and efficient also. Its all over before you know it. Visaland indeed!

Guest catty
Forget Cattys cynicism there.....applying for a visa is a doddle, a breeze, very straightforward.......and they're very quick and efficient also. Its all over before you know it. Visaland indeed!

Now cuba267 tut tut tut are we in bad form today???????:biglaugh:

Guest cuba267
Now cuba267 tut tut tut are we in bad form today???????:biglaugh:

i'm a third way through a packet of cadburys choc digestives......

Guest catty
i'm a third way through a packet of cadburys choc digestives......

they would cure all ailments i swear..... anyways i have just emailed my agent AGAIN asking her whats the story as work are at me to give a finishing up date so trust me i need a 'tea Grande' and a good dose of chocs.... oh and back to work i go..

Guest cuba267
they would cure all ailments i swear..... anyways i have just emailed my agent AGAIN asking her whats the story as work are at me to give a finishing up date so trust me i need a 'tea Grande' and a good dose of chocs.... oh and back to work i go..

So you've told work you're going? I've told no one, not even family members. Although I'm sure some of my workmates have seen that i've been on this site. Let me know what your agent says

Guest Jacqui J
just wondering if there were any irish in here ,were hoping to make the big move asap would like to see if anyone from this neck of the woods is doing the same right now??:

Hi Shirley,

We have also applied for SS for WA. Got receipt of application on the 27th March '09. Into our 12th week of waiting now:SLEEP: Doing our meds on Friday, so let's hope all is ok there.

Living in Louth/Meath at the mo. Going between my Mam's and his for the last 2 and a half months.:arghh:

Jacqui

Guest hazeotoole

Hi Girls no news for me either today why I thought there would be I have no idea HOPE maybe is that all lost will they ever break my spirit of hope I really hope not, we were told 4 more weeks of agony waiting for state sponsorship which in turn will lead to 6 more months of waiting agony why are we doing this to ourselves?????

Guest cuba267
Hi Girls no news for me either today why I thought there would be I have no idea HOPE maybe is that all lost will they ever break my spirit of hope I really hope not, we were told 4 more weeks of agony waiting for state sponsorship which in turn will lead to 6 more months of waiting agony why are we doing this to ourselves?????

Keep the spirits up hazel, time flies when you're endlessly waiting. Can't believe it was April 2008 when we started gathering the info for this visa. Thats over 14 months of my life.

And 'Hi Girls'??? Come on, us blokes are here too!

Guest cuba267

just got an offer on our house today that exceeds all lowest expectations that we had nightmares about...have to make a decission now.....stupid bloody recession, stupid credit crunch.

Guest hazeotoole

Sorry will Lads do???? We only started the process in Feb really had nearly all the documents we needed I am a little document freak I keep everything :) But the TRA stuff took us about a week to complete but mostly when we were asked for something I had it back to them in a day thank god I was on the ball or god knows how long we would have been waiting!! Well my mam is coming to visit so that should take my mind off things for a few days hope you all have an excellent weekend!

Guest hazeotoole

Hey Cuba sorry about the house was it really loads less than you thought maybe they are chancing thier arm haggle a bit with them, everyone is expecting to drop prices but not ridiculously if your in Dublin expect 100k min less than you would have got last year, anywhere else I reckon 50k drop is plenty we are in Tipperary and expecting about 40k less

Guest cuba267
Hey Cuba sorry about the house was it really loads less than you thought maybe they are chancing thier arm haggle a bit with them, everyone is expecting to drop prices but not ridiculously if your in Dublin expect 100k min less than you would have got last year, anywhere else I reckon 50k drop is plenty we are in Tipperary and expecting about 40k less

well ms o'toole, it's about 30% short of what i thought. exactly serves me right really. I'm the one who's been telling everyone prices have dropped 25 - 30%. Well lo and behold........ Damn it all....... Damn the government.......My youthful left wing leanings were right all along

Guest catty
well ms o'toole, it's about 30% short of what i thought. exactly serves me right really. I'm the one who's been telling everyone prices have dropped 25 - 30%. Well lo and behold........ Damn it all....... Damn the government.......My youthful left wing leanings were right all along

well did you decide either way???? we put ours up for rent thinking it might take a while get someone in etc etc anyways we have someone to rent from end july:biglaugh:no visa yet!!! talk about putting the horse before the cart.....

Archived