How long a holiday am i allowed

Guest brooksey

Guest brooksey

Does anybody on here know how long your allowed to leave Australia for without being classed as not living here. I have to do four years here to be eligible to try for citizenship of which one has to be a solid year.

So if i were to leave for England on a holiday, how long would i be allowed without it chipping into my year?

Guest snow white

try pm gollywobbler for an answer if anyone knows she will i wouldnt leave oz for a holiday until i had at least done the whole year then theres no worries but check with gill

lesley x

Guest brooksey

It's just a visit to Sheffield i'm thinking of but it's got me thinking. In your last year are you even allowed to nip to NZ, Fiji etc on holiday or not. By the looks your allowed 90 days but best not to risk it i suppose.

Guest rodly

Just read the link from Brooksey, and even in the the last 12 months you are allowed to be out of the country for no more than 90 days.

We arrived here in 2002 on 457, and have just applied for permanent residents and our agent has advised us that only my OH would be eligible to apply for citizenship immediately, as he has been resident for more than 4 years. Even though he was back in the UK for most of 2006, his absence was under 12 months. Me and the kids were home for over 12 months, so our previous residency doesn't count and our 4 years starts from Oct. 2007.

Hope this is helpful, although I'm still a little confused with all the rules.

Just realised link was posted by Cal. Sorry Cal

No problem,lol

If hubby can gain citizenship now he is best to get the test done asap as they are changing the rules to apparantly make it harder and they are also raising the pass mark to (i think) 70%. Sure i read this was to happen around July. Most test centres seem to have a waiting list of 3 or 4 weeks too, so maybe everyone has the same idea,lol

Cal x

Guest sk1nny
OO I'm off there in a few weeks!! Daughter has a diving competition over in the UK.

Rudi

Another trip, blimey, you're getting out & about...what date are you heading for H I??

Archived