Just more advice for a confused brit...!!

Chris OHare

Dear all,

I am 34 years old married and have a 9 year old son, not to mention a basset hound and 2 cats.....oh, and a hamster!!!! I am the owner of a shopfitting/construction company based in the NW of England and have done this since leaving school, for several years I have wanted to move to Australia but never to sure what location, plus never been able to due to being trapped with my company, BUT due to the ever increasing poor state of this country it is now time to leave and hopefully never return. I plan to sell all my property and business assets here in the UK and move over there next year, my main questions are:

1. Where do you get the best free advice of how to go about moving to Australia.

2. Where is the best location to get the best of both worlds (beach, cheaper property that has a growing economy, where my profession would be in demand)

3. Just give me any advise that may be of use.

I plan to come over in a few months to do a recky of all main areas, in a couple of weeks I am travelling to Chuuk Lagoon in Micronesia and have been told that this is a popular destination for Australians so I am hoping to get more advice there.

Regards

Chris OHare

Hi. Most immigration agents will give you a free assessment were they will tell you how many points you can get and your best visa option.We chose to use an agent and they were very very good but cost us over £4000 then on top we had to pay for visa and meds, police checks.

Guest Liz and Paul

Hi Chris,

We have been here 15 months now and used ASA Migration who were fantastic Agents, they will give you a free assessment online as to what type of visa you would be eligible for and answer any questions you will have.

We chose the Gold Coast because it has lots of beautiful beaches, shopping centres, lots to do for kids, warm in winter etc and was cheaper than Sydney area's where we had lived for a while previously before kids!! There are so many nice places here, luckily we have settled in great here and wouldn't live anywhere else, having a reccie is a good way to get a feel for places, but I will say there's more to the Gold Coast than Surfers Paradise which is where people go for a holiday rather than live. You can also commute to Brisbane if needed from here.

Good Luck!

Liz

Hiya Chris welcome to PIO,always good to have another Notherner on board,lol.

I think where to move to is something only you can decide as we all want and like different things in life. Australia has some great citys and suburbs and they differ so much.

You can check out job vacancies on sites such as www.seek.com or www.alljobs.com.au

Have you had a look at this website Workers - Visas & Immigration to see if you can cross match your skills /experience to fit a visa category. It is possible with lots of reading to complete the visa application yourself, but if it all mashes together and confuses you like it did with me then maybe contact an agent for some advice . Most will offer you a free phone consultation and a point in the right direction, you can then decide if to pay them to help through or apply yourself.

Good Luck

Cal x

Thanks for the advice, I will give them a call, think I might be too busy to try and research all this on my own so will just have to bite the bullet and pay the fee..

I will def look at the Gold Cost & Brisbane, my son is called Jake too!! whats the schooling like compared to the UK?

Is this recession effecting you? its our budget over here so it will be interesting to see how us tax payers are going to get........say no more :jiggy:

Thanks

Chris

Guest chris_mac
Dear all,

I am 34 years old married and have a 9 year old son, not to mention a basset hound and 2 cats.....oh, and a hamster!!!! I am the owner of a shopfitting/construction company based in the NW of England and have done this since leaving school, for several years I have wanted to move to Australia but never to sure what location, plus never been able to due to being trapped with my company, BUT due to the ever increasing poor state of this country it is now time to leave and hopefully never return. I plan to sell all my property and business assets here in the UK and move over there next year, my main questions are:

1. Where do you get the best free advice of how to go about moving to Australia.

2. Where is the best location to get the best of both worlds (beach, cheaper property that has a growing economy, where my profession would be in demand)

3. Just give me any advise that may be of use.

I plan to come over in a few months to do a recky of all main areas, in a couple of weeks I am travelling to Chuuk Lagoon in Micronesia and have been told that this is a popular destination for Australians so I am hoping to get more advice there.

Regards

Chris OHare

Hi Chris

Have you checked to ensure you have skills in demand in Australia.?

Please see link with occupations in demand:

A-Z Occupations List - Australian Skills Recognition Information

If you find a job which suits Pay attention to Skill level and assessing authority as you will have to positively assessed in that job role and provide evidence before an application can be lodged.

Your occupation will also determine which visa is best and where you may live in Australia..

Please follow this up with your occupation and the ASRI code, e.g 1143-22 then we can look at other options,

Best wishes

Chris

Guest ABCDiamond
Dear all,

I am 34 years old married and have a 9 year old son, not to mention a basset hound and 2 cats.....oh, and a hamster!!!!

Some bad news.......

Hamsters are completely banned in Australia.

An rabbits (the fluffy ones :) ) are banned in Queensland!

Queensland however, it a fabulous place to live. Great weather, relaxed lifestyle, amazing beaches, theme parks for the kids.....what more could you want?! :)

Rudi

Guest jchrisj
Some bad news.......

Hamsters are completely banned in Australia.

bugger

soo tasty on the barby as well, just make sure ya peel em first................fur sticks in ya toofs

poo.............drunk again

hugs

chris (as if ya didnt realise)...........hic

Guest jchrisj
what about a one legged ostritch ?

...................need coffee......................................lots of coffee

hic

itsh me

Archived