Warning for construction workers

Guest bowbrum03

Guest bowbrum03

Just a big warning to all construction workers coming over to OZ especially Perth where I am.

It is very hard to find work in any trade.

The down turn continues to bite, If there is a add in the paper for a carpenter / bricklayer (All trades), the advertiser is getting over 100 calls for that one job. And are also now asking for local experience with a

minimum of 3 yrs experience.

True facts............

That is really tough, but people are saying the same thing in Brisbane too. I think what is happening in the world at the moment is putting a stop to many people's dreams of moving to Australia.

Very Sad

Daphne

Guest Working to fish
Just a big warning to all construction workers coming over to OZ especially Perth where I am.

The down turn continues to bite, If there is a add in the paper for a carpenter / bricklayer (All trades), the advertiser is getting over 100 calls for that one job. And are also now asking for local experience with a

True facts............

Probably the same the world over at the mo. Thing is how much do you want to move ,do you need to move right now,Yes things are hard at the mo ,but you will never know if you dont give it a go.

eddie:smile:

Guest bowbrum03
Probably the same the world over at the mo. Thing is how much do you want to move ,do you need to move right now,Yes things are hard at the mo ,but you will never know if you dont give it a go.

eddie:smile:

I am here allready, just warning people thats all.

Whats the point in giving it a go ,when there is no jobs and they have to return.

Guest Working to fish
I am here allready, just warning people thats all.

Whats the point in giving it a go ,when there is no jobs and they have to return.

Like i said you never know until you give it a go ,who,s to say that you dont land on your feet running.

:idea:

eddie:hug:

Guest bowbrum03
Like i said you never know until you give it a go ,who,s to say that you dont land on your feet running.

:idea:

eddie:hug:

And what odds to you give for that?

Ill give it a 1-10,000 chance.

So yes you never know.

Guest Working to fish
And what odds to you give for that?

Ill give it a 1-10,000 chance.

So yes you never know.

A young man was showing off his new sports car to his girlfriend. She was thrilled at the speed. “If I do 200mph, will you take off your clothes?” he asked. “Yes!” said his adventurous girlfriend. And as he gets up to 200, she peels off all her clothes. Unable to keep his eyes on the road, the car skidded onto some gravel and flipped over. The naked girl was thrown clear, but he was jammed beneath the steering wheel. “Go and get help!” he cried. “But I can’t. I’m naked and my clothes are gone!” “Take my shoe”, he said, “and cover yourself.” Holding the shoe over her pubes, the girl ran down the road and found a service station. Still holding the shoe between her legs, she pleaded to the service station proprietor, “Please help me! My boyfriend’s stuck!” The proprietor looked at the shoe and said, “There’s nothing I can do….he’s in too far!”

eddie:jiggy:

My hubby is a chippy and we were moving to Oz this August/Sept but....we are not sure this is a good thing are we being sensible or not? whilst he has plenty of work here in the UK plus 20years worth of contacts...should we give all that up to move to OZ where he will have no work and no contacts...yes i agree with you Eddie that you'll never know if you never go but it is a big deal if you are in our situation ...like many others we haven't got savings to fall back on having not sold the house...we will have the added worry of are we having the mortgage paid while we are in Oz as well as findind rent money...plus two kids to support

Lisax

Guest Working to fish
...we are not sure this is a good thing are we being sensible or not? .[/color]

Lisax

Can a web site give you the answer ?

Are you being sensible or not.

SORRY but i dont think you will find the answer on here tbh.

You say your other haft has lots of work in the uk ' date='so thats all good ,why then risk it ?[/color']

It is true that the work here is not great at the mo ,so be for you jump ship ,why ? dont you come out for a coulpe of weeks and see if your other haft can find work. I would have loved to be able to do that ,but money held me back ,so in the end i gave up a good way of life we had in the uk ,to jump into the life we now have.

Its funny cos all i here on pio is that the work in the uk is going well for all tradies ,if this is the case then i hope oz will catch up soon.

At the end of the day its up to you if it is wurth jumping ship.

eddie:idea:

I am also in Perth and am a plumber and finding it near to impossible to get work as was stated earlier, all the jobs are asking for min 3 years local experience, I saw one in the paper today that was looking for 10 years exp. Normally there asking for 5 years though and all the jobs seem to recieve about 100+ applicants. So when you ring up with your non australian accent " sorry mate jobs gone" seems to be the reply i always get. Yet when I got my aussie mate to ring up a few that had told me this, they asked him when can you come in for an interview. Go figure. So ive had 3 weeks work since feburary and if it keeps up I am defo going home. If I had a job offer at home id be going tomorrow.

Guest Swing low sweet chariot

Don't do it! I would not put yourself in a position that looks so bad for tradesmen out here in Oz. Stay in the Uk and wait to see what happens. You have security, which can't be guaranteed out here in Oz.

My hubby is a chippy and we were moving to Oz this August/Sept but....we are not sure this is a good thing are we being sensible or not? whilst he has plenty of work here in the UK plus 20years worth of contacts...should we give all that up to move to OZ where he will have no work and no contacts...yes i agree with you Eddie that you'll never know if you never go but it is a big deal if you are in our situation ...like many others we haven't got savings to fall back on having not sold the house...we will have the added worry of are we having the mortgage paid while we are in Oz as well as findind rent money...plus two kids to support

Lisax

True facts............

Hi,

It's very sad but true that things are tough out here for those looking for work. My husband managed to find a job after 3 months but I haven't found anything as every job advertised asks for experience or a certificate. You need a certificate here to make coffee in a cafe! Even when I rang one agency who I had applied for a job through they said that they had had over 400 applications for one part-time admin position. It can be soul destroying after a while! Fortunately we will not starve yet but it is tough when you have been used to earning your own money!

Quite sensibly the Australian Government has cut the tradies off the jobs in demand list for skilled migration - what is the point of allowing more people over here if there are not enough jobs for everyone.

If you are secure in the UK my advice would be to wait for 12 - 18 months until things start to pick up - just validate your visas if you have to.

Just hope things start looking up soon!

Best of luck to all!

Gill

Guest brooksey
Hi,

It's very sad but true that things are tough out here for those looking for work. My husband managed to find a job after 3 months but I haven't found anything as every job advertised asks for experience or a certificate. You need a certificate here to make coffee in a cafe! Even when I rang one agency who I had applied for a job through they said that they had had over 400 applications for one part-time admin position. It can be soul destroying after a while! Fortunately we will not starve yet but it is tough when you have been used to earning your own money!

Quite sensibly the Australian Government has cut the tradies off the jobs in demand list for skilled migration - what is the point of allowing more people over here if there are not enough jobs for everyone.

If you are secure in the UK my advice would be to wait for 12 - 18 months until things start to pick up - just validate your visas if you have to.

Just hope things start looking up soon!

Best of luck to all!

Gill

I agree with that 100%. Nobody is saying don't come to Oz. But if you have work in the UK then wait till things pick up here. Just been on the news that the growth rate in Oz is -2.5% in other words it's in recession.

I agree with the above too. I know quite a few people who have come out here in the last 4 months and are still unemployed. You do have to have quite a bit of finance behind you, as you are not entitled to any benefits for the first 2 years. Also the children's schooling with have to have some finance input from yourselves. The cost of living is not as cheap as it use to be. A programme on tv last night quoted australia to be one of the dearest countries for food now. A recession was announced on the tv yesterday too. If you have already validated your visa's try and hang on in the UK longer, as you have work especially where there are children involved. Do take the step at some time, as it is lovely here. The world will sort it's self out. I beleive in playing safe, but at the end of the day, only you can decide. I have children and their welfare and stabability come first. good luck in your decision

i can see that all construction workers seem to be struggling but i am getting very mixed opinions reguarding work.................for example i am a carpet and vinyl layer and have been promised as much work as i want by my AQF training provider, also most job offers come with some rental paid and other perks such as vehicle...........Also my friend has a carpet business in mandurah and says he has too much work.

But im still worried as normally for me if constrution is cutting back it eventually has a knock on effect in my trade,

things are very un certain for me here in the uk to be honest, been up and down all year work wise so perhaps oz will be the right move for me.

Hi,

Gill

No they have not , they are still letting people apply and the in demand list has not changed for a year

i can see that all construction workers seem to be struggling but i am getting very mixed opinions reguarding work.................for example i am a carpet and vinyl layer and have been promised as much work as i want by my AQF training provider, also most job offers come with some rental paid and other perks such as vehicle...........Also my friend has a carpet business in mandurah and says he has too much work.

But im still worried as normally for me if constrution is cutting back it eventually has a knock on effect in my trade,

things are very un certain for me here in the uk to be honest, been up and down all year work wise so perhaps oz will be the right move for me.

Dont know builders seem to use one firm here , to do all their carpets and vynyl.

Guest Working to fish

True facts............

SOD IT ,I am going to say it.

For all the new members who dont know ,dear Bowburm has started about 10 threads like this over about the past 6 months .

All i can say is before you do come to oz , i would do as much research as you can ,not just on pomsinoz.

Sorry Bowburm but you know ,we all like a laugh mate.

I for one ,would not make my mind up on going to oz ,based on one web site

Good luck to you all.

eddie:goofy:

I agree , just because he cant get work doent mean there is no work , even in the so called boom in uk there were tradies out of work blaming it on the east europeons , i am moving to perth in 28 days and am 100 per cent confident of finding work , i have friends there who say there is plenty about if you look further then the internet or newspaper

Guest Working to fish
I agree , just because he cant get work doent mean there is no work , even in the so called boom in uk there were tradies out of work blaming it on the east europeons , i am moving to perth in 28 days and am 100 per cent confident of finding work , i have friends there who say there is plenty about if you look further then the internet or newspaper

Well knock me over with a spam sandwich ,how are you going to fly with a broken foot ,mate .

I know a guy called earls and he didnt go much on Perth ,are you sure ,its not sunny more ,where you are .

Grassias

eddie:wink:

Well knock me over with a spam sandwich ,how are you going to fly with a broken foot ,mate .

I know a guy called earls and he didnt go much on Perth ,are you sure ,its not sunny more ,where you are .

Grassias

It cant be can it , its not consalador back again

Grassias

Hi ive decided not to fly as apart from my broken foot it also hurts my arms ! I decided to get a lift off QANTAS

there is no work over here in the UK either, at least over there the cost of living is that bit less, you have the nice friendly Australians, beautiful beaches....whats the UK got to offer, If I had to be anywhere in the world and had no job I know where I would rather live. I was employing over 50 joiners last year, I am now down to 5!!!! I still plan to be over there next year, things can only get better.

Archived