Buying a Business?

Guest TK&JK

Guest TK&JK

Hi, can anyone help, my family would love to move to Australia (me husband, 2 children) my husband and I have both worked for the same company (gas) for 21 years although we have no formal qualifications, plenty of in house training, are formal qualifications a must? We are also very interested in buying and running a B&B of some kind, I can't find any info that states we could do this, what visa could we do this on, or can we buy a B&B then apply for business visa???? any info on this would be appretiaited.

very very difficult - you need two years of business accounts showing certain levels of turnover to prove you are a successful buiness person to give any possible entry to the business visa regime.

So, if you are running a business in Australia, you need permission to be there other than for running this business e.g. one of you could be there as a student and the other one could buy and run a business but you would be restricted to 20 hours per week work. So then the business would need to be of a nature and size that would be feasible for you to employ a manager and then argue that you are in control of the business and it's day-to-day running within teh restrictions of your visa.

You may find some agents encouraging this way of entry to Australia but if you are under 43, I would recommend the trade study option ahead of anything like this.

Regards

Tony Coates

MARN 0635896

You could look at "self sponsorship" and obtaining a 457 long term temporary visa on the basis of sponsorship by your business ... but it is an aggressive pathway and the Department of Immigration may not like it: you would have to make a very good case and demonstrate strong financial backing.

Not a strategy for the faint hearted ...

Best regards.

Guest TK&JK

Thanks for info Alan. Seems that may not be our best option then. We will have around 5-600K after selling up here in the UK, maybe we should look at other options??? do you know if 21 years experience in a company (gas distribution) but no formal qualifications gives us any other options? thats both me and my husband, he works on planning/costing mains replacement projects and I am a PA to the area manager.

Desperate to find a way to live in Oz

I have to say I'm not optimistic based on what you have said thus far ... but there may be details that would help your prospects that are not immediately apparent.

I recommend having a chat with my colleague John Sylvester on Southampton number 023 80 488777.

Best regards.

Thanks for info Alan. Seems that may not be our best option then. We will have around 5-600K after selling up here in the UK, maybe we should look at other options??? do you know if 21 years experience in a company (gas distribution) but no formal qualifications gives us any other options? thats both me and my husband, he works on planning/costing mains replacement projects and I am a PA to the area manager.

Desperate to find a way to live in Oz

Guest TK&JK

Thanks, I'll do that, at least then we know if we have any options open to us.... my goal was to buy and run a B&B near to the beach!!!!!!!!

Archived