176 family sponsored

Guest Lindseyf

Guest Lindseyf

Hi,

once again i am bored of waiting, has anyone else applied for a 176 family sponsored visa?

Anyone got one granted recently?

Do we know how long they are taking or when they are likely to be processed?:skeptical:

My Occ is community worker, anyone any idea how to get the visa any quicker??

i think i would feel better if we had our PR in our passport when we leave??:cool:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Lindsey

I gather from your other threads that you plan to move to Melbourne eventually.

The only way to speed up your current application as a Family sponsored Community Worker would be if you can secure State sponsorship.

The ACT is looking for a limited number of Community Workers and is willing to offer sc 176 sponsorship to the ones whom it wants to attract:

Business and Industry Development - ACT Skills in Demand List (Updated 24 March 2009)

http://www.business.act.gov.au/__data/assets/excel_doc/0003/94584/ACT_Skills_in_Demand_List_March_09.xls

Please read the blue shaded rubric at the top of the list carefully. Do you have a minimum of 3 years' work experience? Note also that you would have to sit the General IELTS and secure not less than 6.5 in the Speaking module before you would be eligible even to apply to the ACT.

Also, the occupation being shown in Bold means that the ACT only want a limited number and they may well be specific about the sort of experience they want. They might want people with a background in helping to shape Local or Central Govt Policy in this field rather than actually working in the community. I'm guessing but working for the Government other than with the public every day might be what they want for the ACT. You would need to ring them up and ask them, I reckon.

You have mentioned that WH Visas would be a possibility. I'd give the idea serious thought. If you are in Oz and you manage to get a job doing Community Work then temporary or even permanent employer sponsorship would be far less unlikely than it is now. Employers would warm to the fact that you have family in Melbourne and that you have been caught out by the Minister changing visa processing priorities.

A third possibility is that South Australia is willing to consider sponsoring a Community Worker for the SRS 475 provisional visa. Please click on the link below and then click the link for the List of occupations for the sc 475 visa:

Make The Move :: General skilled migration

This would involve a second visa application and another $2,105 paid to DIAC, plus securing SA State Sponsorship first, but you would be able to do this and simply to leave your current sc 176 application running in the background. If you do this you would NOT be able to use the visa to move to the Melbourne Metropolitan area. However if you were sponsored by SA and you are offered a job iin Regional VIC then you would be able to move to VIC instead.

Equally, if you get a job offer from an employer in Regional VIC then VIC might be willing to consider sponsoring you for an sc 475 visa even though the occupation is not on their List for the visa.

The link to all the State/Territory websites is here:

State & Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

Best wishes

Gill

So you

Guest Lindseyf

Hi Gill, thanks a million for your post,

I am a little bit confused with this part though,

You have mentioned that WH Visas would be a possibility. I'd give the idea serious thought. If you are in Oz and you manage to get a job doing Community Work then temporary or even permanent employer sponsorship would be far less unlikely than it is now. Employers would warm to the fact that you have family in Melbourne and that you have been caught out by the Minister changing visa processing priorities.

Ok yes i am blonde and it is Monday:unsure: but am i right in thinking you mean i have more chance of getting employer sponsorship while i am over there?

I have about 7 years experience but also i have other strings to my bow that could help, i am fluent in Sign Language and i am just about to qualify as a teacher and i have BA hons.

I really don't think i will struggle finding work and if it is just until my 176 PR comes through then i think i will be ok.

Also if we looked at state sponsorship to SA and then our PR comes through does this over ride our state sponsored visa?

I am really leaning towards the WH visa, as we are not looking to leave til Dec, and then it should only be 3 months til our PR hopefully if the aussie govt get there finger out!!

:hug:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Lindsey

I am really leaning towards the WH visa, as we are not looking to leave til Dec, and then it should only be 3 months til our PR hopefully if the aussie govt get there finger out!!

Who says the Government is going to start processing non priority applications again any time soon? I think this is an unsafe assumption to make, to be honest. When they will re-open the gates to applications which are currently non-priority depends entirely on what the Minister for Immi decides in the fullness of time. If it were me, I would be thinking of heading for Oz and spending 3 months crop picking or whatever as my first priority on reaching Oz, so as to ensure 2 years on the WH visa. My feeling is that it is too difficult to predict how soon the world will start to climb out of recession. I reckon reading the Tarot about this is probably as (un)reliable as any other idea!

Ok yes i am blonde and it is Monday:unsure: but am i right in thinking you mean i have more chance of getting employer sponsorship while i am over there?

On a WH visa you can start work on Monday if that is what the employer wants. You can only work for this employer for 6 months in each of the 2 years. If he wants to keep you for longer than 6 months then he may have to sponsor you in order to fulfil his own wishes. I think when you are in Oz, doing the job and everyone has time to make friends with each other and to breathe, it would undoubtedly be easier to organise an employer sponsored visa.

However, this said a LOT of WH visa holders find that they are treated as 'backpackers.' They can get casual work in bars etc or in the mines but nobody is really interested in offering them a responsible job in their chosen field. I don't think you would be able to judge the lie of the land accurately unless you are there and able to bang on doors with your CV and an explanation that you are waiting on PR in your own right and just need some help with brdging the possible time gap.

I really don't think i will struggle finding work and if it is just until my 176 PR comes through then i think i will be ok.

Hopefully you are right but please see above.

Also if we looked at state sponsorship to SA and then our PR comes through does this over ride our state sponsored visa?

Yes, the grant of the sc 176 visa would automatically cancel any other visa that you hold at the time. You would need to spend a few days outside Oz in order for the visa to be granted and the sc 176 labels put into your passports whilst you are outside Australia. DIAC say 5 working days but it is usually cheaper to book a week's package holiday to somewhere like Fiji than to arrange travel and accommodation independently for a shorter period. Anywhere that is "outside Australia" and has a DIAC office will do though.

I think there is a LOT to consider in your case and I think my own first port of call would be to phone the ACT to find out where they are coming from on this one.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Lindseyf

Gill,

Thanks a million, you are so knowledgable, i love reading your posts regardless sometimes of the topic!

Our agent has said that 176 visa's are taking approx 12 months, that is how i came up with the 3 month figure. But from your answer i am guessing no body knows when these are going to be processed right?

i am starting to think that SA might be our next option. not sure about ACT it has never come up as an option.

My head is so frazzled at the moment, all i want to do is be there and get on with my new life, i feel that all i am doing here is putting my life on hold til we get to Oz.

What do you think?

Am i dreaming that our Visa will only be 12 months?

Should we be looking at alternativve options?

Heeellllppppppppp

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Lindsey

If I were in your shoes, I would ring up the ACT and find out whether they might be willing to consider an application for sc 176 sponsorship from you. If they say no, eliminate the idea from the list of possibilities.

If the ACT do say no then you and your OH need to chew the cud about the other possible options.

Nobody except you & he know what both of you would be happy with, hon. Not easy, I know, but it would be wrong for anyone else to try to foist anything on to you, I feel.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Lindseyf

Is it that easy that i can ring the states to see if they will consider applicatiobs for state sponsorship?

I didn't realise this.

I think me and OH need a good chinwag to whey up our options. We did have our minds set on Melbourne but now we are remembering our original plan. And that was to move to Australia, whichever way we could without waiting with our lives on hold. We want to get settled and live our lives.

Thanks Gill for all your advice x

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Lindsey

If I want some information from one of the State Migration centres, I phone the one I want to ask. There is nothing like being short of time for making one use efficient and effective communication techniques! Have a notepad and pen handy so that you can jot down the advice they give you. I've not had a reason to phone the ACT about anything but WA and the NT are both very helpful and very friendly in my experience with them. They are happy to explain anything that one isn't clear about. I imagine the others are probably the same.

Cheers

Gill

Guest familytak@tiscali.co.uk

Hi Lindsey, we're also waiting for our 176 visa. At the moment we have our nomination numbers and are waiting for our police checks to come back and then we can send off our visa application forms. My hospital has given me 6 months from issue of the nomination numbers to start the job so I am assuming it shouldn't take too long. I have been told, anecdotaly, that once you have the nom. nos. the rest is quite straight forward.

Where are you going, we''re off to Geraldton, WA (5 hours north of Perth) with my job as a midwife.

Guest Lindseyf

Hi sorry to aound stupid but what are nomination numbers??:unsure:

We were thinking Melbourne, but i am unsure now as it could take a long time to get there. We may have to re-think and look at a state that will sponsor us.

Is your visa not employee sponsored??:hug:

Guest familytak@tiscali.co.uk

Hi there, we are going on a regional sponsored migration scheme (RSMS) with permanent residency. Once the employer has nominated you for sponsorship and sent the initial paperwork, this case number or nomination number is given to you to use when sending the visa application. There is loads of information on the immi.gov.au website.

I don't know how you chose Melbournee, but have you thought of trying a recruitment agency which can set you up with employers looking to recruit for different areas which is how I got my job.

Good luck,

• 1 year later...
Guest TTtommoinoz

Hello eegger beaver....

was reading through your posts and it seems your as stressed out as i with the whole waiting game..When did u lodge you and your fella lodge your 176 visa appliacation out of interest.

Also the 12 month waiting period from what your agent said is the first iv heard i do hope thats true.

Tom

• 2 years later...

hi all,

just thot of letting all u wonderful ppl no that we got our visa for 176 fam sponsored. PR for 5 yrs. Now i have other questions........ my passport expires on 10 aug 2013 n i have to travel before 10june 2013. is there a passport validity rule like the passport should be valid for at least six months post date of travel. next question and more critical one..... my wife is 3 months pregnant.... so do we have to disclose it to the case officer and would we have to do the medicals again!!! it took 6 months....????

Archived