Redcliffe Peninsula - Whats Life Like ???

Guest Iain H

Guest Iain H

Hi Everyone – Me and the family have literally just got off the plane from Oz ( two hours ago !! ) having done a reccy on where we might want to live. We had an amazing time looking around ( even though it honked it down for much of the time !! )Much of our focus was on the areas around Maroochydore but we also took in Redcliffe because of its proximity to Brisbane. We really liked Scarborough / Newport very much. The lush grassy areas and cycle ways that flank the whole peninsula overlooking the calm waters look absolutely fantastic. We can just imagine taking the dogs for a walk in the parks or riding around on the cycle paths etc. I know the houses are pricey compared to some areas but we are OK in that department. My questions really revolve around the community itself.

Is it a friendly and safe place to live ?

Are there a few places to go out on the night ; nothing too racey but any restaurants / bars - Does the area have the equivalent of the Surf Clubs found on the Surf beaches ?

Is there much for kids to do ? Mine are two girls 10,8 and my boy is 5. Also, as they grow up ; is there stuff to do for teenagers ?

Finally, my kids are Catholic and the Catholic schools ( Southern Cross Primary & College ) look nice enough but does anybody have any kids there or know anything about these schools to give us a ‘heads-up’ ?

We hope the PIO community can help us out here and especially if anyone has lived or is living in the area

Thanks a lot

Iain

Hi Everyone – Me and the family have literally just got off the plane from Oz ( two hours ago !! ) having done a reccy on where we might want to live. We had an amazing time looking around ( even though it honked it down for much of the time !! )Much of our focus was on the areas around Maroochydore but we also took in Redcliffe because of its proximity to Brisbane. We really liked Scarborough / Newport very much. The lush grassy areas and cycle ways that flank the whole peninsula overlooking the calm waters look absolutely fantastic. We can just imagine taking the dogs for a walk in the parks or riding around on the cycle paths etc. I know the houses are pricey compared to some areas but we are OK in that department. My questions really revolve around the community itself.

Is it a friendly and safe place to live ?

Are there a few places to go out on the night ; nothing too racey but any restaurants / bars - Does the area have the equivalent of the Surf Clubs found on the Surf beaches ?

Is there much for kids to do ? Mine are two girls 10,8 and my boy is 5. Also, as they grow up ; is there stuff to do for teenagers ?

Finally, my kids are Catholic and the Catholic schools ( Southern Cross Primary & College ) look nice enough but does anybody have any kids there or know anything about these schools to give us a ‘heads-up’ ?

We hope the PIO community can help us out here and especially if anyone has lived or is living in the area

Thanks a lot

Iain

I am putting together a bit of a video & slide show, on the Redcliffe Peninsula, I will include warts & all if I can find any. Have a look on Monday or Tuesday

Guest allinteriorsuk

when i lived in brisbane we use to call it DEDCLIFFE and near by is DEPRESSION BAY (deception bay).

That was 12 years ago so i hope its changed for the better!!

Guest Mikekat

We've been in Redcliffe for 3 months and feel very much at home here. It is family friendly and quiet, which we like. There are a lot of small restaurants on the front, with alfresco dining. Popular on weekends. Also Morgans seafood restaurant in Scarborough has been recommended, although we haven't been yet.

There is a Redcliffe Peninsula Surf Life Saving Club on Suttons Beach, but there is not a surf club house as such. There is Redcliffe dolphins club and a yacht club in Scarborough which seem popular.

Some of the houses in Newport and Scarborough, on the canal, are apsolutely stunning, albeit expensive.

Good luck with finding your base. We are just so glad Redcliffe ticked all our boxes, as we had researched it fully, yet were apprehensive when we first arrived.

If you have any more questions, we will do our best to find the answers for you.

Mike and Kat

Guest mike dennison

Hi Iain, we migrated to Redcliffe from Newport, South Wales UK. We are now in our 3rd year and we liken our experience to a rollercoaster ride as we came out here with our children, Son aged 18 and Daughter 16, our Son went back after 3 months and our Daughter followed 6 months later because they missed their friends and life was too quiet for them, however our Son comes back for the holidays (3 months at a time) and now knows that this is where he wants to come when he finishes his law degree (only 1 year to go can't wait) and as for our Daughter well she also returned with her boyfriend and has been here for a year now and she has achieved so much since she has been back, she has just completed a course in childcare and is working for Sesame Lane Childcare, she passed her driving test and this time around she has made lots of new friends, it's definitely all about time.

We have also been chatting to a couple who are moving to Redcliffe with girls aged 12, 10 and 3. They were originally from the UK but settled in Tasmania, however they have now decided to relocate to Redcliffe. You ask what is here for the children well I guess when they start school and make friends they will find plenty to do so therefore you won't have the problem we had when your's become teenagers because they will already have a network of friends and be familiar with the area and what it has to offer.

If you want nightclubs well you need to go into the City and as for Surf Clubs well the only one here is on Suttons Beach but this is only a Surf Life Saving Club where children can be taught life saving skills.

In Redcliffe itself there is the RSL Club and the Leagues Club, both of which have children's rooms and good food and entertainment and many nice Restaurants to choose from, all children friendly, this was something that we liked about Australia as back home if you took the children out you had to sit in a designated area, but not here, it is very family orientated and our only regret is that we didn't make the move when our children were younger.

Lastly, as for Southern Cross we know of two couples that send their children their and are very happy with the school. I'm sure you will find all you need to know on their website. Hope this helps, good luck Karen & Mike

Guest barab

Although were back home now mate,

Redcliffe holds a special place in my heart and always will.We lived there when we first arrived and loved it.

It's a really nice place to live and it has a great Catholic community and church,Holy cross in Kippa ring ,which is also a nice place to live,and only minutes from the water.

Catholic Archdiocese of Brisbane: Redcliffe - Holy Cross

Hope it works out for you.

We live in Redcliffe. been here since last year in the newport area. Very nice part and feel this is the nicer part. Bicycle rides late afternoon along the beachfront are lovely, or in the morning and stopping for a coffee in one of the many cafes, looking out to Moreton Bay. Redcliffe is in the middle for the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast and the city only 35k away. We have soccer clubs, swimming clubs, rugby, cricket, beach tennis, tennis courts, kite surfing, and many more sports. We have a large library, bmx-skateboard park, 8 screen cinema, and the ice skating is just over the bridge that takes you into brisbane. Everything is here for everyday activities and life. There is a shopping centre, and another 15mins away which is much newer and nicer in Northlakes. Also a much larger shopping centre in Chermside which is 25min away. I have a child at Southern Cross, who is in year 5. I would recommend that you put their names on the list, as we were unable to get him into the Scarborough campus as they were full. He is at the Kippa-Ring campus, which he rides too everyday which takes 15mins to cycle and 5mins in the car. Oz schooling is different to the UK. Check on the website for the fees and uniform prices. If you want big waves for surfing, then you need to head to Sunshine Coast 45min to Colundra which is lovely, or Bribie Island 35min away. There is the Dolphins Club which is a main meeting place, although children have to leave at 9.00pm. fri and Sat eves are always busy there. No pubs in Queensland like you get in the Uk. Plenty of park areas with Barbie's which are always clean. I do know Redcliffe was different 12 yrs ago and Deception Bay which was run down a little has improved heaps. There is no daylight saving in Queensland, although dark by 7.00pm in the summer the beachfront is well lit up and ok for a evening bike ride, a stroll with the dog, or a jog. We feel very safe here, and my son has so much more freedom. Have you employment to come too, as work situation at present is the same as Uk, though i have heard maybe not as bad here. I do know people that have been here 3-4 months and are still seeking work. As teenagers if they come out then, it will be much harder to adjust to ozzy life, as it is very different. I feel Sunshine Coast may be harder to find employment, so Redcliffe, Scarborough is a good option. All the best in your descision. It's not a easy one to make picking a area.

Sorry forgot to mention the boat harbour is great, and plenty of places for fishing. Also in the winter here, you can catch the boat from Redcliffe Pier and go Whale Watching, also a good price, or take a drive to Brisbane and catch the boat to Moreton Island and feed the dolphins.

Guest Iain H
Sorry forgot to mention the boat harbour is great, and plenty of places for fishing. Also in the winter here, you can catch the boat from Redcliffe Pier and go Whale Watching, also a good price, or take a drive to Brisbane and catch the boat to Moreton Island and feed the dolphins.

Hi - Thanks for your efforts on this ! - It sounds very much as we hoped and everybody seems to be confirming our thoughts after we spent time there driving around the area.

Guest Iain H
Hi Iain, we migrated to Redcliffe from Newport, South Wales UK. We are now in our 3rd year and we liken our experience to a rollercoaster ride as we came out here with our children, Son aged 18 and Daughter 16, our Son went back after 3 months and our Daughter followed 6 months later because they missed their friends and life was too quiet for them, however our Son comes back for the holidays (3 months at a time) and now knows that this is where he wants to come when he finishes his law degree (only 1 year to go can't wait) and as for our Daughter well she also returned with her boyfriend and has been here for a year now and she has achieved so much since she has been back, she has just completed a course in childcare and is working for Sesame Lane Childcare, she passed her driving test and this time around she has made lots of new friends, it's definitely all about time.

We have also been chatting to a couple who are moving to Redcliffe with girls aged 12, 10 and 3. They were originally from the UK but settled in Tasmania, however they have now decided to relocate to Redcliffe. You ask what is here for the children well I guess when they start school and make friends they will find plenty to do so therefore you won't have the problem we had when your's become teenagers because they will already have a network of friends and be familiar with the area and what it has to offer.

If you want nightclubs well you need to go into the City and as for Surf Clubs well the only one here is on Suttons Beach but this is only a Surf Life Saving Club where children can be taught life saving skills.

In Redcliffe itself there is the RSL Club and the Leagues Club, both of which have children's rooms and good food and entertainment and many nice Restaurants to choose from, all children friendly, this was something that we liked about Australia as back home if you took the children out you had to sit in a designated area, but not here, it is very family orientated and our only regret is that we didn't make the move when our children were younger.

Lastly, as for Southern Cross we know of two couples that send their children their and are very happy with the school. I'm sure you will find all you need to know on their website. Hope this helps, good luck Karen & Mike

Hi Mike - It sounds as though you have been through the mill a bitbut glad it is working out for you now. Thanks for your input.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AJEM

To Kernow43

Really enjoyed your youtube video on Redcliffe. Have you done the second video yet. Thanks

• 1 month later...
Guest NinaW

Video is fantastic Kernow43!

We decided before we left the UK to move to Redcliffe so I wish we had seen something like that before we moved to help with the decision.

Loved hearing your Cornish accent. As a cornish girl myself I have missed my homeland very much since the move here.

• 8 years later...
On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2009 at 23:29, kernow43 said:

Have put together a slide show, it was a bit rushed, so any apologies for tranisition quality and sound, but will give a bit of a feel for the area.

Thank you for making this short film, we've found it very informative and useful, my wife and I are looking for a place to settle in the suburbs of Queensland and so far Redcliffe and Currumbin are ticking the boxes.

Thanks!

Archived