The thing I'm most worried bout... (medicals)

LukeM

As I'm 16, and we have medicals up'n'coming on Monday... what do I need to expect?

Chest x-rays probably right but that's ok I'm cool with a bit of radiation 'n all that but does it require any of the following for a 16 year old "young man" such as myself? (if either are the case it'll be the worst day of my week for sure!!):

- undressing

- blood tests (MORE concerned bout that I HATE HATE HATE NEEDLES but if it gets me into Aus I MIGHT be a little more willing but STILL I hope it doesn't!!)

Bare in mind: 175 skilled independent migrant (permanent residency) :unsure:

Hi Luke

As far as I know you'll have xrays and blood tests, not sure about the undressing, if you do a search you'll find lots of posts about the medicals. Can't help much I'm afraid as we haven't had ours yet!

I'm sure you'll be fine, wish you all the best :smile:

Kim x

Same as you do not like neddles at all. look away it hurts less than than an ant bite, it is just the thourght look away.

The rest is just reflexes, and urine test make sure you need a wee as you go in. I can't remember gettting undressed.

Guest The "legdes"

Hiya,

My 17 year old daughter and my 13 year old son had their meds with us in Feb. Really don't worry. For the chest xray the girls had to go into a cubicle and take their top half clothes off then put on a cloth gown covered by a dressing gown - all modesty I'm glad to say was protected. We then went into the xray room 1 by 1 with the radiologist to have the xrays done. You just stand with your shoulders back and chin on a rest and its done in 1 second. We took our dressing gowns off but left the cloth gowns on. My son and husband went in together with the radiologist and just took their tshirts off - stood there for the xray 1 by 1 and then put them back on. No one saw them with their tops off except the radiologist. ..and then the radiologist even let them look at the xrays and explained the pics to them. I didn't get any of that though.

We had the xrays done first.

Then it was off to the doc. We all went off one by one to a loo where we were given little jugs to wee into. Very easy and there was a little hatch in the loo where you passed your jug through to so no embarrassment carrying your wee down a corridor or anything - all very discrete and sensitive. What I would say though is watch what you eat and drink that day - plenty of water all day to flush the pipes and kidneys out and don't have loads of choccy bars etc either and wee a bit down the loo before you fill the jug - again just flushes the pipes out. There was plenty of water on hand to drink so don't worry if you need a wee before you give your sample...if you've drunk enough you'll be able to do another.

Then yes - you will have to give a bit of blood. The nurses are so good at this that if you don't look you won't feel it. Tell them you're a bit funny about blood and they'll make sure you are looked after. Hey even the biggest bravest firemen - like my husband goes weak at the thought of needles - you'll be fine don't worry.

After that its easy peasy... the doc will ask you if you are OK- mine asked me to walk in a straight line ! -lol and to touch his finger in front of my face and then my nose, to read a sight chart - so if you have glasses remember to take them with you, I had to lie down he felt my stomach - very briefly and listened to my lungs back and front - big breaths etc.

That was it.....I couldn't believe walking a straight line bit !

Don't worry - you'll be fine and if you are worried about anything or have any questions ask the nurse or doc - they will love to put your mind at rest and to help.

Let us know how you get on - relax you'll be fine its a doddle.

Guest The "legdes"

Oh - and when you see the doc its only t-shirst off again - all other clothes stay on (including bras for the girls)....just thought you might wonder about that bit too. Smile and relax - it'll be fine.

dont worry they will be fine, I had to take my trousers off to do the reflex test and for him to check my stomach and things but left all underwear on and everything, you can phone the docs and have a chat with them beforehand, I did. Some do a breast/testicle exam but I odnt think it's all medical centres and I would be surprised if they would for a young person.

It'll all be over in a flash dont worry then you're one more step closer to getting over here!

HI, Hate to tell you this really, but my three boys, hubby, son(18) & son (14) all had to drop their trousers & cough, it's to check for hernia's ( over in seconds) & you will have to have blood tests. My eldest faint's with needles but even he was fine! don't worry yourself though hun, it's all soon done, the rest is over & done with in minutes especially for a fit healthy young man. Good luck with it.

Guest beverley
HI, Hate to tell you this really, but my three boys, hubby, son(18) & son (14) all had to drop their trousers & cough, it's to check for hernia's ( over in seconds) & you will have to have blood tests. My eldest faint's with needles but even he was fine! don't worry yourself though hun, it's all soon done, the rest is over & done with in minutes especially for a fit healthy young man. Good luck with it.

We had ours about a month ago and boyfriend didnt have to drop trousers. Though I had to have a breast exam. I think it depends on what doctor you happen to see. I was so nervous about the blood test that i wasnt even thinking about the possibility of having a breast exam - glad in a way. I would advise if you dont like blood tests to ask the nurse if you can lie down i have found that i dont faint if i lie down!

But dont worry about it if you can and remember that to the doctors you are just another medical exam and it will all be over really quickly.

Panel Drs do vary is their examination techniques. Some members do have to do the 'drop and cough', lots dont. Do you which Dr you will be going to see, another member may have used the same guy and be able to tell you exactly what will happen.

Try not to worry it wont be as bad as you think,honest,lol

Cal x

Thanks for the re-assurance people

I don't know the doctor I'm seeing no... but yeah hopefully I don't have to drop 'em

And yeah... the only reason I'm going to do it is the chance it might get me Down Under :jiggy:

So I'll be careful, lots of bottled water in College and no chocolate I can't bare the thought of eating any more as it is. :err:

As I say I'm pretty sure I have never/don't have TB lol thankfully... as for all else, well y'know as long as I'm all clean I'm all happy =D

Peace out y'all =)

As I'm 16, and we have medicals up'n'coming on Monday... what do I need to expect?

Chest x-rays probably right but that's ok I'm cool with a bit of radiation 'n all that but does it require any of the following for a 16 year old "young man" such as myself? (if either are the case it'll be the worst day of my week for sure!!):

- undressing

- blood tests (MORE concerned bout that I HATE HATE HATE NEEDLES but if it gets me into Aus I MIGHT be a little more willing but STILL I hope it doesn't!!)

Hi

We were really worried about the meds but to be honest theres nothing to it..

Afraid to say you do need to undress and will need an HIV blood test..

Have a look at this link, its all about what we went through and may answer some of your questions..

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/54573-meds-done-dusted.html

Goodluck..

Guest jamtart

Just thought I would post this as the topic was about medicals- we have to pay for our 18 year old son (probably be 20+ when needed) to have his Meds done- and he isn't even coming with us !!!

Hi we didnt have to undress all i had to do was lift my top so he could listen to chest etc with stephascope. Only thing i took off was top for xray but put a gown on in cubicle and didnt have to take gown off for actual xray.

I was nervous about it aswell but there is honestly nothing to worry about.

Rachael

Guest The "legdes"

Hey Luke - was it today you were having you med ? How did it go ?

Oh and just wanted to say you sound like a really nice guy - bet your parents are really proud of you ! - (sorry if that's not a cool thing to say - lol).

Hope we all helped relax you a bit.

Hi The "ledges" - thank you for the kind words :biglaugh:

I don't know, they might be. I don't tend to ask. They just expect a lot of me and I may be good at bluffing the successful delivery of that "lot" :biggrin:

Anyway. Medicals are Monday!!! Over 48 hours to go as I write this. Will be trying not to think about it as I undertake my usual session of weekendly child labour at Sainsbury's (my parents said I'm not allowed to quit now that I've got the colleague discount card, cos they got £12 off last nights shop!!) DAMN. Ahh well.

Guest Rickard Family

- undressing

Hi Luke

hope all goes well Monday!...i'm sure you will be fine, we have ours Thursday so would be interested to know how you get on!

Lou x

Guest littlesarah

I know it's probably no help, Luke, but trust me you're just yet another body the Doc has to look at!

I took my sample in a clean jar with me to my 2nd medical, to save time. I don't know whether all of the Drs would accept that as OK - but the one who did mine did.

If you lie down while they take your blood you won't faint - less embarrassing than trying to look 'hard' & ending up on the floor! (Sorry to say, it's usually young men who faint when it comes to needles, yet little old grannies are tough as nails!). Just take yourself, in your head, to a sunny day on an Aussie beach full of hot Aussie surf chicks - it'll be over before ya know it!

Good luck - sure you'll be fine.

Sarah

Guest The "legdes"

Ooop ..well my 17 year old daughter has exactly the same sad tale to tell - she works at Tescos on Fri nights (ha) and Sat ams. Shame isn't it these wicked parents ...and you all fall for it ! The discount feels like payback - its wonderful ...one draw back though - she now gets my club card points.. Hmmm doesn't feel quite so good when I think of that.

Oh well good luck for Monday - you really do have to let us know how you went on.

Hi The "ledges" - thank you for the kind words :biglaugh:

I don't know, they might be. I don't tend to ask. They just expect a lot of me and I may be good at bluffing the successful delivery of that "lot" :biggrin:

Anyway. Medicals are Monday!!! Over 48 hours to go as I write this. Will be trying not to think about it as I undertake my usual session of weekendly child labour at Sainsbury's (my parents said I'm not allowed to quit now that I've got the colleague discount card, cos they got £12 off last nights shop!!) DAMN. Ahh well.

Just a note to the younger ones, I thank God now that my parents 'encouraged' me to work when i was allowed. Market stalls from 13yrs old. It makes you appreciate money and creates a good work ethic for later on. Trust me it does you alot more good than harm.

I was under the impression that a more thorough exam (breast exam etc) was only required if medical history (including family history) indicated it was necessary.

I'm really dreading the medicals (end of this month). Although I have no on-going medical issues I seem to have to tick 'yes' to so much on the questionnaire - lots of one-offs. It seems to imply I'm a sick-face! And I'm really dreading the possibility of a breast exam. Still. Could be worse!

I was under the impression that a more thorough exam (breast exam etc) was only required if medical history (including family history) indicated it was necessary.

I'm really dreading the medicals (end of this month). Although I have no on-going medical issues I seem to have to tick 'yes' to so much on the questionnaire - lots of one-offs. It seems to imply I'm a sick-face! And I'm really dreading the possibility of a breast exam. Still. Could be worse!

Hi 3go to perth, the breast exam is dependent on the doc I think, I was told on phone that I would need one (so promptly started dreading it!) and then when I got there he just asked if I had ever had any problems and I said no so he didnt do one in the end. You will be fine dont worry, in a way it's quite nice to get an all clear, the blood test results worried me most even though I knew they would be fine!

Archived