Any primary school teachers with some advice?

Guest kayleigh

Guest kayleigh

I am a primary school teacher looking to make the big move from Brighton to Sydney. Any advice about applications, job hunting, best areas, visa's just about anything! I would be forever grateful!

Hi Kayleigh,

I'm in Queensland on the Sunshine Coast and a primary teacher. We moved here in November 2008 and I started trawling the private sector jobs on www.seek.com.au. I registered first with the rel. teaching body which is the Queensland College of Teachers here but first got my teaching quals assessed by Teaching Australia (did this in the UK before arriving!).

To get a job in a state school in QLD you have to undertaken country service, which basically means the government places you in a school...usually miles from anywhere and you acrew points which then allows you to transfer schools...think it can take a few years to get points under your belt!

Im not sure if the same applies in NSW.

Anyhow, I got lucky with www.seek.com.au and had an interview at a private school the week after we landed and secured a full time position. You can also do casual work initally to get your face known as you never know what this will lead to!!

Good Luck!

Dugong x

NSW has an even stronger process of placement first in hard to fill places. If you get anything in Sydney it is likely to be Western suburbs:swoon: I assume you are 4 year trained because if you arent then you wont get a job at all. If you have any specializations - especially special ed training then play that up for all it is worth also any corporate life of the school stuff like organizing sporting carnivals, drama productions, music performances etc

Archived