Stuck with 2 Dogs

Guest anson aussies

Guest anson aussies
Hi,

I dont know if there is sufficient time, but have you looked into a PET Passport? Our dog maisy has one and it allows her to travel the world, and on return to the UK she doesnt have to sit in quarantine.

Just a thought, I think there is more info on the Defra website.

Jonathan

cheers Jon your right but my boys have only had their rabies jabs last month and blood tests aint till 28th april so they cant leave on pets passport till 21st october, however if theres a way to take then to europe id drive them thru dover piss easy.

Does anyone know of flying them to a european country other than england and entering england that way?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Darwin's coming too

Hi

If I'm reading this correctly, dogs need to have a rabies jab, wait a month for blood test then another 6 months before they can come back to UK ? Can dogs have rabies jab in UK before they go ?

lisa

Guest anson aussies
www.dogwalks.com.au im so sorry missed the au of the end ,

Cheers mate, she only lives upp the road from me, here and england, small world eh?

Hi Darwin, really aint got a scooby if you can do that but worth looking into.

Good Luck

Guest anson aussies
its called pet passport in the uk , good luck anson , hope your sorted if it was wa id have the dogs!

cheers mate your a star

its a pets passport here too, spoke to karen tonight btw, shes on the case too

i wouldnt rule that out m8, id fly em over, still cheaper than quarantine

Whats your rates mate hahahahahahahaha

Guest Darwin's coming too

Hi,

Thanks for the PM sharon. Anson you can have the rabies vaccination in UK to qualify for Pet Passport before you go to Oz so don't have to wait/do quarrantine in UK on return. Or you have to have rabies vacc in Oz and wait 6 mths before flying back to UK.

Lisa

p.s. sorry we're not arriving til mid July

Hi,

We were going to move back to Ireland later in the year but because of the job situation we are now going back next week. Our dog had his rabies shot in Ireland last July but only had his blood test 14th March 09. He flew back to Ireland yesterday but has to spend 5 months in quarantine, the requiremnt is 6 months from the time he got his blood test so because he had the test a month ago he has to do 5 months. He also has his pet passport. Unfortunately we have no-one here to leave him with and we feel so guilty for taking him here in the first place but when we left 8 months ago we thought we would be staying. Good luck, hope you get sorted.

Dor

Guest anson aussies
Hi,

We were going to move back to Ireland later in the year but because of the job situation we are now going back next week. Our dog had his rabies shot in Ireland last July but only had his blood test 14th March 09. He flew back to Ireland yesterday but has to spend 5 months in quarantine, the requiremnt is 6 months from the time he got his blood test so because he had the test a month ago he has to do 5 months. He also has his pet passport. Unfortunately we have no-one here to leave him with and we feel so guilty for taking him here in the first place but when we left 8 months ago we thought we would be staying. Good luck, hope you get sorted.

Dor

Thats pathetic, a blood test has no relevance regarding a rabies jab and id argue the toss if I was you.

Remember its about making money AGAIN. try ya luck and keep me posted.

Ask the quarantine to justify why they want to empty your bank account, even legal aid or a solicitor consultation may save you loads.

Its a hundred quid gamble id be prepared to pay.

Im in the process of trying to fly my dogs to Spain and drive em home from there, dont think ill be able to do it but running out of ideas fast.

Guest anson aussies

Hi everyone,

Goalposts have been moved, we have 2 dogs we need to re-home by Tuesday otherwise we may need to pound them.

This makes me fecking sick inside but our flights are booked for Wednesday and althought its exiting to go home theres tonnes (not heaps) of guilt so if anyone can help please let me know.

KalNgary offered to help but never replied to me so im now in need of snookers.

cheers

chris

have you rang the vets in your areas to see if they can be re homed that way? id double check with Calngary as well, doubt that she would just not get back to you , also did you get the dogs from a breeder here in oz? maybe worth ringing them to see if they could take them back and re home them , try putting a advert on aussiemove.com as well, you may get a wider peeps or same for the pages at the bottom of pio , thers webs like brits abroad .. good luck

• 4 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

Goalposts have been moved, we have 2 dogs we need to re-home by Tuesday otherwise we may need to pound them.

This makes me fecking sick inside but our flights are booked for Wednesday and althought its exiting to go home theres tonnes (not heaps) of guilt so if anyone can help please let me know.

KalNgary offered to help but never replied to me so im now in need of snookers.

cheers

chris

SO???? Did you have any luck? Have you rehomed them?

Guest tayella

hello,

our dogs are in brisbane in kennells at the mo costing 100 bucks a week for the pair and 2,800 for their flights.

We rehomed them for 1 night and got em back next morning so were keeping em now.

just goes to show some things are meant to be.

Well rate Malaysian airlines too, best flight we ever had.

hello,

our dogs are in brisbane in kennells at the mo costing 100 bucks a week for the pair and 2,800 for their flights.

We rehomed them for 1 night and got em back next morning so were keeping em now.

just goes to show some things are meant to be.

Well rate Malaysian airlines too, best flight we ever had.

Tayella!

I'm confused.com?

Are you "Anson Aussies" or someone else?

Sorry to sound stupid....................was just wondering if the Dogs were ok?

Regards

Guest SO,DIZZY
hi everyone,

goalposts have been moved, we have 2 dogs we need to re-home by tuesday otherwise we may need to pound them.

This makes me fecking sick inside but our flights are booked for wednesday and althought its exiting to go home theres tonnes (not heaps) of guilt so if anyone can help please let me know.

Kalngary offered to help but never replied to me so im now in need of snookers.

Cheers

chris

im so sorry that you are in such a state over your dogs, its a shame that things have gotten so desperate.. Wish i could help.. My daughter is desperate for a dog and ive promised as soon as we get to ozz she can have one, i think now we will wait a while when we get there to take on the responsibility.. It would break her heart to be in this position.. Wish i could help.. Sos i cant...

Dizz...

im so sorry that you are in such a state over your dogs, its a shame that things have gotten so desperate.. Wish i could help.. My daughter is desperate for a dog and ive promised as soon as we get to ozz she can have one, i think now we will wait a while when we get there to take on the responsibility.. It would break her heart to be in this position.. Wish i could help.. Sos i cant...

Dizz...

I'm taking 3 dogs and a cat back to UK (been here 13 years) am having rabies injection done hopefully late this week and blood tests after one month - was going to fly them to UK and put in quarantine for what would probably be four months after I've sold my house here in Oz. V. expensive - and would be quite stressful for my dogs who are "human" dogs, i.e. sleep in bed, watch tv on sofa and share our meals... however, thankfully, my ex husband (who is Aussie and a complete animal lover too) has agreed to change his rental property to one suitable for dogs and will take care of them until the 6 months quarantine is up... then I will arrange for chosen pet travel company to collect them and do the necessary to get them to me in North Wales ... he won't take the cat as he doesn't want responsibility if cat wanders so will have to pay quanrantine for puss for 4 months... he is also taking another 'rescue' dog that I took in recently, that had been hanging around the railway station for a few days (obviously abandoned) and wasn't micro-chipped and I'll be damned if I would take the poor little thing to Campbelltown Pound as he would be destroyed within a week if no-one claimed him and as he isn't a young dog and I think is developing cataracts what chance would he have finding a new home - buckley's I think.....! So ex hubby has also come up trumps again!! I do hope that everyone who is in same dilemma finds someone to care for their little friends and that the family will be united very soon!!! I would also strongly advise anyone coming out here to get Pets Passport done in UK or immediately on arrival or immediately after adopting pet in Australia to avoid what is obviuosly a very very costly and emotionally draining experience, not to mention the trauma caused to dogs/cats!!!

Guest John Locke
I would also strongly advise anyone coming out here to get Pets Passport done in UK or immediately on arrival or immediately after adopting pet in Australia to avoid what is obviuosly a very very costly and emotionally draining experience, not to mention the trauma caused to dogs/cats!!!

Hi, just want to clarify to make sure I`m on the right track...we got the dogs` rabies shots done a couple of weeks ago and I asked the vet about a Pets passport and he told me it was an EU thing, so all I have at the moment is just the certificates to show they`ve had their shots. Is that right? Or should I have(or be getting) something else...Also, how would/does a pets passport save on the cost of getting them back to U.K.?

hi john in the uk the whole scheme is called pet passport , so your rabs and , other vaccs are all up to date and you can take your pets to europe on their hols they usually have to see a vet before they come back to uk , prior to coming home if my memory serves me well..

here in australia, you go to vets get the rabies shot done and then the bloods within time space i think its a 30 dayer or thereabouts , you get your certificate and your here 6 months the animal goes back to the uk , if your certs are ok i think you can stagger it say 4 months here and 2 months there , though they will have to stay in quarantine for the last 2 months there.

if you do the full 6 months here , your just taking them home.

if your cert says yes dogs are all clear and your happy staying here just get the booster within the year , annually, and your covered just in case.. does this make sense? hope so .

Guest John Locke
hi john in the uk the whole scheme is called pet passport , so your rabs and , other vaccs are all up to date and you can take your pets to europe on their hols they usually have to see a vet before they come back to uk , prior to coming home if my memory serves me well..

here in australia, you go to vets get the rabies shot done and then the bloods within time space i think its a 30 dayer or thereabouts , you get your certificate and your here 6 months the animal goes back to the uk , if your certs are ok i think you can stagger it say 4 months here and 2 months there , though they will have to stay in quarantine for the last 2 months there.

if you do the full 6 months here , your just taking them home.

if your cert says yes dogs are all clear and your happy staying here just get the booster within the year , annually, and your covered just in case.. does this make sense? hope so .

Makes perfect sense, thanks. I was just confused over the whole Pet Passport thing and thought I`d perhaps been misinformed. I must admit I`m finding the procedure and worry of getting the dogs home more stressful than selling the house!!

There is a website you can look at - if you pm me I will send you the info I got from quarantine kennels in Chester in UK. Pets have the rabies injection and then one month after they have a blood test - then - and only after the blood test is done - they have to either remain in Australia for a full six months and then you can collect them direct from airport on their arrival as they will have what is called an AQIS certificate (PETS passport - or PETS Scheme) which means you can basically take them anywhere in the world where this scheme is acceptable, i.e. if you want to return to Australia I believe you can without going through quarantine.... or you can keep them here for a full 6 months - either with friends or boarding kennels OR you can take them back to UK without getting rabies injection or blood test but they have to stay a full six months in quarantine - but I guess you already knew that!! Anyway, type in AQIS or PETS scheme into search engine and you should get all info you need - or type in DEFRA which is the government body in UK I believe!!

Rgds.

tell me about it, we were the same the other way, but i can honestly say they cope better than you , the people in chardge are vets etc that have this sort of thing all tied up.. remember animals live in the moment , unlike us .. good luck and try not to worry too much ! ( lol, i know ) who are you useing to ship them to the uk?

Guest John Locke

Fantasia, thanks for that, I think I`m on track now, just wasn`t sure if a Pets passport was something I needed as well as getting the dogs home through Pet scheme.....

Not sure who to use yet, we have about seven quotes all in the region of $5000 plus spoke to someone who mainly deals in zoo animals but has transported dogs, he quoted $2800 to sort out paperwork if we supply the crates...so I don`t know, really not sure. Some require payment up front but others have a monthly payment scheme which is a big factor for us atm....any reccomendations would be welcome..!

Archived