Prospective Marriage Visa - applied today

Guest kel0x

Guest kel0x

Hi everyone

I'm from Perth originally but have been living in the UK since 1997 but it's time to go back.. My fiance and I sent off his prospective marriage visa application today 'cause it wouldn't be much fun going without him! The wedding is booked for Spring next year in Perth. Pretty sure that we included enough evidence in the application so fingers crossed that it all goes through fine, I don't see why we would have any problems.

Does anyone have any idea of how long it should take to get the go ahead? We've not been married before, we're young and haven't got any kids yet so I assume there's not that much for them to process?! We want to get there asap as I'm sure many of you understand :cute: hehe.

Any info on a time-scale would be much appreciated

Kelly

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Kelly,

I'm still doing my research so haven't applied for one myself yet (almost ready!) but going on what I've read here on the forum, if you have applied via Australia House in London and "front-loaded" your application, it could take less than a week! As I understand it, it can take an extra week or two if you haven't supplied your medical report and police checks up front.

I hope you hear really soon :smile: Good luck!

Guest AusSaus

We mailed our visa to Australia House on Tues 14.4.09 and would love to know how long others in the UK have recently taken to get their Prospective Marriage visas. I'm in Sydney and my boy is currently working in the UK while we wait for this to come through. He is getting his medical done in the next week or so but apart from that our visa is front loaded. I've heard there are lots of applications at the moment because of the GFC which may hold things up?

I'm getting a bit impatient because he's already been gone over 2 months and it's getting cold in Sydney! Will post again if we get any news.

Guest kel0x

so far: posted on the 15th, got a reply on the 20th, he said that had we front-loaded the application he could have done it by the end of the week. My partner was asked for my financial details (which aren't great as I've just left uni) so i suspect he'll need an Assurance of Support but my family in Oz are up for doing that so thats good. Will have to see if they ask for one. He's just gotta have his medical now then we should be up and running. Had to re-arrange the wedding for this year because it was too far away. We just didn't expect the application to be so fast though!

Guest lou_lou

I plan to apply for this visa really soon so please keep this thread updated & best of luck for a speedy result :)

Guest AusSaus

We haven't heard anything yet, but our application is not as straightforward as Kel's. I have sponsored before (my ex husband) and my partner has a an exclusion because of too many bridging visa E's while in Australia. They haven't even acknowledged receipt yet. I'm pretty sure we will get grilled.

Guest lou_lou

Ah AusSaus we are in very similar boats. I've sponsored before, (a soon to be ex-husband) and am waiting for the divorce paperwork to come through before we can lodge this application. Please stay in touch - would love to know how you get on. Not sure how the PM thing works but maybe you could e-mail me?

Good luck anyway!

Guest kel0x

Yeah I don't think ours could be much more straightforward really, apart from me not being in too great a financial position.. but nothing that an AOS can't solve I assume. He's having his medical on Monday, I booked it this morning. Just gotta book his X-ray now. Medical is costing 160 and the X-Ray is 80. I didn't expect it to cost that much but never mind.

Guest lou_lou

I'd like to know about the AOS too kel0x as I've turned into a single mother which I guess won't look super for supporting someone else. My family have said they are ok to do it too though.

Good luck to you too!

Guest AusSaus

We've had an email today. They want more evidence that we intend to marry! We've only been together for 11 months, frustratingly he had to leave Australia at the beginning of Feb due to a refused Skilled Migrant app. I'm not really sure how to provide this? Anyone got any ideas? Should I send some quotes for catering and flowers and stuff?

The police check we sent was the one he used for his previous application, as he hasn't lived in the UK for more than 12 months since then we thought it would be ok to use again but it seems they're asking for him to get another one. We will clarify this with them.

She's also asked him to get the health check done, which was expected.

Guest Nadjez

hello everyone

ahr finally it is soo good to have a decent thread about prospective marriage visa's/ It is interesting what you say about maybe needing an AOS .As my partner has just been made redundant and hasnt got another job yet, also my savings aren't that great as it has all gone on flying to and forth from Australia hahaha. I do however have a letter from my previous employer at a chicken farm where i worked on my working holiday visa saying that she would be happy to give me a permanent position if i got the visa, that was dated in december. other than that i have no idea who would be an AOS to me. Could my parnets (english )be AOS or does it have to be an aussie? ahhhrrrr.

as for more eveidence of getting married yeah i would send in anything you can but also have you booked your wedding and have you given your notice of intended marriage. My marriage celebrant wrote a letter for us. ahhhr it's not long now til i get it all together and send of.:elvis: but obviously scared because partner has no job, he's away on work experience at the mo fishing . also have to send stat dec back to his sister as it is not right ahhrrr when will it ened hehe.

Guest lou_lou

It is good to hear from others who are applying for this visa....we are a small bunch arent we :)

For proof of the wedding I can only think of providing copies of the things you mentioned you had organised already. Have you put deposits down for anything yet? Maybe you could give copies of that. It's hard to make firm wedding plans without a visa and a proper date isn't it! I thought the notice of intended marriage that Nadjez mentioned was compulsory so I assume they are asking for further proof on top of that?

Guest AusSaus

We included the letter from the celebrant (NOIM) so yeah, it must mean the other stuff. I haven't put deposits down, you can't seriously organise a wedding when you don't know how long immigration are going to take. The celebrant even said to me that the date she puts on the letter is not an actual booking with her, just a date for immigration as she does these things all the time and you never know how long they will take. She said once the approval comes through then we work out the real date.

Nice to have this thread as a bit of support though, definitely.

Guest lou_lou

No you can't book anything when you have no idea about their timelines can you! I suppose on the bright side they must be working through your application quickly.

Guest Nadjez

coorrr that is a hard one, yeah that's right you can't plan the wedding more until you have the visa for deffo, the only other thing i would have as evidence is a few wedding dresses ideas haha. what about ur stat decs from people wether they havestated inn them about your plans to get married.

Guest AusSaus

They mentioned that we are engaged (we put in four stat decs), but not the wedding as such. I'm a bit of last minute planner generally, especially when dates are wishy washy, which won't be helpful I guess? I'll get some stuff together about venues etc and send it over and see how it goes.

Guest lou_lou

You've been married before too right? Oh dear this is making me nervous about our application too. I'd thought we would submit the NOIM with a rough date and then plan things once the visa was approved.

Guest AusSaus

Yes, in 2000. We withdrew the application shortly before his permanent residency came through because we broke up. I guess this app looks suss to them because we got engaged around the time he had to go back to the UK and probably didn't talk enough about the wedding in our statements (although we did mention it). This whole process is difficult and stressful and puts unnecessary stress on the relationship. But as the marriage celebrant said to me, you wouldn't go through this process if you didn't love him.

Guest Nadjez

that's right we wouldn't go through this process if we didn't love the other half. ahhrr i'm scared as well now, me and partner got engaged a month before my working hol visa ran out, but had said we realised that we couldn't be apart and wanted to be with each toher for ever. and had previously talked about it also as well. but that was 25th december 2007 a while ago now, and we have both been travelling to and from australia to see each other, sooo expensive hence why no savings now haha. oh well we all can only do the best we can i suppose. good luck to every one!! i really mean that we are all in the some boat some have more tricky circumstances than others but yeah ahhrrrr.

Guest lou_lou

I guess to others who have to wait so long for visas these look easy to get but your right they do place a lot of stress on the relationship. My partner is in the UK and we've been flying back and forward over the last 12 months while we are waiting for my divorce to come through. I'm sure immigration will be very happy to have this application from us the minute I'm divorced from the ex-husband I also sponsored here!

It's a good tip to talk about the wedding in the statements anyway - thanks :)

Guest Nadjez

ahr lou lou haha yeah i recon immi will love ur application as well haha, as long as u provide all evidence etc all should be good, they might want you to go for an interview as well, i dunno. yeah it is hard being away from ur partner, he's in ozzie im in uk, also im extra torn cuz my parents want me to delay my wedding til next ausgust as they can't afford to go, but we are getting married in december, better weather(on the beach) and also i chose december as it was the best holiday time as mums a teacher sis is at uni and bro is a t school and dad well its xmas hols haha. december is too far way we want to be living together get married and start our future together. and also august is crap weather, so ahhrrr . but we have to do it, i have already put it off long enough .

when are you planning on getting married lou and where?

Guest lou_lou

I'm sure they will give us an interview, I had one the first time I sponsored. Additionally immigration agents came and did a 'raid' to check I was actually living with my first husband! I must have a red flag already.

Thats hard to know what to do isn't it. I know if I had to decide between getting married sooner or spending another months apart I'd choose getting married and hope my parents would understand. Being apart like this is sooo hard. December on the beach sounds perfect anyway.

We haven't decided where to get married yet. I was originally from the UK too so if we got married there I still have lots of family who could come. But it would be nice to get married in Oz so his family can see where we will be living. I had kind of thought we could figure that out closer to the date but maybe we can't if they need to see some firm wedding plans.

Guest Nadjez

omg a 'raid' i herd that this could happen but actually haven't herd of it ever happening, poor you ohm,!!!

ok so yeah all yr family is in uk as well. yeah i would love to have all my friends and family at my wedding but i don't want to geth married in uk as there are restrictions as where you can get married, im not a church person or hotel gardens etc etc hence why i chose oz in the end,iyou can get married outside and pretty much wherever you want : )i like simple, simple small beach wedding, i even liked the idea of having a barbie afterwards and a few of us camping hahaha. but yeah im going to see if i can pay for at least my sister to come out. we havea dtae booked and a beach but when i get the visa (if they let me )we can change the details.

Also you don't happen to know what happens if you apply for your 2 year spouse temp visa after prospective marriage visa before the 9 months is up do they add on the 2 years onto the 9monmths or stop the 9months and then begin the 2 years, or i suppose it may go over 9 months and you need a bridgeing visa, ahhrr.

where did you get married first timne?sorry i hope you dont mind me asking these questions, where abouts in oz u living?

i hope ur divorce comes through ok soon, and ur application runs smoothley as it can considering your situation .:hug:

Guest lou_lou

yeah the raid was on a wednesday night after I'd married the soon to be ex-husband. They came around at 10pm and asked to see all sorts of random things like toothbrushes!

I have my parents and sister here in Melbourne but there are lots of aunties and uncles still living in Yorkshire which is where my partner lives. So while it would be nice to get married over there and have a family reunion thing going on I'm pretty easy going about it....I just want to be together! I got married in Australia the first time, nothing as nice a beach wedding though!

I haven't thought that far ahead about what happens next but I think the 2 years would start fresh. i don't know though!

I'm in melbourne, are you in Oz or are you the one in the UK? Where do you plan to live here?

Thanks hon....me too!!

Archived