and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest Lozisgoingtooz

Does anyone live in Torquay/Ocean grove

Guest Lozisgoingtooz

Hi

We have just returned from our visa validation trip and have fallen for Torquay and the surrounding areas but would like to ask people's advice on what it's like to live there, e.g. infant schools etc. I'll hopefully be working just North of Geelong but want to live as close to the Sea as poss, and Torquay seems to fit the bill whilst we have a young child.

Cheers

Loz :hug:

i am looking to move to Torquay this winter, i love the place and currently have a few ffriend living there.

Over "skoolies" holidays it does get abit crazy with drunken teens but part from that its a great place.

not sure about the schools (i dont have any kids) but the relaxed life living by the beach is great. i just spent easter weekend there taking photos for the Torquay Outriggers canoeing team.

Velly

My Flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/27511104@N02/ Lots of photos from Oz

Hi

We have just returned from our visa validation trip and have fallen for Torquay and the surrounding areas but would like to ask people's advice on what it's like to live there, e.g. infant schools etc. I'll hopefully be working just North of Geelong but want to live as close to the Sea as poss, and Torquay seems to fit the bill whilst we have a young child.

Cheers

Loz :hug:

I haven't lived in Torquay but worked there for 18 or so years, travelling between Lorne and there 5 days a week. Torquay has at least three or four areas: Old Torquay (the original 50's Torquay); Jan Juc just south of Torquay mostly surfers live there, and the new estates around the country club and the new golf course.

There are two distinct types of residents: the surfing fraternity who live the surfing life and work in the surfing industry. This is a very close and somewhat closed group who see themselves as the "local community" (bit exaggerated but you know what I mean). Then there are the rest of the residents of Torquay.

There are two primary schools, a government P-9 (which takes students to year 9, they would then move to another school in Belmont or Geelong to complete their final three years of education) and a catholic private school. Both of these schools are situated in Grossmans Road actually opposite each other. I understand that both schools have excellent reputations.

The sporting amenities in Torquay are also excellent, as is the shopping and coffee shops etc. Good Community Health Centre and Medical Rooms. But you probably have already sussed that out.

Also in the pipe line are plans to build a huge housing estate at Mt Duneed just north of Torquay (Geelong end). for about 50,000 residents. You could also look at another area there "Breamlea" which lies between Barwon Heads and Torquay and has beach front.

There is a nice little area of beach in North Geelong called St Helens. Older area quiet, just off the Melbourne Geelong Highway close to Rippleside, Drumcondra and Western Beach (all reasonably expensive areas in Geelong). I nearly bought a house there once.

One of the areas of Geelong that has some of the best views- is a place called North Shore. It's in Norlane/North Shore and the views face the city across the bay, so you miss the Shell Refinery vista that you can get from the city. But of course that places it in the Industrial area and not "desirable" for some immigrants

All the beach areas in the Geelong, Melbourne, and Point Cook area are bayside beaches. The areas of Barwon Heads, Ocean Grove Torquay, Breamlea, Anglesea, Airey’s Inlet, Lorne etc. are ocean beaches. Differences of course being sailing sports versus surfing sports.

If you need further information let me know and I will try and help.

Cheers

dalhousie

I haven't lived in Torquay but worked there for 18 or so years, travelling between Lorne and there 5 days a week. Torquay has at least three or four areas: Old Torquay (the original 50's Torquay); Jan Juc just south of Torquay mostly surfers live there, and the new estates around the country club and the new golf course. [/font][/color]

There are two distinct types of residents: the surfing fraternity who live the surfing life and work in the surfing industry. This is a very close and somewhat closed group who see themselves as the "local community" (bit exaggerated but you know what I mean). Then there are the rest of the residents of Torquay.

There are two primary schools, a government P-9 (which takes students to year 9, they would then move to another school in Belmont or Geelong to complete their final three years of education) and a catholic private school. Both of these schools are situated in Grossmans Road actually opposite each other. I understand that both schools have excellent reputations.

The sporting amenities in Torquay are also excellent, as is the shopping and coffee shops etc. Good Community Health Centre and Medical Rooms. But you probably have already sussed that out.

Also in the pipe line are plans to build a huge housing estate at Mt Duneed just north of Torquay (Geelong end). for about 50,000 residents. You could also look at another area there "Breamlea" which lies between Barwon Heads and Torquay and has beach front.

There is a nice little area of beach in North Geelong called St Helens. Older area quiet, just off the Melbourne Geelong Highway close to Rippleside, Drumcondra and Western Beach (all reasonably expensive areas in Geelong). I nearly bought a house there once.

One of the areas of Geelong that has some of the best views- is a place called North Shore. It's in Norlane/North Shore and the views face the city across the bay, so you miss the Shell Refinery vista that you can get from the city. But of course that places it in the Industrial area and not "desirable" for some immigrants

All the beach areas in the Geelong, Melbourne, and Point Cook area are bayside beaches. The areas of Barwon Heads, Ocean Grove Torquay, Breamlea, Anglesea, Airey’s Inlet, Lorne etc. are ocean beaches. Differences of course being sailing sports versus surfing sports.

If you need further information let me know and I will try and help.

Cheers

dalhousie

Hi there, bit of a blast from the past with your thread but you seem to have a lot of local knowledge so will also hit you up for some help.

My wife and I lived on the Sunshine coast and found it a bit crowded and humid, moved to Tasmania and although its been good and a stunning place to visit we think we've moved here 30 years too early. We both really like Torquay and think it would suit our lifestyles perfectly but have concerns re the weather in winter. Wife has never really liked the cold and this winter in Tasmania has been windy, rain/floods, more wind etc and we've had the fire on for 6 weeks straight! Oh, and we have both found waking up and driving to work and then home in the dark a bit of a drag too.

Could you let me know what winter etc is really like in Torquay please.I've found info with average rainfall etc but doesn't really let you know what it's like to live in.

Many thanks Jonathan

It's cold in Winter- not quite as cold as Tassie but still need fires. Overrun with tourists in Summer but I guess you get that anywhere near the beach,