Guest Nelg77

Vehicle exporting to Australia

Guest Nelg77

Hi All,

Just wondering if any one has any advice on shipping a car to Australia to save buying one when there. I was not even considering this option, but it seems that there are not many good 2nd hand bargains to be found in Oz. I have a 2001 model BMW which I bought for £4k, for the same amount of money in Australia it seems I will have to drop down to a car manufactured in and around 1995.

I know that shipping will cost me as well as paying for customs inspections, roadworthiness inspections and import tax as it is considered a luxury brand, but does anyone have any ball park figures or advice on doing this?

Thanks in advance,

Glen.

Second hand cars hold their value much more here than in the UK, but to be honst they are normaly in better condition with very little rust etc.

I dont know anyone who has shipped their car but i think most of us have looked into it and decided it was too much money and hassle.

Have a read through the Transport section of the forum board as there are quite a few different threads discussing shipping vehicles.

Hope this helps a bit

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Guest OgaPoga

just bumping this up, as i am interested in answer too:0 We wanted to ship it, but seems to be very expensive.

Hi, we have a 1999 Mercedes AMG and paid 9k for it 3 years ago- its worth same over there and to replace in Oz would be a lot more. We have also spent a lot of money on it so cant bear selling it here for next to nothing. We are shipping ours in a 40ft container with furniture and cost about £2000 for the taxes etc. May need some modifications in Oz but according to a guy from Queensland who happens to work in our local Merc showroom ours should be ok.

We looked at it as in the price shipping it will be less than we stand to lose if we sell it here. There is lots of info about it on www.daffa.gov.au and www.customs.gov.au where there is a sheet you can calculate costs. Most people dont seem to ship their cars but my friend went 2 years ago and sold his Audi before he left and really regrets it now. I think it depends on type of car and if you can afford to ship it. Once in Oz it has to have an inspection bit like a MOT before it gets registered as well as any modifications it may need . Hope this helps. :)

Posted Vetassess paperwork 17/10/08. paper based assessment passed on 07/11/08, practical assessment passed on 16/02/09, 175 visa lodged on line 26/02/09, SS in WA online 23/03/09, SS approved 08/07/09, medicals and PCCs 10/08/09, visa granted 15/09/09 !!

Guest jayadams
Hi All,

Just wondering if any one has any advice on shipping a car to Australia to save buying one when there. I was not even considering this option, but it seems that there are not many good 2nd hand bargains to be found in Oz. I have a 2001 model BMW which I bought for £4k, for the same amount of money in Australia it seems I will have to drop down to a car manufactured in and around 1995.

I know that shipping will cost me as well as paying for customs inspections, roadworthiness inspections and import tax as it is considered a luxury brand, but does anyone have any ball park figures or advice on doing this?

Thanks in advance,

Glen.

ive looked into it and its only really worth it on new luxury cars where selling them here would incur bigger losses due to our second hand car market. i dont see how it would be worth while for a 4k bmw because how much longer will it last if it was newer and a higher end bmw then may be worth it. you may need to lower your standards in the short term and choose a smaller japaneese make. bmw audi ford and euorpean makes are more expensive in oz its on the other side of the world its basic economics. sorry i cant give you any figures as ive havent kept them. im selling my cars cutting losses and looking forward to getting an ausie car and enjoying lower fuel costs. for me it was the cost benfit and the fact you have to wait a long time for it to arrive anyway. if you have alot of house hold possessions this can of set the overall cost by getting your own container best of luck

i will be bring my mk1 golf gti convertable over to Melbourne this year.

I am putting aside about 5000 dollars to get it over here. defo worth it. i have had the car for 7 years back in the uk, she has been in storage for 2 years now so its time she sees the sun :)

second hand cars are very expensive out here. plus the older LOCAL cars out here arent put together very well!!!!

Velly

My Flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/27511104@N02/ Lots of photos from Oz

Guest itskaren
Hi All,

Thanks in advance,

Glen.

Hi, I have a friend who came from the Uk to Australia last year. She and her husband shipped their car over and they have both said it was the worst thing they could have done. By the time they paid for the transport and all of the other fees they were so much worse off. I know she is away for a month or two but I will try and get her to advise you. But I know generally it cost them a lot of money! Good Luck!

by the way, they were not allowed to put anything else in the car whatsoever whilst it was being shipped. So could not even put luggage in there apparrently!

by the way, they were not allowed to put anything else in the car whatsoever whilst it was being shipped. So could not even put luggage in there apparrently!

this is only if your doing a "roll on, roll off" if your are packing it in a container them you can fill the container.

its about 1000 pounds difference!

Velly

My Flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/27511104@N02/ Lots of photos from Oz