Jump to content
amyt

soooooo confused....help from other construction trades applicants

Recommended Posts

Well after soul searching we made the decision to go for it.. we instructed and agent, paid the first fee to our agent... were told that as my partner was applying as a carpenter we had excellent prospects of getting a visa as on the CSL... just a week after paying the second stage fee to get the info and forms for VETASSESS everything chnages... carpenters no longer on the CSL.... and it seems like we've gone from top to bottom on the priority scale..with no real indication of whether this will ever happen for us now.

We've been advised by our agent that we can still apply..but it means sitting and waiting... and whilst im not impatient im not convinced this is the case...

with the current economical climate we cant afford to throw a few more thousand pouns towards something that may never materialise....

it so disheartening...we just dont know what to do for the best...:arghh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we are in the same position, we have applied for visa though no longer on csl for bricklaying. have to wait now.

could you apply for 176? where are you planning to go?


Court process started Sept 06, Permission May 08 vetassess Oct 08 Pratical Feb 09, 175 csl, modl, online visa lodged 26.2.09 off CSL March WA SS 31/5/09 granted SS 3/10/09.8/4/10 med finalised CO 3/12/10 visa grant 6/12/10. Had baby 24/1/2011 added to visa. Arrived Perth 31/3/2011 ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Lyndhurst

we too applied for 175 as a carpenter in Oct but have just applied for SS for QLd and will move to a 176 when granted.

 

still apply by the time you have got through the vetassess you may be back on the CSL . we have been doing this for a year and a half now jus to be told we are off the list...

 

cheryl xx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Gollywobbler

Hi amyt

 

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

 

There is no reason for you to have to wait indefinitely. Carpenter is in demand in the following States:

 

Queensland

Western Australia

South Australia

Northern Territory

Tasmania

Australian Capital Territory

 

Only NSW and VIC are not looking for Carpenters as a matter of fact. The remaining six States/Territorities are offering to consider sponsoring Carpenters for immediate Permanent Residency visa the sc 176 visa.

 

Therefore what is the problem? Are you struggling to reach the 100 points required for the sc 176 visa? If not, why is your agent so pessimistic, please?

 

The link to all of the State/Territory migration authority websites is here:

 

State & Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

 

The sc 176 visa is here:

 

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)

 

The points test for it is here:

 

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)

 

Australian General Skilled Migration Booklet

 

Carpenter is here, by the way:

 

Carpenter 4411-13 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

 

If you live in the United Kingdom the skills authority will be Vetassess. Here is teh detailed description of Vetassess' requirements:

 

VETASSESS - Vocational Education Training and Assessment Services

 

Best wishes

 

Gill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Midlanders

Hi

 

My OH had his skills test last week (also a carpenter) and we are just waiting for the result now, so we can move on to the lodging stage. (agent has got most of the documentation needed again to support our application which we did whilst waiting for this stage to come around)

 

I totally understand how you are feeling with all the changes, but until a few months ago there wasnt a CSL list and now that most of the tradies have been taken off it, you just have to look at it like we were never on it to begin with and the visa process wouldnt of actually changed at all for the tradesmen.

 

Well .........thats how I'm looking at it at this moment in time, but I do agree who knows what will take place when they do the yearly modl reviews again in a few months time and also the factor of all the cost involved so far.

 

But what do we do.... give up or carry on because we dont know what will happen??????? If they needed the trades before the world wide recession took hold, they will need them again once its over, plus you need to think that you have 5 years to migrate once you validated, so things can only get better

 

I dont want to give up until we have too and we are told we are no longer needed.......

 

This recession has got to end sooner or later and in the meantime our visa application will be moving up the queue ( may be slower now than before) but someday or other, its got to get to the top of the pile, plus in that time we have more time to save for your move and the new life down under.

 

.

 

 

Best wishes to you all

 

Judy

 

 

Judy & Darren

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

I think the reality of the (and I hate this phrase) "credit crunch" has hit Austriala recently like it did in the UK six months ago, and they have had a knee jerk reaction, by coming out with a csl, cutting the csl, ss prioity...BLAH...BLAH...We to aplied for 175 in AUG 08 were on csl as solid plasterer have front loaded meds pc have spent thousands on a holiday to QLD and aplication fees plus all the emotions that go with leaving everything you know, so I'm thinking it will happen.

Lets just wait for the dust to settle, see what their budget brings.

Good Luck? we'll be OK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi I think you have to weigh up all your options and decide what is best for your circumstances. My OH is a carpenter and we applied for 175 visa in Feb 09, then we were taken off the CSL list. At first we decided to wait till our 175 got processed as we cant go till next year anyway due to saving up etc. Then we were concerned if DIAC just keep processing sponsored visas and CSL list visas we might be waiting a lot longer ( but nothing is set, anything can change ). However as we want to go to Perth West Aus ( our friends live there ) we have applied for sponsorship and if sucessful will switch to a 176 visa- if unsuccessful we will continue to wait for our 175 visa !

 

Everyone has different circumstances and anything can change so you need to have a think about if you want to go somewhere in particular or want to travel about till you settle somewhere. A state sponsor visa means they like you to live in that state for 2 years then you are free to go wherever.

Good luck x


Posted Vetassess paperwork 17/10/08. paper based assessment passed on 07/11/08, practical assessment passed on 16/02/09, 175 visa lodged on line 26/02/09, SS in WA online 23/03/09, SS approved 08/07/09, medicals and PCCs 10/08/09, visa granted 15/09/09 !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all your views and advice..it helps to know that we are not alone in our frustrations.....

 

The reason we were limited to a 175 was becuase we only want to go to sydney... we both have friends there and I have a close friend with her husband and a child around the age of our daughter... we really dont want to go anywhere else as we worry about settling in etc especially if i cant work until my daughter settled in school.. for us going and knowing people was a big factor..

 

i have been advised that sydney not offering state sponsorship so we'd have to go elsewhere....

 

We werent in a huge huury as we too needed to save... had initially hoped when we started begiinnning of the year that we could go by next september 2010....

 

For us we just scared of spending our last pennies and putting our entire life on hold for the next four years waiting for somethong that will never be.... if we had a glimmer of hope then we'd plough on...

 

I wish we had a crystal ball...!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it is hard to keep ploughing on and not knowing ! Some days I feel ok about it all then ( like today) I feel fed up and frustrated not knowing what is going on. I think try and stay positive !! The 175 visas will get processed at some point- the recession wont go on forever and when over Oz will need migrants more than ever to boost economy. At least if you apply for 175 you will be in the queue ready and things may change after 1st July ( fingers crossed)


Posted Vetassess paperwork 17/10/08. paper based assessment passed on 07/11/08, practical assessment passed on 16/02/09, 175 visa lodged on line 26/02/09, SS in WA online 23/03/09, SS approved 08/07/09, medicals and PCCs 10/08/09, visa granted 15/09/09 !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest JK2510

Hi

 

We are in the same situation as you, my OH is an air con engineer on MODL but now taken off the CSL.

 

We had just paid our DIAC payment along with our visa lodgement on march 3rd 2009 and hoping to make the move sept 2010. Now its a case of the waiting game!

 

We are so down and disheartened about the whole thing it the not knowing thats the worse.

 

We dont wanna go down the 176 route as were not in a financial situation to move sooner.

 

It seems like our life is on hold as were saving and planning for our future but have no true hold on the timescale of things.

 

Sorry about my waffling!

 

 

Jodie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest OgaPoga

I know how frustrated you must be. Seems that every few month they change requirements. We wanted to go to Queensland (we have few friends living there) and agent estimated, that we could get visa in 6-9 month, but in January 09, DIAC announced some changes and from the top of the list we “felt” to the bottom. We contacted our agent regarding the timelines being in Priority 5 I believe…he just said, “I have no idea regarding timelines or when now you could be getting your visa, but realistically 2 years or maybe more”. Then Gollywobbler advised us to apply for State Sponsorship, but only state willing to Sponsor us (skill was on the list) was Victoria. Well, Victoria was not our Nr 1 choice – more like number 2. We only had few days to submit our application as Victoria was changing the State Sponsorship list. 4 days we did very careful research…submitted State Sponsorship…got it, changed our visa to 176 and now we already have a CO.

Over the past few month we have been researching even more abut Victoria and now, I am so happy we are going there. We just felt in love with that state and we are now confident that it is absolutely right place for us. If you would ask me few month ago – I would not believe myself, I would say that.

So, maybe do a bit of research about other states. Also – if your trade is on the State Sponsorship list, it hopefully means they have a demand for people like you. However, if you are not in a rush and are ready to wait few years – well, then probably 175 is the way to go. But again, none knows when they will process any other applications apart from SS and CSL. And taking into account current economic situation – maybe our agent were right 2+ years.

But hey, I hope that you will make the right choice for you and family and will be living in Oz soon!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest mustang

Hi guys,

Sorry to say this but getting here on a trade visa is the easy bit, trust me. The real hard work starts when you get here and find you cant work anyway because of all the licence issues you then face. Also its got very bad here anyway in construction, my advice get here however you can ,but have an open mind on the work front. You may need to start a new career, sounds daft but it might be for the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest jayadams
Well after soul searching we made the decision to go for it.. we instructed and agent, paid the first fee to our agent... were told that as my partner was applying as a carpenter we had excellent prospects of getting a visa as on the CSL... just a week after paying the second stage fee to get the info and forms for VETASSESS everything chnages... carpenters no longer on the CSL.... and it seems like we've gone from top to bottom on the priority scale..with no real indication of whether this will ever happen for us now.

We've been advised by our agent that we can still apply..but it means sitting and waiting... and whilst im not impatient im not convinced this is the case...

with the current economical climate we cant afford to throw a few more thousand pouns towards something that may never materialise....

it so disheartening...we just dont know what to do for the best...:arghh:

 

hi as everyone else is saying dont panic all you need to do is find state sponsorship and go under 176 if your agent is any good they should have already advised you of this. while the visa changes are in place the benifit of 175 is not there anymore, everyone has been caught out by this. If you know where you want to settle i would apply for state sponsorship asap as the demand has gone through the roof. waiting times have gone from 3 weeks to 10 12 weeks and the states may up date their lists and remove professions soon (this is just a hunch). best of luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×