Advertising Hire a Brit

Guest London Girl

Guest London Girl

Hi,

Just wanted to let people know that a friend of mine got in trouble for advertising for British workers on his web site. There are really tough anti discrimination laws in Australia and unfortunately we are not allowed to advertise for a specific race of people. I know it sounds stupid but it is the law so if anyone is advertising in this way on their web site please please check the wording as it could end up legal.

sounds like a perfectly reasonable anti racism law, we have pretty much the same thing here in the UK and its a good thing, you cant advertise for specific race, gender or age and cant be seen to discriminate against race, gender or age when selecting.

sounds like a perfectly reasonable anti racism law, we have pretty much the same thing here in the UK and its a good thing, you cant advertise for specific race, gender or age and cant be seen to discriminate against race, gender or age when selecting.

it happens a lot though in both countries, I think "can't be seen to discriminate" sums it up.

Doesn't sound stupid at all. Where have you been for the last 20 years? I saw an ad once for a swimming pool changing room attendant who had to be female. The blurb under the ad about how this was not in contravention of sex discrimination laws was bigger then the ad itself.

Guest London Girl
Doesn't sound stupid at all. Where have you been for the last 20 years? I saw an ad once for a swimming pool changing room attendant who had to be female. The blurb under the ad about how this was not in contravention of sex discrimination laws was bigger then the ad itself.

I have been alive and well for the last 20 years thanks. Probably the wrong word to use.

The reason that I brought it up is because I saw a banner come up that said something like hire a brit on this site, I cant find it now but that is the only reason I brought it up.

I have been alive and well for the last 20 years thanks. Probably the wrong word to use.

The reason that I brought it up is because I saw a banner come up that said something like hire a brit on this site, I cant find it now but that is the only reason I brought it up.

Your right London Girl, there was a banner/advertising on here as I see it too, and went to look for it the other day as having trouble finding work here in Australia, and Yes your right it gone now - Thats what made me read your thread

Guest London Girl

Your right London Girl, there was a banner/advertising on here as I see it too, and went to look for it the other day as having trouble finding work here in Australia, and Yes your right it gone now - Thats what made me read your thread

As long as they have checked the legals on it, I think it is a good idea but whether it is legal or not I do not know and would check it out that's all I wanted to point out.

As long as they have checked the legals on it, I think it is a good idea but whether it is legal or not I do not know and would check it out that's all I wanted to point out.

Hey dont worry I knew what you meant and where you were coming from as I too see the advert to I think it said 'hire a migrant' though.

Guest proud2beaussie

If you read through the case law of decisions from employment tribunals both here in Australia and overseas you will find literally thousands of cases where an employer has been penalised for discriminating in employment advertisments.

It is simply not done to advertise on any basis other than the persons suitability and experience in the position ,there are some circumstances where it is permitted though,generally they are when a position is advertised by a government authority like ATSIC who would be allowed to advertise for ,say, an Aboriginal Liason Officer or similar,they would be allowed to positively discriminate in favour of an indigenous person without breaching the act.

Guest pongia

There would be ways around it. With phone interview to hear the accent and resumes to sort out which ones are brits.

Guest guest17520
Hi,

Just wanted to let people know that a friend of mine got in trouble for advertising for British workers on his web site. There are really tough anti discrimination laws in Australia and unfortunately we are not allowed to advertise for a specific race of people. I know it sounds stupid but it is the law so if anyone is advertising in this way on their web site please please check the wording as it could end up legal.

Why would you want to hire only British people anyway?

Guest acbh2
Hi,

Not strictly true......Employers are allowed to specify that people be indigenous or must have indigenous references for specific types of jobs. It really pisses me off as there have been so many jobs I am perfectly well qualified for but can't apply for because I am not indiginous!!! If you can specify a person be indigenous then if someone wants to specify a pom I see no difference!!

Don't agree with it but hey they can't have it all ways.

Ax

Guest oggie1

A mate of mine was in London two weeks ago and he commented on the amount of Polish working on the Olympic stadia(Run by Aussies I believe).Tonight on the ITV News it was reported that the Olympic building schedule was four months AHEAD.

Wembley Stadium was British everything and twelve months behind.Immigrants want to work harder in the country they wish to settle in I reckon.

Chris.

Guest The Pom Queen

Personally I would get annoyed if I lived in the UK and so job adverts for Australian's only, so I can understand why it does offend some people. Although a lot of Ozzies I have spoken with prefer to hire Brits because they say they work harder.

See a job advertised and working for the government too, thought it sounded really good as the government are bound to look after you !!! Well it said you could only apply and gave a list of requirements, one of them being between the ages of 18 -40:cry:

Sorry a little of topic I know

Guest NikiOH

For some reason my posts have disappeared!! Where have they gone and for what reason?? Do we now have to run all of our posts through a moderator to make sure they agree with them first before we can make our points of view????????

Guest JoanneHattersley

Site admin tim removed your posts. If you have any query regarding that please PM him and I know he will be happy to explain.

Guest brooksey

The site is hire a pom and i'm the only chippy on it so give it a go, i need the work lol.

Ps cal, thanks for your help , i,m still waiting on a reply as the gaffa is away but i can't thank you enough.

Guest snow white

if its my site your meaning ? im quite happy to sit here and say im looking after my own hire a pom!

if you cant look after your own who can you look after lol the whole point of the site is so poms can advertise themselves for hire and expats poms or otherwise on the gold coast can choose to hire them for work or not their choice but ast least its somewhere they only can advertise themselves for hire. i know how hard weve had it for the last 19 months looking for work gaining licenses for my oh whos been a qualified gasfitter for 15 years so if i can help anyone else like him its all worth it !

lesley x

Archived