SUMMARY: Spouse Visa Processing times OFFSHORE-UK. Please add your Stats.

Guest sr1992

2 hours ago, Cegor said:

hi everyone,

Fairly new here. Just a couple of questions but first a bit of history.

Husband=Australian/Canadian. Wife (me)=Canadian. Married 15+ yrs. Both live and work in Canada. No children.

DOL=Nov 7, 2017 (few days ago). offshore Visa 309. online application. no agent used.

just a couple of questions:

1) what is the grace period one gets to get the visa activated from the grant date? I have read a few here give a time frame of under 3 months. We plan on just flying to Australia (Brisbane) once the visa is granted just to go activate it. I'm just curious on the time frame.

2) once one has the visa activated how long would I roughly have to move there permanently? I am trying to plan ahead. Hubby will be quitting his job and moving to Australia ahead of me while I sort out the sale of the house and the move......

I just want to have a rough idea.

cheers

The time in which to validate/make first entry into Australia is usually tied to the date you undertook your medical or police check, whichever was done first. They are valid for a year from date done/undertaken. So if you've front loaded those already and your visa takes say 9 months to come through, you'd have about 3 months left on those validity wise to make first entry. They usually give you a date to enter Aus by on the grant IIRC, so you should know the window in which you have to validate. 

If you are waiting till your CO requests them, you will have longer left to run. Its generally advised to wait till asked to ensure you have that time left on them. The CO will ask for them at the appropriate time in the processing. 

Re the move, the visa is valid for 5 years IIRC (can't recall if its from date of issue or something else but its still plenty of time to make the move after validating). You should see the info on your visa grant notice when it comes through. If your husband is making the move soon after its granted for you and you are just tying up the loose ends and will be out there not long after, I think you'll be fine.

5 minutes ago, snifter said:

The time in which to validate/make first entry into Australia is usually tied to the date you undertook your medical or police check, whichever was done first. They are valid for a year from date done/undertaken. So if you've front loaded those already and your visa takes say 9 months to come through, you'd have about 3 months left on those validity wise to make first entry. They usually give you a date to enter Aus by on the grant IIRC, so you should know the window in which you have to validate. 

If you are waiting till your CO requests them, you will have longer left to run. Its generally advised to wait till asked to ensure you have that time left on them. The CO will ask for them at the appropriate time in the processing. 

Re the move, the visa is valid for 5 years IIRC (can't recall if its from date of issue or something else but its still plenty of time to make the move after validating). You should see the info on your visa grant notice when it comes through. If your husband is making the move soon after its granted for you and you are just tying up the loose ends and will be out there not long after, I think you'll be fine.

Snifter, thank you so much for answering. We did not submit (front loaded) anything. I read people saying it is best to wait until the CO requests them. Now as far as the interview goes....I'm no where near Ottawa (the default place on the offshore application)....do I have to travel to Ottawa or do they do phone interviews? I've seen others miss calls on the interviews. Are the interviews for high risk countries only? just a thought

18 minutes ago, Cegor said:

Snifter, thank you so much for answering. We did not submit (front loaded) anything. I read people saying it is best to wait until the CO requests them. Now as far as the interview goes....I'm no where near Ottawa (the default place on the offshore application)....do I have to travel to Ottawa or do they do phone interviews? I've seen others miss calls on the interviews. Are the interviews for high risk countries only? just a thought

I'm not aware interviews are standard unless from high risk countries. 

I'm sure that people from low risk countries may be interviewed but its not the norm that I am aware of. I'd not overthink it, if asked you can plan for it then as needed I am sure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 26/10/2017 at 04:33, LaddermanUS said:

YEEEESSS  !!   Ive just received my temp and permanent visa for me and my two children :):)   very very very happy.

I had to get to leave to remove my children through the Courts, that was granted in Feb 2016.  Applied for our visa's same month.  Then had to have the UK court order registered in Australia which took best part of 7 months. We had to re=apply for police checks a week ago and hit submit yesterday only to be granted today, straight to permanent ! 

Delighted to say the least.  Its been a very very long road which started 2 years ago with an application to the UK court for permission to remove my children permanently.

Well done!!!  I've not been on here for a while but remember you talking about courts and the like. I'm sure you're well chuffed!!!!! 

On 06/09/2017 at 18:46, Katiebobbles said:

It isn't if we would get one its how much extra and what extra we will have to submit to qualify. I am referring to the new "sponsorship requirement" we would have to complete before being able to lodge the 309/100.
I am more concerned about how much they may charge for this new hoop.... hence why we are trying to apply before it comes in. It was deferred from this July but i fear it may come in with the January rounds so i am just trying to understand my options.

Sent from my SM-A310F using PomsinOz mobile app

Hey,

What is this new sponsorship requirement you reference?

Looking to apply in the next couple of months.

Thanks

Hey,
What is this new sponsorship requirement you reference?
Looking to apply in the next couple of months.
Thanks

Hey
This is what i saw
https://www.fastvisagroup.com/blog/applying-for-an-australian-partner-visa-in-2017-dont-delay
This was delayed last year... but may come in this July. That is why i was trying to get to the bottom of if anyone knew if it was coming or not this year.... we will be applying before July to be sure. I guess we will know at the 11th hour!
Best of luck with your application... let us know your stats when you apply
Kx

1 hour ago, Katiebobbles said:

Hey
This is what i saw
https://www.fastvisagroup.com/blog/applying-for-an-australian-partner-visa-in-2017-dont-delay
This was delayed last year... but may come in this July. That is why i was trying to get to the bottom of if anyone knew if it was coming or not this year.... we will be applying before July to be sure. I guess we will know at the 11th hour!
Best of luck with your application... let us know your stats when you apply
Kx

Thanks for that. The article references onshore whilst in Australia but I’m doing whilst I’m UK, probably ready to submit latest April 2018, so I should be ok?

Thanks.
just so I understand the implications - it means the sponsor (so my partner) will need to go through police checks (if requested), which may take 3+ weeks?
thanks again

From what i found and it was pretty sparse ... your partner would need a pre-sponsor check to be done before you can even submit your application. It would be more than a police check but they havent given full details.
It shouldnt take more than a month but will have a cost associated.
If u are applying before June it will just be the normal partner check as part of the application which should just be police checks??
I will see if i can find the youtube which explained the changes for u

Thanks.
just so I understand the implications - it means the sponsor (so my partner) will need to go through police checks (if requested), which may take 3+ weeks?
thanks again

This you tube shows what they were talking about bringing in last July but didnt

The assumption j am working to is it will happen this year. It explains the 2 step application.
Hope this helps
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Im sure this has been asked but cant find in the search.
Once we submit our application and dont front load. A co is assigned then medicals and police checks are requested.
How long after these are requested do you have to upload. I am just concerned that if we go travelling in the summer for 3-4 weeks and you only have a month from request we may miss it. Trying to ensure that doesnt happen.
Thanks in advance

10 minutes ago, Katiebobbles said:

Im sure this has been asked but cant find in the search.
Once we submit our application and dont front load. A co is assigned then medicals and police checks are requested.
How long after these are requested do you have to upload. I am just concerned that if we go travelling in the summer for 3-4 weeks and you only have a month from request we may miss it. Trying to ensure that doesnt happen.
Thanks in advance

Hi Katiebobbles -  We received the request for our medicals and partner's police cert whilst on holiday over Easter in April last year, the 11th to be precise.  The letter stated we had to 'respond' within 28 days of the date on the letter.  We queried this with our CO, who was lovely, competent and quick and she said it basically meant we had to have them booked within 28 days.  We got the ball rolling with the police check the week we returned and had the meds done on the 25th May.  It took a couple of hours and they upload everything.  This was the longest wait, seemed never ending after reading many people had had them uploaded almost instantly, or within the week then - BING!!  :D 

You have no control over the police cert as they'll do it in their own time.  We had a few issues with my partner's photo but they were really good and helpful and it still only took a couple of weeks from beginning to end.  We scanned and uploaded the day it came through the post.

We had our grant approved for my son and partner on the 14th June, 2 days after my partner's birthday and 20 days after the medicals  :-)

I believe, from other posts, they usually give you a nudge if you haven't notified them with your med date and police app.  My advice would be to email your CO with your holiday dates, stating that you will complete upon your return.  That way they're kept in the picture and you shouldn't have to worry about missing it.

Good luck and enjoy your hols!!!

Hi Katiebobbles -  We received the request for our medicals and partner's police cert whilst on holiday over Easter in April last year, the 11th to be precise.  The letter stated we had to 'respond' within 28 days of the date on the letter.  We queried this with our CO, who was lovely, competent and quick and she said it basically meant we had to have them booked within 28 days.  We got the ball rolling with the police check the week we returned and had the meds done on the 25th May.  It took a couple of hours and they upload everything.  This was the longest wait, seemed never ending after reading many people had had them uploaded almost instantly, or within the week then - BING!!  [emoji3] 
You have no control over the police cert as they'll do it in their own time.  We had a few issues with my partner's photo but they were really good and helpful and it still only took a couple of weeks from beginning to end.  We scanned and uploaded the day it came through the post.
We had our grant approved for my son and partner on the 14th June, 2 days after my partner's birthday and 20 days after the medicals  :-)
I believe, from other posts, they usually give you a nudge if you haven't notified them with your med date and police app.  My advice would be to email your CO with your holiday dates, stating that you will complete upon your return.  That way they're kept in the picture and you shouldn't have to worry about missing it.
Thanks so much that is super helpful.

Hi all,

I’m just in the process of looking at all the documents I need to collect for my application. Looking to start the process very soon.

However, I have a drink driving conviction (from when I was 18, I’m now nearly 31 and haven’t been in any trouble since).

The problem is, I don’t know exactly what the conviction was. Like was it technically a conviction? If so, how long was it for? (I appeared in local court and was given a small fine and banned from driving at the time).

Because I don’t know the specifics, I kind of want to get my police check done before I put in my application, to give myself knowledge of what exactly I have against my record! Because Form 80 about character assessment asks you about convictions and I don’t want to give the wrong answer.

However, all the advice in a normal situation is that you should wait until asked for a police check.

Can someone please help?

On 18/01/2018 at 02:19, Katiebobbles said:
On 17/01/2018 at 22:34, Dis said:
Hi Katiebobbles -  We received the request for our medicals and partner's police cert whilst on holiday over Easter in April last year, the 11th to be precise.  The letter stated we had to 'respond' within 28 days of the date on the letter.  We queried this with our CO, who was lovely, competent and quick and she said it basically meant we had to have them booked within 28 days.  We got the ball rolling with the police check the week we returned and had the meds done on the 25th May.  It took a couple of hours and they upload everything.  This was the longest wait, seemed never ending after reading many people had had them uploaded almost instantly, or within the week then - BING!!  emoji3.png 

Thanks so much that is super helpful.

You're very welcome - glad it was helpful.  :-)

6 hours ago, oliver27 said:

Hi all,

I’m just in the process of looking at all the documents I need to collect for my application. Looking to start the process very soon.

However, I have a drink driving conviction (from when I was 18, I’m now nearly 31 and haven’t been in any trouble since).

The problem is, I don’t know exactly what the conviction was. Like was it technically a conviction? If so, how long was it for? (I appeared in local court and was given a small fine and banned from driving at the time).

Because I don’t know the specifics, I kind of want to get my police check done before I put in my application, to give myself knowledge of what exactly I have against my record! Because Form 80 about character assessment asks you about convictions and I don’t want to give the wrong answer.

However, all the advice in a normal situation is that you should wait until asked for a police check.

Can someone please help?

I would guess you can apply for a police check ahead of lodging and see what shows up. Keep in mind though if you use that certificate for your application you may well need to provide another one later on as they are only valid for a year. Usually people are asked to wait till a CO requests medical and police check and they are undertaken later in the process as visa applications can run to 14 months or so to approve. 

Have you visited Australia already? And if so, did you ever declare it then on arrival? 

7 hours ago, oliver27 said:

Hi all,

Can someone please help?

Hello oliver27,

Don't know if it's of any use to you but have a read of the link below:

http://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/motoring-convictions-and-the-rehabilitation-of-offenders-act/

I believe your conviction is spent but you DO still have to declare it on form 80, regardless.  I wouldn't think you have to worry too much as it it is a past offence and you've not been in any bother since.  Just be honest and explain in the relevant box.

If you go for a full police check, you may fall outside of the year time limit and have to have another, obviously paying again.  You can, however, request a copy of your records for £10, saving you £35:

https://www.gov.uk/copy-of-police-records

Hope this helps and good luck with the form filling etc.  :-)

Edited by Dis
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, oliver27 said:

Hi all,

Can someone please help?

Hi I declared my caution even tho it was ten years ago and I'd never been in trouble before or since , I just thought it best to be honest ( tho I never went to court or anything like that, and it never occurred to me to declare it when applying for my holiday visas as until I started all the court proceedings for my children I'd forgotten about it, but it did show up on that but on my police certificate it simply shows 'no live trace', I have just explained the situation in the areas needed) 

maybe yours will show the same as mine with it being such a long time ago

?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the responses all.

I have been to Australia and didn’t declare on my tourist visa as it wasn’t classed as significant or whatever the terminology is, as a drink driving conviction maximum sentence is not more than 12 months. I looked into this quite a bit, as I didn’t want to get it wrong on that one either. However, did declare on my landing card as they just asked about convictions in general, no stipulation of ‘significant’. So a border officer had a chat with me for about 2mins and basically thanked me for being so honest, but it wasn’t a problem at all when I said what it was, how long ago it was, and that I hadn’t been in any trouble since. Very quick chat, didn’t get pulled into a room or anything.

I think then that I should just declare it on my character statement, without going into the specifics (which I don’t actually know, and would be detailed in the police check I assume), and just wait for them to request the police check like they normally do later in the process.

I’m just eager not to delay the process. My case is pretty straight forward apart from that (known partner for 4.5 years, official relationship for 4 years, living together for 3.5 years, and easy proof of living together mainly coming from both our names on the lease, amongst other things like travel together etc., and no time apart). Just don’t want this one thing with my DUI to delay things. Looking to hopefully submit application in Feb and be out there in late Nov / early Dec.

5 hours ago, oliver27 said:

Thanks for the responses all.

I have been to Australia and didn’t declare on my tourist visa as it wasn’t classed as significant or whatever the terminology is, as a drink driving conviction maximum sentence is not more than 12 months. I looked into this quite a bit, as I didn’t want to get it wrong on that one either. However, did declare on my landing card as they just asked about convictions in general, no stipulation of ‘significant’. So a border officer had a chat with me for about 2mins and basically thanked me for being so honest, but it wasn’t a problem at all when I said what it was, how long ago it was, and that I hadn’t been in any trouble since. Very quick chat, didn’t get pulled into a room or anything.

I think then that I should just declare it on my character statement, without going into the specifics (which I don’t actually know, and would be detailed in the police check I assume), and just wait for them to request the police check like they normally do later in the process.

I’m just eager not to delay the process. My case is pretty straight forward apart from that (known partner for 4.5 years, official relationship for 4 years, living together for 3.5 years, and easy proof of living together mainly coming from both our names on the lease, amongst other things like travel together etc., and no time apart). Just don’t want this one thing with my DUI to delay things. Looking to hopefully submit application in Feb and be out there in late Nov / early Dec.

Just go for it ?? If they want any extra info I'm sure they will ask for it , good luck with it all , the waiting is the hardest part for me x

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Long-tme lurker on these forums and have found them a great help.

My timeline for application;

Applied - 28/06/2017 pre-loaded with medicals and police check

Due to problems with the medical this was not cleared until 27/12/2017

Request for new UK and AFP police certs 12/01/2018

Submitted them 0900 22/01/2018

visa grant 1007 22/01/2018