SUMMARY: Spouse Visa Processing times OFFSHORE-UK. Please add your Stats.

Guest sr1992

Have you attached all the documents on the checklist?

You may not hear anything for months, until they request your police check and medical.

Are your shipping company willing to ship without proof of a valid visa?

Hi I think I have the relevant documents covered both birth certificates, both passports, both uk driving licences, marriage certificates, our childrens uk birth certs, joint bank account and joint mortgage statement.

Is the jist of it.

Does my wife need both a UK police check and an Australian one?

Thanks

Jonathan

Hi I think I have the relevant documents covered both birth certificates, both passports, both uk driving licences, marriage certificates, our childrens uk birth certs, joint bank account and joint mortgage statement.

Is the jist of it.

Does my wife need both a UK police check and an Australian one?

Thanks

Jonathan

IIRC its only the applicant needs the police check.

I thought I seen a police check under the list of documents to prove good character on the sponsors application?

If thats what the checklist says. I don't recall my husbamd submitting one as my sponsor. Our son was not included on the application as held Aus passport. Perhaps things.have chamged since then. Read the booklet and checklist over and follow that.

Must be just if the children are not Australian then. I know some sponsors have been asked to produce ozzie police checks.

That is probably the case.

The children are dual citizens, UK passports and Australian citizenship documents, they both previously had Australian passports.

Just remember they are going to need Aus passports to enter Australia when you migrate. You probably know this but just thought I'd mention it in case.

The children are dual citizens, UK passports and Australian citizenship documents, they both previously had Australian passports.

@Jonleahy

I went and read the partner visa booklet. As I said, my husband as a sponsor never undertook a police check and our son was not listed as a migrating dependant as he already held Aus citizenship. I applied after 27 March 2010. Here is what it says, pg 17 in the PDF in case you've not found it. https://www.border.gov.au/FormsAndDocuments/Documents/1127.pdf

Protection of children

The Australian Government considers that the safety of children is paramount and this is reflected in policies about the sponsorship of minors for visas to enter Australia. The government wants to ensure that children seeking to enter Australia under partner and child category visas are protected from being sponsored by people with convictions for child sex offences or other serious offences indicating that they may pose a significant risk to a child in their care.

As of 27 March 2010, a sponsorship limitation has existed in the Migration Regulations which prevents a sponsorship from being approved if one of the proposed applicants is under 18 and the Minister is satisfied that the sponsor has a conviction or outstanding charge for a registrable offence. Sponsors of partner or prospective marriage visa applications lodged on or after 27 March 2010 which include an applicant aged under 18 years, are required to provide an Australian Federal Police (AFP) National PoliceCheck and/or foreign police certificate(s) as part of the process of assessing the application.

The results of the police certificate(s) are used by the department to assess the sponsorship application and whether or not the visa application satisfies public interest criteria relating to the best interests of the children.A sponsorship that would otherwise be refused under this limitation may be approved at the discretion of the Minister or their delegate if 5 years have passed since completion of the sentence for the last relevant offence and there are compelling circumstances affecting the sponsor or the visa applicant. In addition to the AFP National Police Check or other police certificate(s), sponsors must disclose to the department any information relating to any conviction for child sex offences they have had or any charges currently awaiting legal action. It is also important that migration applicants, and any non-migrating person who can lawfully determine where a migrating minor child is to live, are informed when the sponsor has such convictions or outstanding charges.

When the department is aware of any convictions or charges of this nature, through either:• the AFP National Police Check or other police certificate(s) provided;• the answers you provide on form 40SP Sponsorship for a partner to migrate to Australia or on form 918 Application for a subclass 445 (temporary) visa by a dependent child; or• liaison with relevant Commonwealth, state and territory agencies;it may inform the migration applicant, and any non-migrating person who can lawfully determine where the applicant’s migrating minor child may live, about the convictions or charges. Signing the sponsorship undertaking will be taken as your acknowledgement of this approach.

I also read the checklist and suggest you go back over it too to ensure you understand it fully and are not just taking our word for it. You are the applicant, the police check needed is for you. You are not including the children as migrating dependants on the application as they hold Aus citizenship already you said. https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/309-/Partner-(Provisional)-visa-(subclass-309)-and-Partner-(Migrant)-visa-(subclass-100)-document-checklist

Edited by Guest
eta

It means your first entry (validation) must be before January 13th 2017.

On VEVO, it says my visa status is "in effect" - does that mean it's been activated and I don't need to make another entry before 27th January?

I've been to Australia several times already, and my visa was granted literally as I was heading through security at Brisbane airport...

Just remember they are going to need Aus passports to enter Australia when you migrate. You probably know this but just thought I'd mention it in case.

Hi the kids and wife are already in Adelaide The kids traveled on UK passports. The only issue they had was when checking in at Heathrow the airline had to phone to get a Government clearance.

Yes I will check all again tomorrow but it looks like it will be best and required to get both checks done on my wife.

Thanks

So they are listed as migrating dependants? They don't hold Aus citizenship or passports? Its much easier and far less hassle if they are able to claim Aus citizenshipnfor it to be sorted. Are they able to register for school on UK passports with no PR visa granted yet. We had to provide proof of Aus right of abode/citizenship or the visa info and when it was granted. Aus citizen by descent so was really easy.

Eta - I changed.my post as missed the UK passport part.

Edited by Guest
changed

Ok I read back through a few of your posts. Its confusing as you've gone about things in a unusual way re UK passports but Aus citizens etc. And that your kids are already in Aus.

If they are not migrating dependants then they are not on the application and its only the applicant who needs a police check afaik. Your kids are Aus citizens already who have held Aus passports and already residing in Aus so not sure how they could go on the application as migrating dependants.

Edited by Guest
typo

Ok I read back through a few of your posts. Its confusing as you've gone about things in a unusual way re UK passports but Aus citizens etc. And that your kids are already in Aus.

If they are not migrating dependants then they are not on the application and its only the applicant who needs a police check afaik. Your kids are Aus citizens already who have held Aus passports and already residing in Aus so not sure how they could go on the application as migrating dependants.

Hi sorry don't mean to cause confusion, I have enough for all of us.

Yes we went about things a wee bit unusually, but my wife wanted to get home, and wanted to get kids registered into a school before the end of the school year. The kids are not part of the application other than adding proof to a meaningful and lasting relationship. The reason the kids have a UK passport is another story, but in short it was cheaper and quicker (without a trip to Dublin or London) to get them UK passports. My wife and kids only went to Adelaide just over a week ago. Yes we got them registered in a school and we will have to apply for Australian passports for them. They were registered as Australian citizens from birth.

Hi sorry don't mean to cause confusion, I have enough for all of us.

Yes we went about things a wee bit unusually, but my wife wanted to get home, and wanted to get kids registered into a school before the end of the school year. The kids are not part of the application other than adding proof to a meaningful and lasting relationship. The reason the kids have a UK passport is another story, but in short it was cheaper and quicker (without a trip to Dublin or London) to get them UK passports. My wife and kids only went to Adelaide just over a week ago. Yes we got them registered in a school and we will have to apply for Australian passports for them. They were registered as Australian citizens from birth.

That all makes sense :)

I'm pretty sure then that there is not going to be a police check required for your wife then :) It is only when they are listed on the application as migrating dependants as I understand it.

Good luck with it all. Glad the kids were able to travel and enter Aus on UK passports being Aus citizens. Its not usually done (and anyone else reading this, I'd not recommend doing it this way :cute: ) and it can cause problems for flying and entering Aus etc.

We are in Adelaide also :) Very happy here and coming up 3 years this month here.

We have applied for my husbands partner visa he was the only one that was required to do a police check and medical. I am Australian and my daughters are now Australian citizens by decent and have passports, they are not included in the visa. Have you made sure you have got a witness statemen and uploaded it? That was one of the documents i forgot and it delayed us a little.

Just a general update on my 309/100 application:

First applied: June 2015

Paid: June 2015

Medical: November 2015

Police Checks: October 2015

Granted: February 2016

Migrated: August 2016

We pretty much did all of the application over a long weekend in June 2015, including getting document copies signed by police/teachers, getting personal statements, adding photos etc. My partner (the sponsor and Aus citizen) got one phone call asking a few questions, less than a ten minute call. I received no calls or emails, except those recommending that medicals and police checks could now be carried out.

Just for reference, i'm a British national from birth.

All in all a pretty smooth experience for us. They quoted 10-14 months, and it came through in 9.

Dan