SUMMARY: Spouse Visa Processing times OFFSHORE-UK. Please add your Stats.

Guest sr1992

But we haven't been assigned a case officer as yet. Thought you couldn't have a medical until after CO assigned, also UK Police Check. You are lucky

You can do both before hand but as they are only valid for a year its generally advised to wait till asked to undertake them by a CO. Doing them early doesnt help speed things up or anything either.

hi there,

i applied for the partner visa 309/100 about a month ago. i was trying to track the application but couldn't do that.

i put the details into immi account but it doesn't show me anything but just an error. can anybody help?

I know how frustrating it is & it's nice when u finally get a co but the name of the game is patience ;) easy for me to now lol when I first knew the time scale I was like omg no :/ but set my sights on the 12 month mark & hoped it wouldn't be longer than that. Came dead on 10 months & I was over the moon with that... It is hard when u see others get their granted early & maybe a feeling of not fair but really all u can do is say good luck to them...hang in there everyone one, the time really does go so fast :) Wishing u all the best of luck :)

Edited by Jen44

Thats great news, nice to see things are moving!!

so just short of 3 months for us both to have CO assigned.............

Yahoo, we now have a Case Officer (WP) - just received an email advising to get a Medical & Police Check with 21 days. So happy to see something happening!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats great news, nice to see things are moving!!

so just short of 3 months for us both to have CO assigned.............

Yes, just over 10 weeks! Anyone know how long normally it takes for Doctors to upload the medical? As our letter from the CO asking for it within 21 days so I'm guessing it needs to be actually done within 2 weeks to allow a week for uploading?

Yeah, it took about a week for the medicals to be uploaded, and Just over a week for the Police Checks to come back!

Yes, just over 10 weeks! Anyone know how long normally it takes for Doctors to upload the medical? As our letter from the CO asking for it within 21 days so I'm guessing it needs to be actually done within 2 weeks to allow a week for uploading?

@Aprilfool Not sure if Celina got back to you. The system usually sends you a notification email with attached letter, but some CO's send you an email from them too. My application status hasn't changed, i believe nothing will change until its been finalised. :eek:

Edited by adz

@CelinaOz can I ask how you found out about your CO did they ring or email you? Does it changed the status on your application? I am hoping we might hear in the next month as we applied only a few weeks after you xx

Hi, we got an email with a letter attachment from our case officer introducing themselves & saying we needed Police Check & Medical. Not sure if it's changed on Immi account status as not got on the computer yet. Probably only a few weeks until you get the same! X

Edited by CelinaOz

We have Case Officer too BUT he says I may not be an Australian citizen!!!! I am the sponsor. I was born in Oz of Oz parents with Oz birthcertificate and passport. I became a British citizen in 1999. He says that invalidated my Aus citizenship. No one told me. My children are dual nationality so assumed I could. How wrong I was. Disaster

We have Case Officer too BUT he says I may not be an Australian citizen!!!! I am the sponsor. I was born in Oz of Oz parents with Oz birthcertificate and passport. I became a British citizen in 1999. He says that invalidated my Aus citizenship. No one told me. My children are dual nationality so assumed I could. How wrong I was. Disaster

Oh no! I thought you got dual nationality automatically! Have you got or can you apply for an Australian passport? You have birth right so I think there will be some sort of technicality that allows your application!

Ignore my passport comment just read you have one!! If u have passport you surely have dual citizenship/birth right! My kids were born in Oz but have British passports also purely because I was born in the UK! They can live in either country no problems!!

Edited by Aprilfool

That doesn't add up, from what I read above. There are plenty of people with dual nationality - Australian and British. My wife is one. From what I remember, both countries allow multiple nationality providing any of the other citizenships held also allow that.

From what I understand (I no expert on this), you would need to have renounced your Australian citizenship not to be a citizen. I am also doubtful that you would hold a valid passport if you were not a citizen.

From Wikipedia. Perhaps seek some advice.

Loss of Australian citizenship[edit]

Prior to 4 April 2002, many Australian citizens lost Australian citizenship through acquiring another citizenship, or being the child of a parent who did so. From this date onwards, the scope to lose Australian citizenship is more limited.

Adult Australian citizens acquiring another citizenship[edit]

Between 26 January 1949 and 3 April 2002, an adult Australian generally lost Australian citizenship automatically (section 17 of the Australian Citizenship Act 1948) upon acquisition of another citizenship by a 'voluntary and formal act', with the following rules:

• the age of majority in this respect was 21 until 30 November 1973, and 18 thereafter,

• before 22 November 1984, Australian citizenship was not lost if the acquisition of another citizenship took place while the person was inside Australia,

• from 22 November 1984, the incidental acquisition of another citizenship as the result of another activity (such as an application for a foreign passport, or foreign residence) did not cause loss of Australian citizenship,

• loss of Australian citizenship still occurred even if no oath of allegiance was taken to the other country,

• loss of Australian citizenship occurred even if the Queen was also Head of State of the other country (i.e. a Commonwealth realm such as Canada, New Zealand or the United Kingdom),

• it was not relevant whether the acquisition of another citizenship was reported to the Australian authorities.

Section 17 of the 1948 Act was repealed with effect from 4 April 2002.[12] Although the repeal was not retroactive, since 1 July 2007 former Australian citizens who lost citizenship because of the section are generally able to apply for resumption of Australian citizenship.

[h=2]Resumption of Australian citizenship[edit][/h]Since 1 July 2007, a former Australian citizens can resume Australian citizenship[13] if:

• the former citizen lost Australian citizenship automatically under section 17, 20 or 23 of the 1948 Act, subject only to being of "good character".

• the former citizen renounced Australian citizenship, subject to an additional requirement that the renunciation must have been to acquire or retain another nationality, or to avoid hardship or disadvantage.

Children born to former Australian citizens (only those who lost Australian citizenship by virtue of section 17 of the Act) after loss of the parent's citizenship, and before the parent resumed citizenship, may be considered for a grant of Australian citizenship (whether aged under or over 18). There is no requirement for the parent to resume citizenship. This policy was put in place by Ministerial policy on 13 October 2003 for children under 18 and extended in the 2007 Act to those aged 18 or over.

Some former Australian citizens may qualify for a Resident Return Visa to return to Australia as permanent residents. After 12 months as a permanent resident in Australia, it is normally possible for a former Australian citizen to apply for Australian citizenship.

Edited by Guest
eta

I would have thought so but apparently before 2002 if you voluntarily took out citizenship of another country - ie not because of birth, you lost your Aust citizenship. Thing is no one told me and they reissued passport.

From reading reliable info elsewhere I believe it may be possible to resume your Australian citizenship but I don't know the rules around it. Speak to a good migration agent about it - maybe wrussell on here - asap.

My case officer has requested this from Canberra. They will either simply resume the citizenship retrospectively ( best case scenario) or send me details on how I do this. In the latter case,we have to withdraw the application for partner visa until I become an Ozzie citizen again because you can't sponsor a partner if you are not an Ozzie citizen and start the process again. I was told that the date of our original application would stay (x fingers). Of course there are cost implications but hey ho