SUMMARY: Spouse Visa Processing times OFFSHORE-UK. Please add your Stats.

Guest sr1992

Hi there everyone, I'm a bit confused, my fiancée and I have applied for a partner visa in June, I'm Aussie and she is British. Can she enter Oz on a tourist visa and wait there for permanent to be approved? I received some information that advised that it is fine if you tell your CO of your travels dates, but then I've also been told that if she enters on a one way ticket it could cause major problems?

I'm totally confused now, any help or suggestions?!:chatterbox:

Hi there everyone, I'm a bit confused, my fiancée and I have applied for a partner visa in June, I'm Aussie and she is British. Can she enter Oz on a tourist visa and wait there for permanent to be approved? I received some information that advised that it is fine if you tell your CO of your travels dates, but then I've also been told that if she enters on a one way ticket it could cause major problems?

I'm totally confused now, any help or suggestions?!:chatterbox:

Hi there, my partner already has his PR visa I am waiting fro mine to be granted. I plan to fly over with him fairly soon on a tourist visa and I will be travelling one way. I have found no problems with this. My reasoning is that I would not be fixed to a time to leave and if for some reason I need to go back to the UK I can arrange a flight to suit. Should my visa be granted while on the tourist visa I just have to leave to activate........ I hope that helps, sorry if I rambled

Becky

Hi Tilamont,

Yes, that is fine. Just make sure she's covered for her time in Aus, minus the time from the processing time of 8-9 months, so about six months? You'll need a tourist visa for that. I came in on an evisa for three months, one way. I took all my documents with me, everything, and no one asked me a single question. This is because I am here as a tourist until my visa grant, which means I'm not doing anything illegal or wrong, because I haven't been working and have just been enjoying a holiday. When I go offshore for my visa to be granted, I'll return on my spousal visa.

As for evidence, I 'm not sure. Like Snifter says, how can we be sure? I've been with my husband for five years, married one year, and for two we were in different countries! I didn't have any rent or utility bills to show because we lived with my mum and paid her rent, and just sent through all we had in terms of bank statements showing our joint accounts, personal stuff, and stat decs from his Aussie parents along with a statement from my mum saying we were living together. Also our own personal statements. No photos though, as they weren't requested. I applied early Feb, and got my request to depart for my visa grant six and a half months later. There doesn't seem to be any logic to it! We don't have kids and have only been married a year and yet we got request to depart letter very early on, even though my medical was referred. I was genuinely expecting the request to depart letter at the 8 month mark, my CO has always said 8-9 month processing time.

Thanks for the responses, not so worried now. Just going to get confirmation from our CO that one way ticket is fine, that way if there was any problem at arrival we would have some back up.

Not planning on leaving till November, so in an ideal/total-fantasy-make-believe world approval could be granted before we leave. Of course in reality I think it will be Dec at best March at worst.

I'll keep you all posted on how it all goes!

Guest GeorgeD
Thanks for the responses, not so worried now. Just going to get confirmation from our CO that one way ticket is fine, that way if there was any problem at arrival we would have some back up.

Not planning on leaving till November, so in an ideal/total-fantasy-make-believe world approval could be granted before we leave. Of course in reality I think it will be Dec at best March at worst.

I'll keep you all posted on how it all goes!

If your CO is anything like mine they won't respond saying it's fine...after all it's not their job! COs process your visa, not assess how appropriate your visa is when you arrive at the border. I must've emailed my CO at least half a dozen times over and over asking...can I please go visit my wife in Australia as a tourist. She never replied. At the time I thought it was a bit rude not replying, but I know now that she couldn't give me permission, because that wasn't up to her

When you arrive at the airport you will be assessed the same as every other person who ever enters Australia. Do you have the most appropriate visa for the purpose of your trip? Your CO could give you a letter signed in blood saying they think it's fine for you to enter as a tourist, and yet, you still get assessed by the Immigration Officer at the border, same as everyone else, because that's who decides whether you get in or not...not your CO. As long as you can show you have means to leave it is fine to say, I will be here for a period of time that my tourist visa allows me to be here, I will abide by its rules, and I have the means to book a flight out of Australia before my visa runs out so I can go offshore for my residency to be granted. It really isn't unreasonable, and you are a lower risk than somebody who doesn't have a spouse visa application on the go but turns up on a one way ticket!

Many others have done what you are proposing. Try not to worry about it. You need to leave to get the visa you have spent a lot of money applying for. Why would you risk all of that by breaking the tourist visa terms...spelling

Edited by GeorgeD

Sent application on 7/8 to London but no acknowledgement yet. Checked balance on credit card account and money seems to have been taken so hopefully all ok. Has anyone else had the same experience. Doubtless it is the time of year and other factors but most people on this thread seem to have had a CO assigned in a few days.

Sent application on 7/8 to London but no acknowledgement yet. Checked balance on credit card account and money seems to have been taken so hopefully all ok. Has anyone else had the same experience. Doubtless it is the time of year and other factors but most people on this thread seem to have had a CO assigned in a few days.

Your application is in. Date of lodgement starts then, not when you get a CO assigned. Don't worry about it, one will be in touch in due course.

Should my visa be granted while on the tourist visa I just have to leave to activate........

My understanding is that you cannot be onshore whilst your visa is granted. My information may be old (has been a few years since I got my 100 visa), but I thought you had to co-ordinate with the CO to be offshore when they were ready to grant the visa.

Guest GeorgeD
My understanding is that you cannot be onshore whilst your visa is granted. My information may be old (has been a few years since I got my 100 visa), but I thought you had to co-ordinate with the CO to be offshore when they were ready to grant the visa.

This is still the case...you have to leave for the Offishore Spouse Visa to be granted...if you are onshore when it is granted it is invalid. Going offshore and returning after that point doesn't help. And it's your problem, not DIAC's. Most COs will tell you when they are granting the visa...but as agents have pointed out in the past...they don't actually have to tell you at all!

Keep in touch with your CO and make sure they know you are looking to arrange your offshore trip around their granting of your visa.

Visa granted! Got my notice to go offshore for grant two weeks ago, granted today! Vanuatu is so much sweeter because of it, can't wait to re-enter Australia as a resident!

Stats;

Lodged 04/02/2013

Medicals and police check 13/05/2013

Moved to Aus 01/07/2013

Called offshore to grant visa 15/08/2013

Visa GRANTED 02/09/2013!!

Congratulations christinaon18!! I've got the same case officer as you and applied 7th Feb so I'm hoping I may have your luck and get a grant soon although I'm being patient and working to the 8-9 month waiting time. Just out of interest, do you get notified by email or via post?

Edited by SurreyFamily5

Our CO is back today after a 3 wk break. I would love to have good news before we head over to Perth next week. Should I message her? Anybody hear from CO -LG?

Thanks

Our CO is back today after a 3 wk break. I would love to have good news before we head over to Perth next week. Should I message her? Anybody hear from CO -LG?

Thanks

No, I'd not email. If your CO has been away for 3 weeks imagine the shedload of emails sat waiting to be dealt with.

If you've already informed them about heading to Aus on a tourist visa then you've done as they request re that.

Visa granted!! Wohoo so delighted. Subclass 100. Wasnt sure what we were going to get as only married on Thursday, although going out 11 1/2 years and have 22 month old daughter.

Stats:

Applied 29th Jan 2013

Medicals 5th June 2013

Visa Granted 2nd Sept 2013

Case officer SV

Congratulations!

I also have SV, applied 15th Feb so hoping to hear something soon!

Visa granted!! Wohoo so delighted. Subclass 100. Wasnt sure what we were going to get as only married on Thursday, although going out 11 1/2 years and have 22 month old daughter.

Stats:

Applied 29th Jan 2013

Medicals 5th June 2013

Visa Granted 2nd Sept 2013

Case officer SV

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

we got ours on the same day ?

lodged on 11/02 and also had SV as our case officer!