SUMMARY: Spouse Visa Processing times OFFSHORE-UK. Please add your Stats.

Guest sr1992

Well we didn't receive any written acknowledgement but payment was taken sharpish (2 days after posting) so I guess that's a clear acknowledgement in it's way. No communication yet but I don't expect any now until after the Christmas break. The main thing is that we squeaked in before the price hike. Good luck everyone and congrats to those recent grants. Happy Christmas and best of luck for speedy visa grants in the new year!

We sent our application in on the 17th dec and payment taken on 19th like you but have also not received any communication yet. I think the office is closed now until Jan 2, so if we don't hear anything when it reopens then we are going to chase it up. Hopefully these couple weeks count towards the waiting time.

Hi Everyone,

Congratulations to those who've received been their visa grants.

I emailed KP , my CO, to obtain verification on my visa type. The good news is i'll be getting a class 100 visa :biggrin:.

The bad news is that he doesn't expect to grant it until March, as originally advised.

I applied in late july, so this looks like the end of the six month grant times and a definite move to the eight month time-frames.

My originally CO , JC also left in October , so i'm wondering if they are cutting staff and merging their case loads ?

I applied on the first of august and like you had JC but now have been changed to KP ..In my last contact with him he said mid feb to march so lets hold out and hope that it is in feb rather then march ..

Guest guest80131

Hi. First time post.

Applied for Partner/spouse visa 12-07-2012, payment taken soon after, assigned CO (VF) 18-07-2012, all Police and Medical requirements completed and acknowledged 05-09-2012. Approximately 9 months processing time was stated, however seeing some of the cases here where a simple call helped speed things up I am looking for advice to do just that.

My (Australian) fiancee left the UK in September 2012 and has been over there in Australia since. I went over for 2 weeks in October and while we are in daily contact, we face not seeing each other until at least April. All we are waiting for is the visa grant. A phone conversation with VF back in October told me that they have everything they need in order to grant the visa, they just have to wait 9 months. Is this really true? I suspect not given that people on this forum appear to have got their Partner visas in 5 months in some cases. It has been 5 and a half months already and so I am hoping for something.

Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated.

Edited by guest80131
Clarity.

Hi. First time post.

Applied for Partner/spouse visa 12-07-2012, payment taken soon after, assigned CO (VF) 18-07-2012, all Police and Medical requirements completed and acknowledged 05-09-2012. Approximately 9 months processing time was stated, however seeing some of the cases here where a simple call helped speed things up I am looking for advice to do just that.

My (Australian) fiancee left the UK in September 2012 and has been over there in Australia since. I went over for 2 weeks in October and while we are in daily contact, we face not seeing each other until at least April. All we are waiting for is the visa grant. A phone conversation with VF back in October told me that they have everything they need in order to grant the visa, they just have to wait 9 months. Is this really true? I suspect not given that people on this forum appear to have got their Partner visas in 5 months in some cases. It has been 5 and a half months already and so I am hoping for something.

Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated.

Hi Superchuckles and welcome to pomsinoz!

Unfortunately the waiting times increased at the start of July from 5-6 months to 8-9 months. So, the people that have been having theirs granted in the last month or so are the last ones to have been within the 5-6 month waiting time. Those of us who applied after June are having to wait longer. From what I can gather, while the partner visas aren't capped and queued only a certain number are granted each month (which to me means they are capped and queued but clearly there is some distinction from DIAC's point of view...). Therefore, as the application numbers have increased they are now having to take longer to grant them. My understanding is that the case officers make an assessment fairly quickly as to whether you have submitted everything they need for a decision but then the application goes to the bottom of the pile for the actual grant. The waiting times seem fairly unmovable even if your application is very straightforward (e.g. married for many years plus plenty of kids).

In terms of people calling up their case officers and helping to speed things along a bit, this seems to be only working close to the grant date. I think what happens is that your visa comes up into the pile that can be granted (and has waited the time given when it was lodged) and when you call the case office it can sometimes jog them to grant yours then then rather than working through one or two others first. However, I don't think I've heard of anyone successfully prodding their case officer to grant their visa before the duration they were told when they originally lodged - which is 8 to 9 months for both of us.

I feel your pain but unfortunately there are lots of people waiting in different countries for their visa to come through so DIAC won't make a special exception as a result. There are people who decide that they can't stand the wait and move over on a tourist visa for the last few months. That would probably be an option for you if you can afford it. You can't work on while you are waiting and, as you applied offshore, you have to take a holiday out of Australia for the visa grant which makes the cost add up. There are people on here who have gone down this route who could give you more info if you want it.

If you can't do that the the only real consolation is that once its granted you won't have to be separated again and before you know it you'll have been living in Oz together for years :)

Help!!!

Quick question as its thrown us a bit. On the application booklet it said hubby would need to provide either his Aus passport or BC. So we carried on planning to use his PP. Filling out application it's asking for BC and PP in two places but elsewhere then says his Aus PP is fine.

Are we ok with only the Aus PP for the application? Otherwise we have to get a BC copy sent over from Aus.

Thanks in advance :)

Help!!!

Quick question as its thrown us a bit. On the application booklet it said hubby would need to provide either his Aus passport or BC. So we carried on planning to use his PP. Filling out application it's asking for BC and PP in two places but elsewhere then says his Aus PP is fine.

Are we ok with only the Aus PP for the application? Otherwise we have to get a BC copy sent over from Aus.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Snifter,

I used my passport (notarised copies) to apply.

I did also sent a copy of a certified copy of my birth certificate from 1972 (not original BC).

For some reason an original birth cert was not issued at that time in Perth.

A notarised copy of my certified copy birth cert was used in the application and this seemed fine.

I would ring the visa applications office and check.

Please note to apply for Oz passports for my children outside of Oz, I needed an original birth certificate. So I had to send off for one anyway. They birth deaths and marriages offices post one to you very quickly, its worth getting.

Hopefully someone else can clarify if the BC is necessary.

Hi Everyone

I am in Australia as PR I arrived 6 weeks ago leaving behind my fiance having applied for PMV, we are going through the same agent that helped me get my PR because my OH has a criminal record form a misspent youth. Application sent on 27/09/12 and CO appointed on 10/10/12 further info and medicals requested on the 11/10/12 and sent. Medical done on the 5/11/12, application was front loaded with police check and statement about convictions.Email from CO says she cant give us a time frame but our agent thinks around 8 months. I am 31 weeks pregnant so its the worst time to be away from my OH and he is very down in the cold wet grey UK we skype for at least an hour everyday but its just horrible being apart. You may ask yourself why did you come with out him, well my 5yr multiple entry was due to expire in December and i would rather our baby be born into this beautiful country.Much easier to bring bubba like this and we thought not such a wrench for out parents.

As its so important OH gets here for the birth and to supports me whist he waits for PMV we have enough savings to financially do it so we have also applied for an e676 VV for 3 months, that was applied for on the 10/11/12 CO appointed on the 15/11/12 OH received a phone call from CO on the 16/11/12 asking about his convictions, she said she was happy she had everything she needed now application is at CCU in Hobart awaiting consideration. The wait is agony we just want to be together especially at this magical time, this is both our first child, i take video of bubba kicking and moving and send it to him but its not the same, Christmas was cancelled for us this year but fingers and toes crossed next year will be an Aussie Crimbo with lots of champas. I know its quite a in depth situation but would really appreciate anyone in a similar situation. i have scoured PIO looking for anyone in a similar situation but everyones case is so individual. Good luck everyone

Guest guest80131
Hi Superchuckles and welcome to pomsinoz!

Many thanks! :)

Unfortunately the waiting times increased at the start of July from 5-6 months to 8-9 months. So, the people that have been having theirs granted in the last month or so are the last ones to have been within the 5-6 month waiting time. Those of us who applied after June are having to wait longer.

This is pretty much what I was told during the phone call, however from reading a few recent posts it seems that some people that applied in AUGUST are being told to expect a grant in FEBRUARY or MARCH... This means they applied after I did and will be granted theirs before me. That's fantastic news for them, of course, but if there's a chance my life with my fiancee in Australia can start sooner then that's a chance I'd like to be given.

From what I can gather, while the partner visas aren't capped and queued only a certain number are granted each month (which to me means they are capped and queued but clearly there is some distinction from DIAC's point of view...). Therefore, as the application numbers have increased they are now having to take longer to grant them. My understanding is that the case officers make an assessment fairly quickly as to whether you have submitted everything they need for a decision but then the application goes to the bottom of the pile for the actual grant. The waiting times seem fairly unmovable even if your application is very straightforward (e.g. married for many years plus plenty of kids).

There must be some sort of cap because if they have everything they need then there's nothing other than a cap to stop them being granted, surely... If the Partner Visa category isn't capped or queued then there are no more obstacles left for me other than time. I'd love to know what actually happens in the offices just to get an understanding of what to expect.

In terms of people calling up their case officers and helping to speed things along a bit, this seems to be only working close to the grant date. I think what happens is that your visa comes up into the pile that can be granted (and has waited the time given when it was lodged) and when you call the case office it can sometimes jog them to grant yours then then rather than working through one or two others first. However, I don't think I've heard of anyone successfully prodding their case officer to grant their visa before the duration they were told when they originally lodged - which is 8 to 9 months for both of us.

That's the thing, I phoned AH on the same day we posted everything off in mid-July. I explained that we were sending in the application that day and they said expect a 5-6 month processing time, it was only on the subsequent emails that they then stated a 9 month processing time. Hence my confusion and hope that something may happen soon.

I feel your pain but unfortunately there are lots of people waiting in different countries for their visa to come through so DIAC won't make a special exception as a result. There are people who decide that they can't stand the wait and move over on a tourist visa for the last few months. That would probably be an option for you if you can afford it. You can't work on while you are waiting and, as you applied offshore, you have to take a holiday out of Australia for the visa grant which makes the cost add up. There are people on here who have gone down this route who could give you more info if you want it.

Unfortunately, no I can't afford to do that at this stage. However my eVisitor visa is still valid from my visit in October and will be valid for visits between now and May. I literally just need to sell my car and a few things, pay for the flight and extra baggage and then go.

If you can't do that the the only real consolation is that once its granted you won't have to be separated again and before you know it you'll have been living in Oz together for years :)

Exactly right. I just want it sooner rather than later! And if people who applied after me are being told to expect theirs before I expect mine, then I hold a small sliver of hope that maybe mine will be granted at the same time, if not before, theirs. I may give VF a call in the New Year and see what she says?

Compliment of the season to all... I am new on here, i have some issues, i am frm a country knwn as a high risk, Africa to be precise, i got married to an australian citizen and we have been married for 1yr and 3mnths now, however we lodged a spouse application since last year december 2011 its already 1yr and 3weeks since we lodged the application, last week we recieved an email from my CO saying that my application is near finalization, my question is what does that finalisation means? Every other doc apart frm medical was lodged together with my application, police check lodged at the time of application. somebody hlp me ur advice or opinion will be highly appreciated..

Hi Snifter,

I used my passport (notarised copies) to apply.

I did also sent a copy of a certified copy of my birth certificate from 1972 (not original BC).

For some reason an original birth cert was not issued at that time in Perth.

A notarised copy of my certified copy birth cert was used in the application and this seemed fine.

I would ring the visa applications office and check.

Please note to apply for Oz passports for my children outside of Oz, I needed an original birth certificate. So I had to send off for one anyway. They birth deaths and marriages offices post one to you very quickly, its worth getting.

Hopefully someone else can clarify if the BC is necessary.

Thanks.

We already have son's Aus citizenship by descent and his Aus pp since he was 6 weeks old. Hubby never needed his Aus BC for that, just his Aus PP.

We are a bit stuffed if we *have* to have it as atm the SA website to apply for it is down. Joy. The paperwork is very inconsistent as the booklet says either PP or BC is ok. And most of the application says that also. Just one section on my bit of the application says BC and no mention of PP. And on hubby's also somewhere iirc. But then you read the blurb that goes with it and it says either or. They don't seem to be able to make up their mind. We have everything else sorted, but just hanging out for to find out if we actually must submit a BC from my husband for the application.

Grrrrrrr.

Guest GeorgeD
Thanks.

We already have son's Aus citizenship by descent and his Aus pp since he was 6 weeks old. Hubby never needed his Aus BC for that, just his Aus PP.

We are a bit stuffed if we *have* to have it as atm the SA website to apply for it is down. Joy. The paperwork is very inconsistent as the booklet says either PP or BC is ok. And most of the application says that also. Just one section on my bit of the application says BC and no mention of PP. And on hubby's also somewhere iirc. But then you read the blurb that goes with it and it says either or. They don't seem to be able to make up their mind. We have everything else sorted, but just hanging out for to find out if we actually must submit a BC from my husband for the application.

Grrrrrrr.

I've had a look at Form 47SP (the applicant's) and the document checklist at the end (section 76) mentions this about what documentary proof you can use that your sponsor is an Oz resident or Citizen:

Evidence that your fiancé(e) or partner is an Australian

citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New

Zealand citizen (certified copy of birth certificate,

Australian passport or foreign passport containing

evidence of permanent residence; for New Zealand

citizens – evidence of length of residence in Australia

and of continuing links with Australia)

To be fair though...Form 40SP (the Sponsor's) says on page 3 - What Documents Do You Need? - that Australian-born Citizens need to send a copy of their Full Birth Certificate. I've never noticed that inconsistency before.

I don't think it will be a major problem...you can happily tick your checklist off saying you have included evidence he is Australian by including his passport. If they need his Birth Cert they can ask you for it. It won't hold up your application.

I've had a look at Form 47SP (the applicant's) and the document checklist at the end (section 76) mentions this about what documentary proof you can use that your sponsor is an Oz resident or Citizen:

Evidence that your fiancé(e) or partner is an Australian

citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New

Zealand citizen (certified copy of birth certificate,

Australian passport or foreign passport containing

evidence of permanent residence; for New Zealand

citizens – evidence of length of residence in Australia

and of continuing links with Australia)

To be fair though...Form 40SP (the Sponsor's) says on page 3 - What Documents Do You Need? - that Australian-born Citizens need to send a copy of their Full Birth Certificate. I've never noticed that inconsistency before.

I don't think it will be a major problem...you can happily tick your checklist off saying you have included evidence he is Australian by including his passport. If they need his Birth Cert they can ask you for it. It won't hold up your application.

Thanks George. It is inconsistent. Which is what has thrown me/us. I didn't notice that bit before and of course, because just about everywhere else it said passport was ok or birth cert, we though passport would be fine.

In 47SP, part E, #50 it asks

What is your fiance or partner's citizenship/residence status in Australia? Tick one box only

Australian citizen by birth (please attach a certified copy of your fiance/partners birth certificate)

and other options that don't apply to my husband like Aus citizen by grant, PR of Aus and NZ citizen.

That is the only place on my application is asks for his BC. But then in the notes is tells me either birth cert or his passport is acceptable. The next question 51, asks for his Aus passport details, which of course I can provide.

I think we'll apply without the birth cert and like you say, if they want it, they can ask for it.

Thanks George. It is inconsistent. Which is what has thrown me/us. I didn't notice that bit before and of course, because just about everywhere else it said passport was ok or birth cert, we though passport would be fine.

In 47SP, part E, #50 it asks

What is your fiance or partner's citizenship/residence status in Australia? Tick one box only

Australian citizen by birth (please attach a certified copy of your fiance/partners birth certificate)

and other options that don't apply to my husband like Aus citizen by grant, PR of Aus and NZ citizen.

That is the only place on my application is asks for his BC. But then in the notes is tells me either birth cert or his passport is acceptable. The next question 51, asks for his Aus passport details, which of course I can provide.

I think we'll apply without the birth cert and like you say, if they want it, they can ask for it.

I agree with GeorgeD send off the application ASAP and if they need it they can ask for it. At least you will be 'in the queue'.

It would not hurt to apply for it anyway at a later date.

I agree with GeorgeD send off the application ASAP and if they need it they can ask for it. At least you will be 'in the queue'.

It would not hurt to apply for it anyway at a later date.

Hubby wants to send off for a copy but can't as the SA website with the forms etc is down. We'll get it eventually, just not in time for the application submission. Darn the one bit saying BC :/

Many thanks! :)

Exactly right. I just want it sooner rather than later! And if people who applied after me are being told to expect theirs before I expect mine, then I hold a small sliver of hope that maybe mine will be granted at the same time, if not before, theirs. I may give VF a call in the New Year and see what she says?

I hadn't noticed that some people in August were being told Feb and March - I haven't been very good at reading all the posts in the past few weeks. If that's the case then maybe those of us in July and August will be a sort of crossover group that moves towards the 8-9 months with a couple in between at 6-8 months... Given June has been granted, I originally hoped that they couldn't wait until March to grant the July batch so there would have to be some crossover and people being granted before 8 months. So maybe that is whats happening and explains the difference between the phone conversation and the letter? We can certainly hope!

After seeing the grants over the past few months pretty much all coming in on the projected timescales, I had accepted that I wouldn't see mine until April at the earliest but given the times have just increased maybe the past grants aren't a good indication? VF was really helpful to me when I had to ask a question and my case officer was off on holiday so maybe it would be worthwhile getting in touch just to check what the current expected time is? If you haven't been in touch with her much in the past then I doubt she would be annoyed or anything similar :)

I would love to see inside DIAC as well and try to understand how they work. It certainly seems to me that the visas are queued and capped, despite DIAC saying that they are not! It is frustrating when you've spent all the time and effort putting the application together, only for it to apparently sit in a pile for over half a year. Maybe there is some other processing going on but from everything I've gathered (and the fact that processing times used to be 3 months!) there doesn't seem to be a good reason for it.

I hadn't noticed that some people in August were being told Feb and March - I haven't been very good at reading all the posts in the past few weeks. If that's the case then maybe those of us in July and August will be a sort of crossover group that moves towards the 8-9 months with a couple in between at 6-8 months... Given June has been granted, I originally hoped that they couldn't wait until March to grant the July batch so there would have to be some crossover and people being granted before 8 months. So maybe that is whats happening and explains the difference between the phone conversation and the letter? We can certainly hope!

After seeing the grants over the past few months pretty much all coming in on the projected timescales, I had accepted that I wouldn't see mine until April at the earliest but given the times have just increased maybe the past grants aren't a good indication? VF was really helpful to me when I had to ask a question and my case officer was off on holiday so maybe it would be worthwhile getting in touch just to check what the current expected time is? If you haven't been in touch with her much in the past then I doubt she would be annoyed or anything similar :)

I would love to see inside DIAC as well and try to understand how they work. It certainly seems to me that the visas are queued and capped, despite DIAC saying that they are not! It is frustrating when you've spent all the time and effort putting the application together, only for it to apparently sit in a pile for over half a year. Maybe there is some other processing going on but from everything I've gathered (and the fact that processing times used to be 3 months!) there doesn't seem to be a good reason for it.

Not all June applications have been granted yet :( x

If DIAC says that applications are not queued and capped, I believe them. They may not always tell the whole truth but they are not allowed to tell lies. And I promise that waiting times are not increasing because case officers are spending more time looking out of the window. If waiting lists are growing it is going to be down to one of three reasons:

(a) fewer staff working on partner visa cases

(b) more cases coming in

© more time consuming processing

Guest guest80131

Well I did do just that. As much as these forums are nice, I wanted to get the info from the actual source so phoned VF today. I will expect my projected April grant as it sounds like whether they can or not it won't come through before. VF was again very friendly, very polite and very helpful. In a way I think this forum may have given me some false hope, but I will keep an eye on the August applicants because if they are granted in February/March then I might see how the land lays then.

If DIAC says that applications are not queued and capped, I believe them. They may not always tell the whole truth but they are not allowed to tell lies. And I promise that waiting times are not increasing because case officers are spending more time looking out of the window.

ProudPom, Do you work for the immigration department? Only reason I ask is the part where you say you "promise". This suggests you have either knowledge or control of the situation? Just curious. :)

What I do wonder is what happens in the gap. Ie, the applicants up until June were told 5-6 month processing which takes us to January-ish. July applicants were told April. Surely there isn't going to be a 2 or 3 month period where no visas are granted...? What happens in Jan-Feb-March?

I will expect my projected April grant as it sounds like whether they can or not it won't come through before.

This was my original understanding and the reason I wasn't expecting anything before a minimum of 8 months from when I lodged.

If DIAC says that applications are not queued and capped, I believe them. They may not always tell the whole truth but they are not allowed to tell lies. And I promise that waiting times are not increasing because case officers are spending more time looking out of the window. If waiting lists are growing it is going to be down to one of three reasons:

(a) fewer staff working on partner visa cases

(b) more cases coming in

© more time consuming processing

And that's why I'd love to see inside :) To me, it looks like nothing is happening and that is a bit frustrating, but given the visas aren't queued and capped there must be a reason why they take so long when so much of the processing appears to be conducted very early on. I'm the sort of person that wants to know why :frown:

Guest GeorgeD
I'm the sort of person that wants to know why :frown:

So am I.

Take it from experience...it won't do you any good! It won't make you any less frustrated, in fact it probably has the opposite effect!

It takes as long as it takes. Generally speaking DIAC will tell you the processing time for your appliaction when you apply, and your application will be dealt with in that length of time. Over time, new applicants may be told a new, longer, processing time, but yours will generally still be dealt with in the time you are told. Every now and again, the odd random application slips through the net a little bit quicker. It's luck, not any magic to do with that person or application. If your application takes 9 minutes, 9 hours, 9 days, 9 weeks or 9 months of actual graft by a person to process it makes absolutely zero difference to you...it will still take as long as they said it would take when you applied.

On the plus side...generally speaking, if DIAC tell you it will take X amount of months, then it usually doesn't take any longer than that...it would be a nightmare if they said it took a certain length of time and then took double.

So am I.

Take it from experience...it won't do you any good! It won't make you any less frustrated, in fact it probably has the opposite effect!

It takes as long as it takes. Generally speaking DIAC will tell you the processing time for your appliaction when you apply, and your application will be dealt with in that length of time. Over time, new applicants may be told a new, longer, processing time, but yours will generally still be dealt with in the time you are told. Every now and again, the odd random application slips through the net a little bit quicker. It's luck, not any magic to do with that person or application. If your application takes 9 minutes, 9 hours, 9 days, 9 weeks or 9 months of actual graft by a person to process it makes absolutely zero difference to you...it will still take as long as they said it would take when you applied.

On the plus side...generally speaking, if DIAC tell you it will take X amount of months, then it usually doesn't take any longer than that...it would be a nightmare if they said it took a certain length of time and then took double.

Thanks George :) I'm not getting too caught up about it and I've not been thinking about it much other than the occasions when I come on here - far too busy at the moment! I've accepted that I won't see any final decision until I've been told I will so there's no point hoping for anything earlier - even if some July/August applicants seem to be being told they may hear earlier. I haven't been told that so I doubt I will, although I may still keep a tiny flame of hope alive deep down :tongue: Thankfully I'm in a good place in that I'm with my husband as he's dual British/Australian so we don't have to be separated. I think I would be less relaxed if we were on the opposite sides of the world!

I do also appreciate that DIAC give an indication of how long it will take and, as you say, seem to stick to it. At least I have a pretty good idea of how long it will be until a decision is made. It would indeed be a nightmare for the estimate to be wrong, but possibly even worse to have absolutely no idea at all!

I'm just sitting here crossing fingers that my fiance gets the visa in 8 months, not 9... his tourist visa will be up in the second week of April, which is the same week as the projected grant date (for 8mths). So if all goes well with timing, he will be able to go offshore for the grant, and not have to spend a month offshore :-\

SO excited that I'll be seeing him next week, got so much fun stuff planned together while he's here on his tourist visa - gunna make the most of him not working! The poor thing is going to get a shock when we are plonked on the beach in 40 degree heat!