SUMMARY: Spouse Visa Processing times OFFSHORE-UK. Please add your Stats.

Guest sr1992

Yes all, as i said to mum of 5 our wait is over and visa granted with a week to spare, best of luck to everyone who's applied around the same time - fingers crossed you all get an early Xmas present!!

We did find that by phoning our CO we got more information and assurances, especially as we had already booked our flight and shipped our belongings.

We are now looking at going down the Tourist Visa path... Fiance is coming to visit soon and he is wondering why he is even going back to the UK when he can stay here until April (supposed grant month) and wait it out together and do the visa run when we get the go ahead from LG.

Worried that LG might forget about us and grant while he's in the country! We have already let her know that he's coming to visit for a few weeks. I am having some issues with the people I live with and it would be beneficial for him to be back in the house with me, even though he cant work - and he can use the days to find us a new place. Financially we can do it, we are just worried about possibly not getting granted and he's come over for no reason/he has to go back to the UK. God I was never a worryer until all this visa business!

I know GeorgeD will be able to help me with this: say we go ahead with the tourist visa- which does the fiancé apply for: ETA, eVisitor, or the e676 Tourist Visa? They all sound the same to me! Also, my question is when he applies does he say he is waiting on a PMV? Also, when he arrives at the airport shall he say that too? He obviously isn't going to stay past the 3 months if the PMV is not granted, but he is genuinely coming and doing touristy stuff while we wait (I am taking him on my yearly family holiday, showing him my home town, going to birthdays etc of family members) so shall he just state all those things when he arrives at the airport? Either way the person at the border might not be happy.

Thanks in advance everyone, I would never want him to jeopardise his PMV application by doing this.

Bit gutted to have an email today to say its looking more like early jan for my visa. soo my visa looks like its getting stretched out all the way to 6 month and a bit more. was hoping for before christmas thats looking unlikely now :unsure:

Sorry to hear that - not very festive of your CO to push it out into the new year. Maybe they are winding down already.....

Was it an uninitiated email you received? or a reply to a update?

Hope it doesn't spook your plans.

Best.

I know GeorgeD will be able to help me with this: say we go ahead with the tourist visa- which does the fiancé apply for: ETA, eVisitor, or the e676 Tourist Visa? They all sound the same to me! Also, my question is when he applies does he say he is waiting on a PMV? Also, when he arrives at the airport shall he say that too? He obviously isn't going to stay past the 3 months if the PMV is not granted, but he is genuinely coming and doing touristy stuff while we wait (I am taking him on my yearly family holiday, showing him my home town, going to birthdays etc of family members) so shall he just state all those things when he arrives at the airport? Either way the person at the border might not be happy.

Thanks in advance everyone, I would never want him to jeopardise his PMV application by doing this.

Great question - I'm not sure of the differences, but I think the ETA version is very quick to organise - but for UK citizens it has to be done through a travel agent etc.

[uPDATE - eVisitor applications are free, ETA's cost $20.]

I think I am going to be doing the same, but after I have ha da chat with my CO about processing times....

Trailfinders have an online Oz ETA visa which is very speedy.

Best.

Edited by JMP2006

It looks like the e676 Tourist visa has a wider scope - " allows people to visit Australia for holiday, sightseeing, social or recreational reasons, to visit relatives, friends or for other short-term non-work purpose".

Whereas ETA's and the eVistor just talk of tourism...

Best.

Guest GeorgeD

OK eVisitor and ETA are easy to differentiate. The ETA is only for people from a select few countries:

• Brunei - Darussalam

• Canada

• Hong Kong

• Japan

• Malaysia

• Singapore

• Korea, Rep Of (South)

• United States

If your partner isn't from one of those countries then forget the ETA completely. Cost of this visa is $20 (I think)

If he is from the UK he can apply for the eVisitor. This is free. The eVisitor is basically for all EU passport holders and a few other countries.

Apart from that the ETA and eVisitor are pretty much the same. 12 months validity, 3 months per visit, no work rights. You will only ever be eligible for one of the two and your nationality dictates which one is for you. The ETA used to be used for UK applicants but it changed in 2008 I think it was...now UK passport holders use the eVisitor. I had mine come through in less than 2 hours after applying online.

The e676 is for people who want to stay longer than 3 months for each visit, aren't from countries eligible for the other two, or are already in Oz and are applying for an extension to another tourist visa. Many members here have used the e676 as they wanted to stay for 6-9 months without having to leave while their offshore partner visa was being processed. Far more have used the eVisitor. If he intends going for longer than 3 months, the e676 is cheaper and easier...then he doesn't run the risk of not being allowed back in after coming and going. Although there is a fee for it, it is cheaper than the free eVisitor as you don't need to leave Oz and return soon after. Other than that, the 3 visas are pretty much for the same use...tourist purposes (sightseeing and visiting family and friends) with no work related activity. Studying is also limited or prohibited (can't remember exactly)

If your partner is from the Uk and wants to apply for the eVisitor, you do this online via the Australian Government website. It's free. If the site he applies through is looking for payment, then he is either applying for the wrong visa or is on an Agent's website and they are applying a processing fee. You don't need an agent for the eVisitor...it just askes for your name and Passport details, that's all. There is nowhere for him to explain he has applied for a PMV, so don't worry about it. I travelled to Oz on an eVisitor while I was waiting on my spouse visa application being processed. At the border I was asked why I had come to Australia...I answered, "to visit family." and I was handed my passport and waived through. Visiting family or friends is a valid use of a tourist visa. Having applied offshore for a PMV or spouse visa, the applicant MUST be Offshore when it is granted. You can also look at the situation as being one where someone with that sort of application going on is LESS likely to break the rules of their tourist visa as they have a viable route to residency which requires them to leave OZ. They already are married to or are going to marry a PR or Citizen, so why would they not want to be with their partner, and visiting family is fine on a tourist visa. So it really isn't that much of a red flag. If, however, your partner is a joiner and turns up with a suitcase full of tools, working boots, and copies of his CV and qualifications then there is a really good chance he will get turned around at the airport as he isn't a genuine tourist! None of that has anything to do with him already having applied for the PMV though...he just isn't behaving like a tourist and looks likely to look for work.

HEY EVERYONE!!

I have been following this post for ages and it is so lovely to read about people who fully understand all of this! I have one slightly off topic question to ask though :)

I am Aussie and my partner Marc of 8 years is English. We have applied for a defacto visa and it is all going smoothly. 309/100 visa

The only thing is, we are returning to Australia in Jan 2013 (due to my job) but his visa isn't set to be granted until July 2013. (8-9 month waiting period)

Please can you tell me which you think is the better option......

1) Apply for a 12 month e676 Tourist Visa

2)Apply for the free, 3 month visitor visa and then apply for a 6 month e676 when in Australia?

My logic behind it is that a 6 month 676 visa will easier to obtain and less chance of a medical etc...

Please help, anyone who has done this or knows any info, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Hannah :xmas7:

Am not a happy camper right now :cry:

Just spoke to our CO. She is going on leave in 2 days time, and will not have hubbies visa granted until January, unless we ring her tomorrow with flight.

So AH is closed until Jan 2nd , (according to post 6623 of this thread), which will mean our visa won't be granted until that week at least, pushing it to 6 and a half months, when we were told 5-6. Needless to say I am fuming atm!

I don't know what bothers me more, waiting longer than told, or the fact that she said if i book flights today she will jump us up the queue??? Perhaps if she hadn't jumped others up the queue we would be granted now???

On the up side she did say he WILL be granted.

Edited by Mum of 5
spelling correction

Am not a happy camper right now :cry:

Just spoke to our CO. She is going on leave in 2 days time, and will not have hubbies visa granted until January, unless we ring her tomorrow with flight.

So AH is closed until Jan 2nd , (according to post 6623 of this thread), which will mean our visa won't be granted until that week at least, pushing it to 6 and a half months, when we were told 5-6. Needless to say I am fuming atm!

I don't know what bothers me more, waiting longer than told, or the fact that she said if i book flights today she will jump us up the queue??? Perhaps if she hadn't jumped others up the queue we would be granted now???

On the up side she did say he WILL be granted.

Oh no, will you not be able to get the cheapest flight you can get in the meantime???

OK eVisitor and ETA are easy to differentiate. The ETA is only for people from a select few countries:

• Brunei - Darussalam

• Canada

• Hong Kong

• Japan

• Malaysia

• Singapore

• Korea, Rep Of (South)

• United States

If your partner isn't from one of those countries then forget the ETA completely. Cost of this visa is $20 (I think)

If he is from the UK he can apply for the eVisitor. This is free. The eVisitor is basically for all EU passport holders and a few other countries.

Apart from that the ETA and eVisitor are pretty much the same. 12 months validity, 3 months per visit, no work rights. You will only ever be eligible for one of the two and your nationality dictates which one is for you. The ETA used to be used for UK applicants but it changed in 2008 I think it was...now UK passport holders use the eVisitor. I had mine come through in less than 2 hours after applying online.

The e676 is for people who want to stay longer than 3 months for each visit, aren't from countries eligible for the other two, or are already in Oz and are applying for an extension to another tourist visa. Many members here have used the e676 as they wanted to stay for 6-9 months without having to leave while their offshore partner visa was being processed. Far more have used the eVisitor. If he intends going for longer than 3 months, the e676 is cheaper and easier...then he doesn't run the risk of not being allowed back in after coming and going. Although there is a fee for it, it is cheaper than the free eVisitor as you don't need to leave Oz and return soon after. Other than that, the 3 visas are pretty much for the same use...tourist purposes (sightseeing and visiting family and friends) with no work related activity. Studying is also limited or prohibited (can't remember exactly)

If your partner is from the Uk and wants to apply for the eVisitor, you do this online via the Australian Government website. It's free. If the site he applies through is looking for payment, then he is either applying for the wrong visa or is on an Agent's website and they are applying a processing fee. You don't need an agent for the eVisitor...it just askes for your name and Passport details, that's all. There is nowhere for him to explain he has applied for a PMV, so don't worry about it. I travelled to Oz on an eVisitor while I was waiting on my spouse visa application being processed. At the border I was asked why I had come to Australia...I answered, "to visit family." and I was handed my passport and waived through. Visiting family or friends is a valid use of a tourist visa. Having applied offshore for a PMV or spouse visa, the applicant MUST be Offshore when it is granted. You can also look at the situation as being one where someone with that sort of application going on is LESS likely to break the rules of their tourist visa as they have a viable route to residency which requires them to leave OZ. They already are married to or are going to marry a PR or Citizen, so why would they not want to be with their partner, and visiting family is fine on a tourist visa. So it really isn't that much of a red flag. If, however, your partner is a joiner and turns up with a suitcase full of tools, working boots, and copies of his CV and qualifications then there is a really good chance he will get turned around at the airport as he isn't a genuine tourist! None of that has anything to do with him already having applied for the PMV though...he just isn't behaving like a tourist and looks likely to look for work.

Thanks GeorgeD, I knew you would come back with a good detailed response. After I read that I had a quick look at the eVisitor (free) visa, and it said "applicants with a criminal conviction are likely to be denied this type of visa" - which means my fiance, as he has a juvenille offence on his record that our CO says he will always need to declare. So I think the e676 is the way to go. He's going to apply once we get an email back from our CO acknowledging our plans. I am just concerned that when he arrives at the border, he has on his landing card that he intends to stay for 90 days, but he has in his possession a return ticket for two weeks after he arrives in Aus (he was originally only coming for two weeks).

I guess that's fine as people change their minds etc and can change tickets if they change their plans.

I'm glad you said "visiting family" as I said the 'F' (fiance) word at immigration in the UK and was GRILLED with 1000 questions. Wanted to know specific details. Fair enough, but hell - I want him to come here, not have me stay there!

Last time my fiance left the country to renew a tourist visa to stay with me for 3 more months, (he was only out of the country a week in between) he never got questioned, but he ALWAYS gets singled out - he has tattoos, etc and he always gets picked for the drug/bomb checks haha so I can imagine they would automatically assume he's doing something dodgy.

I guess I would like to know what are his chances of getting the 6 month e676? Do they require more information for that? Or will they just say no (because he's had a few tourist visas in the past) and give him the 3 month instead by default?

Thanks a million guys. Hopefully there are a few more people wanting to do this route over the next couple of weeks so that there is someone else on her as nervous as me!!

Thanks GeorgeD, I knew you would come back with a good detailed response. After I read that I had a quick look at the eVisitor (free) visa, and it said "applicants with a criminal conviction are likely to be denied this type of visa" - which means my fiance, as he has a juvenille offence on his record that our CO says he will always need to declare. So I think the e676 is the way to go. He's going to apply once we get an email back from our CO acknowledging our plans. I am just concerned that when he arrives at the border, he has on his landing card that he intends to stay for 90 days, but he has in his possession a return ticket for two weeks after he arrives in Aus (he was originally only coming for two weeks).

I guess that's fine as people change their minds etc and can change tickets if they change their plans.

I'm glad you said "visiting family" as I said the 'F' (fiance) word at immigration in the UK and was GRILLED with 1000 questions. Wanted to know specific details. Fair enough, but hell - I want him to come here, not have me stay there!

Last time my fiance left the country to renew a tourist visa to stay with me for 3 more months, (he was only out of the country a week in between) he never got questioned, but he ALWAYS gets singled out - he has tattoos, etc and he always gets picked for the drug/bomb checks haha so I can imagine they would automatically assume he's doing something dodgy.

I guess I would like to know what are his chances of getting the 6 month e676? Do they require more information for that? Or will they just say no (because he's had a few tourist visas in the past) and give him the 3 month instead by default?

Thanks a million guys. Hopefully there are a few more people wanting to do this route over the next couple of weeks so that there is someone else on her as nervous as me!!

I am pretty much in the same situation as you LittleKitty! I have to return to Melbourne due to work but I can't stand the thought of going to Aus alone... As even though I am half Aussie I have no family there and only lived there for a few months last year. I am just so so so confused about whether my boyfriend should get a 3 month free visitor visa and then apply for the 676 when in Aus for the last 6 months of waiting till we hopefully get our visa through (8-9 month wait).... Or whether it is just better to apply for the 12 month 676visa here in UK before we leave in Jan. The only thing is having to pay for a separate medical etc... As he is only just about to go for his 309/100visa medical after xmas...... And then the last thing i am worried about is, is it harder to get a 676visa when already in Australia? Sorry to bombard your post but it is nice to read someones who is similar to me at the moment :)

I am pretty much in the same situation as you LittleKitty! I have to return to Melbourne due to work but I can't stand the thought of going to Aus alone... As even though I am half Aussie I have no family there and only lived there for a few months last year. I am just so so so confused about whether my boyfriend should get a 3 month free visitor visa and then apply for the 676 when in Aus for the last 6 months of waiting till we hopefully get our visa through (8-9 month wait).... Or whether it is just better to apply for the 12 month 676visa here in UK before we leave in Jan. The only thing is having to pay for a separate medical etc... As he is only just about to go for his 309/100visa medical after xmas...... And then the last thing i am worried about is, is it harder to get a 676visa when already in Australia? Sorry to bombard your post but it is nice to read someones who is similar to me at the moment :)

No, the more people that are in the same situation as me the better! It's good to heard everyone else's unique situations. When we found out about the 8-9 month wait, we were both looking into all the scenarios of how we could be together etc. And we decided that we could easily do the time apart - but ever since I visited him, I have felt like he is missing out on so much.... I have a few family things coming up in Jan/Feb/March so I want him to attend as him and my brother have just started to really become good mates and my brother doesnt have many other males in the family!

So are you guys being assessed for the PMV (as per your signature)?

If he can only get three months, and he comes second week of Jan we are pushing it a bit - that will give him to the first week of April til the e676 expires - and the grant time is April/May. He knows there is a possibility that we wont get the grant til May and he may have to stay out of the country til he gets the grant (he could be in Asia up to a month if its delayed!). All that would not be an issues obviously if he can get the 6 month visa - which I am waiting to hear back from GeorgeD if this will be a possibility!! Haha GeorgeD should work for DIAC....

Guest GeorgeD
Haha GeorgeD should work for DIAC....

No thanks, I couldn't handle the stress!

I've heard people on here apply for the 6 month e676 and they didn't need to do a medical. Processing time has varied from a few hours to a couple of weeks maximum for this visa. I'd be tempted just to apply for the e676 to start with. If he applies for the eVisitor and is given an 8503 No Further Stay condition (unlikely but could happen) then he wouldn't be allowed to apply for any fruther visa onshore (e676 to extend the stay.) DIAC may also see it in terms that he should've applied for the e676 in the first place as his intention was always to stay more than the 3 months the eVisitor allows...and DIAC advice is to always have the most appropriate visa for the purpose of your trip. If you are in any way unsure, speak to registered Migration Agent for advice...or wait to see if there is anyone who has been in your situation comes along here!

This form tells you the medical requirements for temporary visitors. It varies depending on your nationality, duration of stay and age. http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1163i.pdf

If you are from the Uk and applying for a Temporary visa of 12 months or less, then you don't need a medical...according to that form (unless he needs to meet any of the special requirements).

If your partner has already applied for a Spouse Visa, then DIAC should have a medical for him which is recent. I can't see him needing another one.

Edited by GeorgeD

No thanks, I couldn't handle the stress!

I've heard people on here apply for the 6 month e676 and they didn't need to do a medical. Processing time has varied from a few hours to a couple of weeks maximum for this visa. I'd be tempted just to apply for the e676 to start with. If he applies for the eVisitor and is given an 8503 No Further Stay condition (unlikely but could happen) then he wouldn't be allowed to apply for any fruther visa onshore (e676 to extend the stay.) DIAC may also see it in terms that he should've applied for the e676 in the first place as his intention was always to stay more than the 3 months the eVisitor allows...and DIAC advice is to always have the most appropriate visa for the purpose of your trip. If you are in any way unsure, speak to registered Migration Agent for advice...or wait to see if there is anyone who has been in your situation comes along here!

This form tells you the medical requirements for temporary visitors. It varies depending on your nationality, duration of stay and age. http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1163i.pdf

If you are from the Uk and applying for a Temporary visa of 12 months or less, then you don't need a medical...according to that form (unless he needs to meet any of the special requirements).

If your partner has already applied for a Spouse Visa, then DIAC should have a medical for him which is recent. I can't see him needing another one.

Thanks GeorgeD, I think it's best if he just applies for the 3 month - that will take us to April and he will leave the country (Bali) to wait for the grant. That way he HAS come as a tourist (going on holidays with me/my family in Jan etc) and that he intends to leave after the 3 months (if that comes before the grant). We're happy to spend 3 months together even if that means he has to wait in Bali for the grant. Worst case scenario is that he doesnt get his visa and he's stuck in Bali and has to head back to England, haha... not funny but always a possibility!

Now I only have four weeks til I meet him in Melbourne and I will do the anxious wait at the airport to see if he comes through the doors or gets bailed up by a grumpy immigration officer!

Sorry to hear that - not very festive of your CO to push it out into the new year. Maybe they are winding down already.....

Was it an uninitiated email you received? or a reply to a update?

Hope it doesn't spook your plans.

Best.

hi we have moved back in with parents so we needed a change of address form, so i was just curious to how it was all going. im hearing lots of people giving their co's a little nudge or reminder that their there. it seems while everyone else is getting positive feedback and sometimes even their visa, i might have just miffed mine off.

im still checking my emails everyday at least 10 times a day just in hope!!

Oh no, will you not be able to get the cheapest flight you can get in the meantime???

Hubby isn't planning to fly until May, unless he finds work sooner. However as the visa won't be granted until January, (1 month after time frame), He will lose a month of job searching.