SA State Sponsorship - Are you waiting

Guest The "legdes"

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that our visa's have been lodged today, woohoo we are finally in the queue and waiting too.

I just wonder how long it will take. We were originally hopeing to be in oz around sept as my son will be starting comp, and was hoping he wouldnt have so much change to deal with, never mind though fingers crossed it won't take as long as 2012 ey.

k xxx

We lodged ours 18 Dec 09 my oh oi an Electrician we have SS. We have been told we most likely not hear anything till july so lets hope we move from cat5 to cat2 and things should get moving. Good luck with yours.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The "legdes"

Hi Guys,

Not much progress since my last update. Kaola09 has now lodged with DIAC and Sowters, Dam and Briggs have arrived. If you have any progress let me know and I’ll update the list. It really helps everyone to see that things eventually do progress…

We’ve had no visa grants since our last update that I know about. I hope that’s not the case…please let me know the good news if you’ve had a grant. Last year things were very quite from April to the end of June then there was a rush of grants (ours included from 1/7). I was hoping we’d see some grants in March so do let us all know if you’ve got yours.

Some Questions for people:

Chidge 10…when do you arrive ? Dan 77 you here now ?

MEET UP

The next meet up is this Sunday (Easter Sunday). We’ve made some good friends from the meets so do come along when you land. If you land though and the next meet seems ages off PM me and I’ll give you my mobile number so we can fix something else up. The meet this Sunday is at the same time same place…check out the POMSINADELAIDE site for details…it’s a sticky thread in the socializing forum.

We have people from that site coming who aren’t on this thread…so more new people to make contact with !

Flying Out /Landing

I’m still not sure where we all are staying/living. I know 2 or 3 of us are in Hallett Cove, some in Port Nouralanga and some further North near Henley Beach. If you don’t mind guys can you PM me with where you are and your contact details – I’ll not share them without your permission. It would help us to keep in touch when we arrange ad hoc get togethers and would help new arrivals.

Dawny – arrived Sept 09

MelR – 8/9 to Singapore, 5 nights stay, arrived in Adelaide 16/9, Living in Hallett Cove

Obedoh - 20/9...arrived 22/9…but I think they are now back in the UK.

Ledges – arrived 21/9 (Singapore Airlines,16/9 Heathrow, 3nights in Sing), Living in Hallett Cove

Paddy – arrived Oct 2009, Staying in Fulham Gardens

XShazX – arrived 26th Nov from Glasgow, living in Nouralanga

JimmyT – arrived 24/11

Rob and Mel – arrived 6/11/09

Tigers08 – arrived 29/9/09

Damo – due to arrive Feb 2010

Sowters – Due to arrive 28/1/10

Briggs – Due to arrive 1st Feb 2010

Dan77 – Due to arrive 3/3/2010

Chidge10 – Due to arrive April 2010

L1sa – Due to land 2010

TraceyT – Due to arrive 29/6/10

Some info about Singapore airport

You can leave luggage there so it may be useful to pack a separate case for you stop over. There are lockers where you can charge mobiles, laptops etc etc. There are also chairs which you can lie down on in the airport (no charge), you can hire hotel rooms by the hour at the airport ……anyone else have any more hints and tips ??

One specific question : Does anyone know what happens when you are not doing a stop over at Singapore but change planes and have a shortish stay ? Do your bags get automatically transferred from one plane to the other or do you have to get them from a carousel and recheck them in again ?

Analysis:

We currently have 40 subscribers to this thread.

Of those 1 is waiting to hear from SA..2 have heard since my last update. SA seem to be continuing to turn applications around quickly…good on yer SA !

The remaining 39 apps have been granted SS which really is great news. SA govt are sooo good !

16 visas in total have been granted that’s roughly 40% of all our apps to DIAC.

23 apps are currently with DIAC. If you know you have a case officer can you let me know.

ColourKey:

VISA GRANTED (I’ve changed the colour on request from Dan…is this better ??)

CO allocated

Waiting for a CO

Waiting for SA

May have dropped off this thread.

SS Apps

Impatient – SS lodged 28/8/09. Any update yet Impatient ?

Name ____Visa, SA DATE, FL, DIAC LODGE, 2 mth, DIAC CO, VISA date/Days

Obedoh (Jackie and Duncan) ....CO 24/10/08, Med 11/08, Grant 6/4/09. Flew out 20/9/09

Rhodieboy ...475 ..SS granted 29/1/09, DIAC Lodged 05/02/09 no progress in 6.5 months

(according to DIAC targets should have had a CO 15/4 !!) COME ON DIAC ! CO 29/7 ,Meds done 24/8…waiting again

THE SOWTERS SS app 27/03….SS granted 15/05…..DIAC 9Form1100) sent 10/06……awaiting CO, meds booked for 26/8. (according to DIAC targets should have a CO 20/8) Visa granted 21/9. Fly 28/1/10

Chidge10- 176 ..24/4...(FL)..................24/6.......CO 25/5 visa granted 2/7/09

Mel R - ...................28/4.......................28/6.......CO 14/5...Visa 19/5 (21 days), arrived Sept 09.

JackyL..........................29/4..................29/6......CO 14/5 (16 days).. 3 months ago…hopefully JackyL may have their visa by now..any update anyone ???

Tigers08 - ..................30/4.........(FL)....30/6... CO 13/5....VISA 15/5 (15 days). Arrived in Oz 29/9.

Dawny - 176 ...........30/4.......................30/6...CO 27/5 .. Visa grant 2/7 (37 days from co allocation - included meds being done etc, 62 days since ss)

Ledges- 176 ......4/5 ...(07/07, FL&met)....4/7.... DIAC rec'd SS 5/5 no progress for 54 days then straight to grant on 1/7. Flying out 16/9.

GForce2001.......14/5..............................14/7.... no progress in 3 months (according to DIAC service target limits should have had a co by 27/7) Any update Gforce2001 ????

L1sa .................15/5.............................15/7..... CO 27/5 (12 days)..31 days ago grant 10/7 ( 58 days from SS). Flying out permanently 2010

Briggs - 475.......15/5....not FL .............15/7.. CO 20/5 (6 days).... visa granted, flying out Feb 2010.

Taylors08....176...15/5.........................15/7....CO 26/5 (11 days)..3 months ago –anyone have an update on this ?

Paddy..................18/5..........................18/7...CO 27/5 (9 days)... 29 days ago visa grant 1/7 (43 days from ss) passports returned 10/7. house sold 7/8. Flew out 18/10/09.

Merlino.475........SA 18/5..(Did Not Front Loaded Meds/PCs) when SS was sent to DIAC, Visa App Lodged with DIAC 23/06/09.....DIACs initial SS 2 months up on 23/8...no progress in 42 days

(according to DIAC service target limits should have a co by 23/8 - 2months plus 10 days from SS sent to DIAC) Updated 28/7. CO ALLOCATED ON 24 AUG

Kelly&gazpj........21/5...........................21/7....CO 1/6 (10 days).. anyone know about These guys ?? I think they may have arrived and be in Hallett Cove ??

XShazx ..176......22/5...........................22/7...CO 8/6 ( 18 days)....25 days ago...VISA GRANTED 23/7. Arrived in Adelaide 24/11

xxxx77777..175-6..28/5.........................28/7...no progress – anyone have an update ??

(according to DIAC service target limits should have a co by 10/8)

Damo ......Paper app....29/5.......(not fl).......29/7... SS accepted by DIAC 1/6 CO 28/7 (2 months). Meds 7/8.

(according to DIAC service target limits should have a co by 11/8), Visa granted 4/9/09. Flying out in Feb 2010

VickyMel Applied for Vict SS July 09, approved Oct 09, Non CSL, waiting

JUSTIN JIANG – lodged 12/7/09, SS 2/9/09….WAITING FOR CO

Ponnuvarun

176 …….SA app 16/7………………SA approved 28/7…….awaiting CO

TraceyT SS app 23/7/09, ss granted 4/8/09, CO 17/8, meds 18/9, pc 5/9, visa granted 11/12/09

Needingtogo...SA 22/7…………….SA approved 4/8……CO 18/8 (14 days from SA approval) well within the DIAC service targets. Meds 6/9.

Dan77 - Lodged 12/7....SA recd docs 27/7.....SA Approved 05/08 (10 days)...CO 1/9, meds 4/9/09, visa granted 16/12/09.

JHN5 - Vettasses Dec 08, Applied for SA SS Apr 09 received Jun 09, IELTS Jun 09, Visa Applied for Jul 09, C Officer appointed Aug 09, Meds/PC Sep 09, Visa Granted Dec 09….Aiming to move at the end of the school year.

Dream - ????

Jason brickie - SS 29/7 ...rec'd SA 6/8....awaiting CO

Maggieandrich - ..meds July 09...Visa app to DIAC 2/9. Awaiting CO

Ozi8will – SS applied for 13/8 docs rec’d 31/8,

Rob and Mel – 175 lodged 9/8/09, Meds 12/8, SS 8/9, CO 9/9, Visa Granted 7/9/09. Fly out 6/11/09.

June Pixie – SS lodged 18/8, granted 8/9. CO 20/9.

ISBC1976 – ss lodged 14/9/09, granted 11/11, awaiting CO.

Teresa01 – SA ss lodged 09/09/09, granted 06/10.

TopTurner SA SS granted 6/10

Shirazeram – SA SS lodged 9/09, approved Nov 09,

Sedgecl (The Mather clan) TRA Sent 19/10/09 Approved 3/12/09 SS SA Online App 10/12/09, approved 8/1/10, DIAC lodged 11/1/10

Kaola09 TRA approved 9/12/09, lodged SA SS and documents met on 31/12/09, ss approved 25/1, visa app lodged with DIAC 4/2/10

Keith&Ju – SA SS lodged 6/11

Some Things Some of Us have learned Since Arriving (New ones First – to kill any boredom !):

UK Bank Accounts If you are leaving a UK bank account open there’s a form you need to fill in and hand into your bank….I’ll find out what number etc and update when I do. I think this helps with the tax situation in Oz. Anyone else know it ??

Ambulance Cover – You will have to pay for ambulances so everyone I’ve met, Pomms and Ozzies have ambulance cover. Apparently its only about $60 for the whole family and is provided by St John’s Ambulance …I think you can do it online…I’m going to try today..so will let you know .

Medical Ins – Anyone taken any additional private cover out in addition to Medicare ? I need to do this in the next few days so any hints/tips would be great.

We have our medical insurance and ambo cover together with Mutual Community. For the 4 of us it works out to $75 per month, this is including the rebate from medicare that you get if you have private cover.

Also if you get Medicare you are entitled to a dental voucher for teenagers for their dental care. I didn't know this and a voucher turned up in the mail today for up to a value of $157 to be used during 2010!!!

Vaccinations Get your small kids vaccinations up to date and bring proof with you as you can claim the equivalent of a type of Child Benefit to help with child care (about 50% back which at around $50 per day is quite a lot) …but they won’t pay it if your vacs aren’t complete and they will need proof.

SS and Immigration - if you don’t use the meet and greet you need to pop into 55 Currie Street (right in the middle of Adelaide) with your passport and fill in a form….even if you’ve already gone through immi, got your drivers licence, tax ref, employment and are paying tax etc etc. Only the principal applicant needs to go though so not too bad and it only takes 10 mins.

CAR PARKING – display tickets on the passenger side or you’ll get a fine. We got one but rang in, faxed a copy of our parking ticket so they could see we’d paid and thankfully they waived it. Be warned apparently they take photos to support what they see.

SPEED CAMERAs – watch out when you arrive especially around the airport, the limits change and you can easily get caught out…some of our friends did.

CARS We wish people had told us to consider bringing our people carrier...we're pretty sure that it would have saved us thousands of dollars. Second hand cars keep there value really well over here. - You also have to pay stamp duty and registration fees when you but a car, so keep this in mind. We too wish we had brought our people carrier. Sold ours for peanuts and worth 3 to 4 times more here

TRADES : Plasterers, tilers, brickies, hairdressers etc etc(as well as the expected plumbers and sparkies) need to be licenced...in addition to TRA etc Brickies The MBA in Adlelaide CBD are really helpful re getting your licenses. Mechanical/production engineers don't though.

MOBILES Its probably worth buying an unlocked handset from Singapore or even the UK. Our friends did and got it for about half price as a result...we wish we had too now - doh. On arrival you can only register for pay as you go for the first month, we think a good package is the one provided by "Lebara" a new company with very reasonable international charges...limited handsets though so shop in Singapore ! Totally agree - I am using my UK phone with a Telstra sim in - works fine, Yes unlocked both our phones before we came and using Telstra, they do deals depending on the amount purchased

MEDICARE - you need a perm address and your passports, fill in one form for the whole family. You can use a C/O address (a friend/relative etc)We used the holiday rental address for this

TAX REF Registration - can be done online

PETROL - this is bizzare and I don't quite believe it..but its true. Petrol is a lot dearer on Thurs, Fri and I think Mondays and poss Tues...there are cheap petrol days through out the state..its worth asking a local...it goes up by about 15 -20p per litre ??!! We didn't find out until we'd already filled up with $84 worth - doh! If you shop in Woolworths on the end of each till receipt you will get a 4 cents off a litre if you but your petrol in a Caltex / Woolworths garage. you will also get offers for petrol on your woolies reward card. Petrol sooooo cheap!!!!!

Clothes: Wish we had brought more childrens clothes in different sizes with us and adult ones come to that, not very good choice, poor quality, expensive what I have seen so far.

Car Seats - wish we had brought them with us. Everyone said UK ones not legal here, so got rid of 3 nearly brand new ones. Asked for car seats for the hire car and they gave us a booster seat and a gracco type car seat, same as in UK. After looking in other peoples cars at childrens seats, a lot seem to be the same. Really don't know what to believe regarding this. Think to be legal the full car seats need a rear strap which fits to an anchor point fitted to the car. Boosters though …well they must be alright - how can they not be ??? Seems boosters are OK if you don’t just use a lap seat belt…but check it out for yourselves.

Car Batteries – If you have any probs with a car battery the RAA will replace and fit them for you and provide a 2yr warrantee which an Ozzie friend of ours has used so recommends it.

On a good note too. we have found good prices for wine and have just bought a load of electricals from the Good Guys warehouse and feel that the price we paid was very good.

Finances, pensions etc - you have 6 months to do something about pensions, shares etc before your growth in funds is taxable (FIF Tax). You can transfer some pension funds into Oz ones and so not get taxed. The Oz tax year is July to June. You have to employ an accountant to do your tax return each year.

Inland Revenue - if you have your P45 you can inform them of your departure and claim any tax rebates before you leave.

• 3 months later...
Guest rhodieboy

I can't believe it after all this time and all the hassle I have finally got my Visa!!!:jiggy::jiggy::jiggy:

• 5 months later...
Guest rhodieboy

Hi All

As a single Male Professional I am looking for a room to rent on my arrival in Adelaide

Can anyone help / point me in the best direction

Thanks

Simon

• 4 weeks later...
Guest nirudaka

Hi Guys,

When I lodge my Application on 22/02/10, I got the SA Sponsorships for System Manager for Offshore Applicants. Now I don't know where I stand. Whether to look for any help I have no Idea what is going on. Please help me to come out of this..... ACS = System Manager (2231-11).

Cheers,

Nirudaka (Sri Lanka)

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived