Human behaviour after moving back

Guest Guruju

Guest Guruju

Hi All

In my professional life I study human behavior, attitudes, beliefs etc and it fascinates me so please take this next question in the spirit it is intended, one of interest and learning, as I am not making any judgment, just want to hear your thoughts on the following...

if you have lived in Oz and then returned to the UK and do not intend to live in Oz again...why do you continue to be a part of PIO?

It is a serious question as "social media" also called web 2.0 using forums, blogs, facebook, twitter etc is something that is relatively new and that academics, government and businesses are still trying to understand and what it is about humans that want/need that social connection. My interest is why you stay connected and what you hope to get from/give to PIO.

Cheers

Julia

Guest JoanneHattersley

People continue to belong to PIO as they are still a valuable part of our community. the fact that they have lived here means that they might have some advice on something that we dont know about!

Also they can still give advice to other returnees about how things may have changed in UK.

As well as the fact that (we hope) they may have made some friends here. For some it is theraputic, logging on and just reading!

There are people like myself who have strong connections to both countries and may like to keep up with things going on in the UK or be a source of information to others who are thinking of coming to Australia.

Guest 0405delboy
Hi All

In my professional life I study human behavior, attitudes, beliefs etc and it fascinates me so please take this next question in the spirit it is intended, one of interest and learning, as I am not making any judgment, just want to hear your thoughts on the following...

if you have lived in Oz and then returned to the UK and do not intend to live in Oz again...why do you continue to be a part of PIO?

It is a serious question as "social media" also called web 2.0 using forums, blogs, facebook, twitter etc is something that is relatively new and that academics, government and businesses are still trying to understand and what it is about humans that want/need that social connection. My interest is why you stay connected and what you hope to get from/give to PIO.

Cheers

Julia

Im surprised that a 'professional' in this field wouldnt already have grasped the concept of human interaction in all its forms. :nah: :goofy:

Guest Guruju
Im surprised that a 'professional' in this field wouldnt already have grasped the concept of human interaction in all its forms.

Please stay on topic. :policeman:

Guest Guruju
It was on topic. :yes:

Delboy your post was personal so not on topic as it was referring to my professionalism and understanding of human behaviour. It is not about that.

The topic is about hearing from people whom have tried living here and returned to the UK knowing Oz was not for them and for them to think about why they stay with PIO and to give their genuine thoughts on what it means for them to have that social networking space.

Given you do not fit the category of having returned to the UK to live, I am not sure why you are even on this post, if you have nothing to constructive to contribute.

If you wish to seriously debate personal aspects with me please PM rather than try to take this thread off topic.

Cheers

Julia

Guest proud2beaussie

With the greatest of respect, delboy,just because someone is a professional in their field that doesn't mean they stop learning and stop asking questions.

The basis of all good academic and scientific research is often a thesis conducted on a topic relevant to the discipline of the person studying.

I am not suggesting Julia is undertaking a thesis but I believe she is genuinely interested in learning

whether people who have returned to the UK after a period in Australia would still be interested in PIO ,and if so,why.and I think it's a reasonable topic for discussion.

To be honest i have thourght the same question myself. I for one am glad that people who return are still on here as it does give a balance to people who are looking on here for help/advice, not just the ones who think Aus is great. I am in the latter, i really like Aus.

Guest proud2beaussie

I'm not really qualified to answer the question as I'm still in Australia but I will just make a general comment and say that even when I am in the UK after May I will still be involved with PIO because I see it as a link with my homeland.

Maybe I will start a British version and call it aussiesinpommieland or similar.!

Guest nikkichap

I will continue to stay apart of PIO for as long as I feel the need. Over the past few months I've been as lonely as hell. Knowing there is support from others going through the same thing or advice from people that have come out the other side is hugely valuble. I feel like PIO is more important than having friends that don't know what you are going through and would rather talk about something else!! It's a great support. I hope that once I return I offer help and advice or just to give someone some encouraging words. It is this help that has helped me during some difficult times over the past few months. If I can help just one person then it will be well worth it.

I guess the question would be the same for folk who emigrate and "absolutely love" every bit of Australia - why the heck are they not out mixing with the locals and spending their time on here instead? I am somewhat bemused by that and have asked that question several times and always get the "we got so much help we want to help others" response and I would think that the same would be true for folk who go home again although I do sense there are fewer who have returned home who continue to post here than there are those who have settled in Australia.

I think there may be a sort of addiction going on - you find something that gives you a buzz (in either direction) and then it becomes habitual to check and see what is going on with the community you sense you are a part of.

Julia

Good subject. I certaily do not take it the wrong way. Jo gave a very good reply and all very true.

I'm off to the farmers market now, but on my return I will tell all why I'm still hanging around.

John The Rocker

Since I am retired I have more time for the computer now than at when I was at work. I love computers always have and everything about them also like to keep my typing speed up so forums of any kind are very useful. Plus I meet interesting nice people along the way. If I can help someone find something out I will and that is what I like doing, helping people. Surfing for web sites in a new country is often a bit difficult no matter how web literate people are, knowing what agencies and things are called for example.

I will not be returning to England to live but I would probably still have a look at the forums I belong to wherever I lived. Its just interest, like reading the paper and the letters each day.

Guest JoanneHattersley
I guess the question would be the same for folk who emigrate and "absolutely love" every bit of Australia - why the heck are they not out mixing with the locals and spending their time on here instead?

I suppose for me it is theraputic in some ways. You see that you werent the only one that went through all the hassles. I know that even know I read things ( 4 years on) and think "thank god it werent just me!!"

I think there may be a sort of addiction going on - you find something that gives you a buzz (in either direction) and then it becomes habitual to check and see what is going on with the community you sense you are a part of.

Abolutely right! Addiction! We should have a PIO challenge! Who can stay away the longest! LOL!

Off topic but to do with the web and forums I think they are wonderful for people with disabilities who are housebound now they can be in touch with the world, also lots of elderly people taking classes in sending mail and surfing what a wonderful thing the web is.

Guest JoanneHattersley

How right you are! My Nan surfed the web and emailed ( in her late 70s). SHe rang me to tell me that she had "googled for adult jokes by putting in XXX in the search box!!"

I asked her what she had got and got the response "you know bloody well what"

"Nan " I said "DId you click the `x` to get out of it?

"No" said nan. "I had a good old look first!"

Guest tincan

Addiction , addiction ,addition, .... absolutely PIO is an Addiction lol..... please help me now .... On a more serious note though , i cannot praise this site high enough , i have watched from afar before joining, watching peoples dreams/futures/experiences/unfold before my eyes, sad times ,happy times, tough decisions , leaving family/friends /memories / children/grandkids/ jobs / COMFORT ZONES .... Questions asked by many regarding a huge spread of topics , i too have asked for advice and recieved fantastic replies /answers be they from lay folk such as myself , or professionals on here, this place is a gem good / bad and indifferent ... and though im leaving for the UK permanantely on thurs , ( :smile:) i will still , read and participate in PIO forums , we all have a tale to tell , and some folk post negs, some post positives they all matter , evryone here has something to say , i love the place , and i appreciate everyones experiences ,

I suppose for me it is theraputic in some ways. You see that you werent the only one that went through all the hassles. I know that even know I read things ( 4 years on) and think "thank god it werent just me!!"

Abolutely right! Addiction! We should have a PIO challenge! Who can stay away the longest! LOL!

Do you think Aldo would be in the running!

Guest treesea

This is quite an interesting forum, for starters, and who is to say that someone who has returned to the UK won't at some point go back to Australia? Lots of people returning are Australian as well as British citizens. Just because it suits us to be in Britain now doesn't mean it will still suit in ten or twenty years time.

Keep in mind also that there is a recession in Britain, and a much worse recession than Australia is likely to suffer. Our economy is far more reliant on local consumption that Australia's. And our oil is running out. Australia, in comparison, isn't likely to suffer a natural resources shortage any time soon, except maybe water. Who is to say that those who come back, even to a job, will still be able to get work in a couple of years time?

All "no intention of returning to Australia" means is how a person returning to the UK might feel right at this moment.

Guest tincan

Nikki thank you for your reply , and good luck wishes on our return i appreciate that , Nikki you never need to be alone , there are people me included that will help you through your loneliness , we've had a shi-- time ,the last 4mnths here , (employer) the previous 12 mnths have been pretty fulfilling if not challenging lol ..... would i have come here knowing what would happen , absolutely not, would we have having an open mind and giving it a ruddy good go yes we would , off back to the uk on thurs , will i miss OZ yessss of course we will , will we return , never say never is my motto , unfortunately the "company" say's not for 12mnths you can't lol , sad really , anyhoo , new begginings , and that's a good thing .....

Guest Deb62

Hi;

Being a migrant puts you in a fairly small minority, or it feels like it. It helps to have others who have been, or who are going through the enormous life changes that you have been through. People who have not done it really don't understand what it is like.

Deb

I have been home for nearly a year.

I still use PIO Because:

1) I can.

2) I love a Ding Dong

3) I'm an Australian residant and still may return if OH gets her own way.

4) Been there done it and can give far more advise than somone who has not.

5) I know what it is like to be un happy and come to the relisation of what the Fnck have I done.

6) Support those who do not like Australia and just want to come home.

7) Love putting people right when they come out with crap statments.

And I suppose it is addictive.

Come Back Aldo & Earl

Archived