You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

mrogers

Applying for visa direct with Oz immigration?

Is this a good idea? I have passed my skill assessment an gained an AQF3, so getting through the TRA process I am not worried about. Just wanted to know if anyone as done and passed the online visa process on immi.gov.au? and how straight forward it was. Was going to use an agent but after providing alot of paperwork for the skill assessment without any hickups, I am more kean to give the visa a go also. Any thoughts appreciated. Mark.

AQF3 acquired 10th March

:eek:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Mark

Your earlier threads and posts reveal that you are a Roof Slater & Tiler and that you wish to move to WA. You have obtained an AQF III certificate without the help of an Agent. You are confident that you will now be able to get a positive skills assessment from TRA without any problems, about which you are probably right.

Whilst you wait for your TRA assessment to come back, the next thing is to consider your visa options.

You need to obtain a State Sponsored subclass 176 visa. Any other idea will keep you in Bolton for much longer than you want to stay there, following some very dramatic changes which the Minister has made to the skilled migration program since 1st January 2009.

The sc 176 visa is here:

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)

The Points total for the sc 176 visa is 100 and the Sponsoring State provides 10 more points so you will have more than enough points.

Each State/Territory has its own migration website and the migration authorities in each State produce their own Lists of occupations which they are willing to offer State Sponsorship for. The link to all of the State/Territory websites is here:

State & Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

If you still want to go to WA, the occupation is on their 176 List. Apply for State Sponsorship as soon as you get the OK from TRA, then apply for the visa once you have the State Sponsorship.

Your case sounds so straightforward that I would not waste money on an Agent if I were in your shoes.

Best wishes

Gill

Thank you so much for the in depth reply, and yes, Im a roofer and WA as our future life (hopefully). If we go for the state sponsor (subclass 176) how long do we have once granted a visa? As I have a business to wrap up, house to sell and and family commitments to sort. As with the skilled migrant (subclass 175) we had 5 years once granted a visa, so no strict time frame to work with. If the 175 route is not possible then obviously we have no choice on the matter, I wait for your response.

Guest Gollywobbler
Thank you so much for the in depth reply, and yes, Im a roofer and WA as our future life (hopefully). If we go for the state sponsor (subclass 176) how long do we have once granted a visa? As I have a business to wrap up, house to sell and and family commitments to sort. As with the skilled migrant (subclass 175) we had 5 years once granted a visa, so no strict time frame to work with. If the 175 route is not possible then obviously we have no choice on the matter, I wait for your response.

Hi Mark

The 176 visa works in exactly the same way as the 175.

Once the visa has been granted you will need to validate it by making an Initial Entry to Oz. The Initial Entry date is stated in the visa grant letter and it is usually a date which is 12 months after the earlier of the police checks or the meds.

Some people are able to (and want to) move to Oz permanently once their 175 or 176 visa has been granted so for them the initial entry is also the long term move.

Others choose to make an initial entry in order to satisfy the legal requirement to do so. It is enough if you walk off the plane, get your passports stamped at Immi control and then go straight to the check-in desk to catch the next flight out of Australia. However everyone included in the visa must make this initial entry so it usually becomes a holiday/rekky visit.

Once the visa is validated as above, you then have 5 years from the date when the visa was granted in which to make the permanent move.

The only difference between a 175 and a 176 is that for the 176 the visa applicant and the Sponsoring State have entered into a "gentlemens' agreement" with one another. The terms of this gentlemens' agreement are that Gent A (the migrant) has sought the help of Gent B (the sponsoring State.) Gent B has provided support for Gent A's visa application. In return, Gent A has promised to try to make a go of life in Gent B's State during Gent A's first couple of years in Australia.

Visa law is quite quaint in the way that it relies on the values of a bygone era when a gentleman's word was his bond and so forth. Some of us, myself included, believe it to be an excellent thing. Others think, "Those Aussies must be right schmucks and since they can't prevent me from abusing their kindness & generosity after I've had what I want for myself out of them, abuse them I will."

Which I think is a pity. I don't believe that any of the State Governments in Australia deserve to be kicked in the teeth for treating would be migrants in a gentlemanly and honourable fashion.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi again, so jsut to clarify, once we get the letter stating we have got the visa, there will be a date for entry which will be usually 12 months later? All the family has to travel there to basically get the visa stamped, then can return. This is the only way you get a 5 year timeframe to make the move?

Not like we want it to take 5 years, but until we get the visa we cannot do anything with regards to my business, and house. So having the freedom of no immediate date was ideal.

From getting the visa, then having to sell the house, and wrap up my business just seems a little to tight. But travelling to OZ just to get the visa stamped to return to get the 5 year entry also seems alot, financially especially. It feels like your are expected to uproot within the the 12 month period, and I can appreciate that many people want, and do do it in that period.

Hello again, I am compiling my evidence for TRA, which is straight forward, but in depth. One thing so far I need help with is they do not want original documents sent. So passports, certificates, etc all have to be certified copies. But certified by whom? I pressume an agent would have authority to certify them but as Im doing it alone just wanted to know who I can use?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Guest Gollywobbler
Hello again, I am compiling my evidence for TRA, which is straight forward, but in depth. One thing so far I need help with is they do not want original documents sent. So passports, certificates, etc all have to be certified copies. But certified by whom? I pressume an agent would have authority to certify them but as Im doing it alone just wanted to know who I can use?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Hi Mark

Get a solicitor to do them. That is the best and easiest bet.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi again Mark

Hi again, so just to clarify, once we get the letter stating we have got the visa, there will be a date for entry which will be usually 12 months later?

No. Let us say that you have your medicals done on 1st June 2009. Let us say that your visa is then granted on 15th August 2009. The visa grant letter will say that you have until 30th May 2010 in which to make your Initial Entry to Oz.

All the family has to travel there to basically get the visa stamped, then can return.

Yep.

This is the only way you get a 5 year timeframe to make the move?

Yep. If you fail to make the Initial Entry the visas become at risk of cancellation unless you can show good cause for not having validated in time. Good cause cannot be demonstrated by wanting to sell a business elsewhere or whatever. You would need to show compelling & compassionate grounds - eg a close relly is terminally ill and is not expected to last long so you really cannot travel to Oz just at that time.

Remember, too, that if the visa is granted on (say) 15th August 2009 then the five year period to make the permanent move begins on 15th August 2009 and expires on 14th August 2014.

Best wishes

Gill