Clothes shops in australia

Guest JK2510

Guest JK2510

HI all,

I was hoping if all those poms in oz could tell me about nice clothes shop that are similar to those like Next,H and M,New look,Tammy and M and S. I cant seem to find anything of much use on the net.

thanks

Jodie

There are some decent mens shops in Melbourne, but my girlfriend thinks the womens clothes are a joke, you just have to look around and see what the locals wear, it's like going back to the 80's.

We're off back to the UK for a couple of weeks in June with empty suitcases to return with some decent gear.

Jim

Guest zoensim

have been here in melbourne since january and not yet found 'my' shop...my sister in law is coming next week and i have been on next website and pointed out a few things to her....fingers crossed

still trying to find decent shops myself....you get used to dressing down and living in shorts & vests to be honest and too hot for clothes anyway lol

I must admit unless you can afford designer there isnt much you can compare to UK shops, i think we have been spoilt in the uk. Target is about the best i have found for kids stuff, it is abit like George. I miss TK Max and sports soccer as Billabong and No Fear clothes as they are more expensive here.

Hopefully now Marks & Spencer have started shipping out here, other big names will follow. Cal x

Guest guest17301

If clothes are important to you you may suffer out here. Agree with Cal in that Target and Kmart good for cheap kids stuff. Depends what you're after really, I'm happy in any old rubbish so Kmart does me! It is a lot more casual over here though, no one bats an eyelid at the shoeless folk in the shops! Very liberating!

Hmmm, I'm from Australia and now travelling and hoping to come back with Pom partner. I guess we are generally more casual....

Have you tried Portmans (a little more expensive with some stuff though). I used to shop at the Miss Shop in Myer too (some decent suits, work clothes and casual)?? I used KMart for cheap stuff that didn't matter too much. Ummm, I like going to the outlet mall and then could afford to shop in Esprit too. Perhaps Jeans West and Jay Jays for casual weekend type cloths. Cotton On for some stuff too...

Harris Scarfe used to be ok for some stuff too.

Hope it helps a little!

Good luck

Guest jenny79
Hmmm, I'm from Australia and now travelling and hoping to come back with Pom partner. I guess we are generally more casual....

Have you tried Portmans (a little more expensive with some stuff though).

that is just what i was going to suggest... Portmans | Australian Women's Fashion

HI all,

I was hoping if all those poms in oz could tell me about nice clothes shop that are similar to those like Next,H and M,New look,Tammy and M and S. I cant seem to find anything of much use on the net.

thanks

Jodie

Depends where you're going to live in Oz as Melbourne has some great clothes shops. There are the chain stores like Myer (similar to Debenhams) and David Jones (similar to John Lewis - but not as good!) which both have a good range of womens clothes. There are stores like Portmans, Sussan, Jacquie E, Cue, Country Road, Dotti, which all do good work wear and causual day wear.

I think clothes are more expensive out her, especially for work basics so i would say stock up at Next and M&S whilst you're at home if you can.

I can't speak for other cities in Oz, but Melbourne has a great range of clothing shops, and it's just that the shops are different to what you're used to, not necessarily worse. But, when I return to the UK for a holiday next year i'll be stocking up on M&S underwear!!!

S.

For tshirts and the like can't go past Rivers they are cheap and they wear.

On the web I shop at Women's Clothing Store Online | EziBuy Australia | Women's Fashion Clothes, Plus Size Clothing, dresses, Shoes, lingerie & Accessories. There sizing charts are very good.

My daughter shops on the web a lot and buys from the US and the UK usually through ebay as the clothes are cheaper on ebay than going to the actual sites.

Melbourne CBD has lots of lovely shops, shoe shops etc also Chadstone Shopping Centre is good for fashion.

High Street Prahran has lots of boutique shops.

Direct Factory Outlets is good for run out shoes etc.

In Melbourne the factory outlets in Richmond (Bridge Rd) can offer some good bargains, and also Direct factory Outlets (DFO) in Moorabbin. Prahran (chapel St) is good, and also places like Chadstone. I agree the clothes can be more expensive, we got better value in the USA, where we brought lots of things home with us. I know that the lifestyle in Qld is different, so clothes up there can reflect that. With the cooler climate the winter clothes in Melbourne are better I think.

Guest evertheoptimist

Don't know about you lot but i personally will be ordering from All Saints, having it delivered to my parents address in UK and they will be sending on from there. Don't know what i would do without it. I couldn't care less about how others dress as long as i feel good. The way we dress is a part of who we are, only a small part admittedly but i do love my clothes and don't get me started on shoes.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Guest carla81

Im afraid i cant find any either, they are lacking good clothes shops, it seems to be surf clothes of target! Havent found any good shopping areas, stock up before you go!!!

Im afraid i cant find any either, they are lacking good clothes shops, it seems to be surf clothes of target! Havent found any good shopping areas, stock up before you go!!!

Sounds as though Melbourne has the best choice of clothes shops - Glad i'm living here!!

I have found there to be less chain stores and more smaller/boutique shops, especially in Melbourne. So you really have to spend some time looking around the shops to find out which stores have the kind of clothes you like; different country different styles, sizes, prices and trends! It's also difficult to form an opinion when you haven't had the opportunity to look around yourself.

S.

Guest NurseFlo
I have linked popular fashion outlets found in most Australian shopping malls and high streets, click this link to view my website then scroll down to fashion, hope this helps.

This is a great list - thank you!!

Don't know about you lot but i personally will be ordering from All Saints, having it delivered to my parents address in UK and they will be sending on from there. Don't know what i would do without it. I couldn't care less about how others dress as long as i feel good. The way we dress is a part of who we are, only a small part admittedly but i do love my clothes and don't get me started on shoes.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

My aunt is 80 & been in Aus since the fifties. She comes over to the UK every 10 years & stocks up on shoes! I thought she was mad but now I'm here, I know why!!

I will be ordering my undies from M&S cos they deliver to Aus. And I get a fair bit of Next stuff posted from ebay. I know the quality & size, & even with postage its cheap, especially as the seasons are opposite :jiggy:

Guest gary12

Thank god for M&S! I also order in the next sale and my parents send over by 'surface mail'. I have found the clothes shops here pants! And you can't even get a decent pair of them :) I am probably wrong but there seems no middle ground either cheap or designer. Again probably me but clothes seem to be very small or for 'bigger' women.

But on the bright side it means I am not spending any money!

As someone mentioned as the seasons are different to the UK you can get a bargain, I have just shopped in the M&S sale and got free international delivery to boot.

therefore my advice STOCK UP!

regards

Michelle

Guest JK2510
Thank god for M&S! I also order in the next sale and my parents send over by 'surface mail'. I have found the clothes shops here pants! And you can't even get a decent pair of them :) I am probably wrong but there seems no middle ground either cheap or designer. Again probably me but clothes seem to be very small or for 'bigger' women.

But on the bright side it means I am not spending any money!

As someone mentioned as the seasons are different to the UK you can get a bargain, I have just shopped in the M&S sale and got free international delivery to boot.

therefore my advice STOCK UP!

regards

Michelle

Well i suppose all this means a good session or two of retail therapy-with a proper excuse this time!i_

Guest yankee

I have a huge list of Online Shopping Sites in OZ, it's too big to attach as a file though. So here they are (I hope it's not too long).

Clothes

• Alibi Online Fashion Australia Alibi Online is WISH Designs preferred online stockist and is one of Australia's foremost online women's fashion stores.

• PINKZEBRA - Shop Pink Zebra is a collection of beautiful boutiques

• ilovefashion.com.au ilovefashion.com.au - Dresses Skirts and Shorts Tops Shoes Accessories Jackets Jeans & Pants New Stock Sale Items Gift Vouchers Bags

Makeup

• M·A·C Cosmetics Offering a large selection of makeup, skin care products, cosmetic accessories.

SHOES/BAGS

• Heels - bagem bagemonline online ladies shoes high heels platforms wedges sandals ballet flats .

• hues | iboutique iboutique is an online leather bag boutique that features innovative bags in stunning styles and gorgeous hues;

Homewares etc.

• kikki.K Stationery & Gifts Award winning retailer offering unique gifts, gorgeous stationery and organizing tools in Scandinavian designs

Yes, I have more... :biglaugh:

Guest Squem

Yankeee..... THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

What an amazing list!

I'm so happy that asos deliver to Australia! That's my favourite website ever! lol!

Emma x

Guest yankee

You are very welcome! :cute:

If you like ASOS and don't mind international shipping, may I also suggest Forever 21? It's an American store - a lot of their stuff is more geared toward late teens, early twenty's... or NYC gals at heart, BUT not everything. Their prices are extremely low, sometimes the quality reflects that. However they have an enourmous assortment of stuff, and do they run out fast!

Sizes run sometimes very small for pants....as in if you got junk in the trunk forget it and stick to dresses & tops. But they are working on an extended size range, which is due soon, I read. Rigth now they have a flat fee of $35 (US) on Shipping over $100 items total.

A lot of their stuff is somewhat "copied" form high end designer clothes, in a legal way of course.

http://www.forever21.com/

Also - for anyone that's label crazy, Bluefly - Designer Clothing, Handbags, Shoes & Accessories (Prada, Fendi, Gucci & more) at Discount Prices - an American Online store - also ships to OZ. They carry just about every big designer that's out there at a discount. So these may be items that are either an overstock, or a sometimes from last season. You can get some great quality items there that will last you a life time. I can't wait to order from them again!

Both sites have sizing charts, too. I've bought loads of stuff from both sites/retailers and have always been happy.

Enjoy!

Archived