CPV subclass 173 to 143

wow

Hi Everyone,

I have a query about the Contributory Parent Visa subclass 173 (temp) and the CPV subclass 143 (permanent).

If you apply for and are granted the 173 and decide to apply for the permanent 143, do you need to have medicals done again please? Or is it a paper exercise?

Are there any advantages to obtaining the CPV 173 then moving over to the 143?

Regards, June

Guest june coates

hi june,what a coincidence as i am june too.i have gone down the 2 part road and now wish i had just gone for the 143.gollywobbler will no doubt come in on this as she is so good.in my opinion,it is only worth doing the 2 stage if-

1) you have a lot of money and will earn good interest on it during the wait

2)you will still be working,not retired,like me.

you will not get any concessions at all untill you have been permanent resident for 2 years which means you pay top dollar for everything.

good luck with your visa,whichever path you decide

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi June wow

I agree with June Coates. Holders of the CPV 173 have full work rights but many of them are retired.

DIAC Newsroom – Media_releases – Capping of Contributory Parent category visas

The capping stats from last year show that not many people choose the two-stage route instead of going for the immediately permanent, one stop shop with CPVs and CAPVs.

Cheers

Gill

Sorry to raise this again but I am still not clear on one point regarding this. Van anyone tell me that if you are granted the CPV (temporary) visa and then decide to apply for the 143 (permanent) visa before the other one expires, do you need to do the medicals again? Are there hassles to doing it this way that are best avoided? Can anyone help with that please?

Guest june coates

don't think so but if you spend the waiting time in australia you will need oz police checks after 1 yr

Guest vatnal

Hi June Wow,

I am also applying for my parents same procedure 173 & then 143... Just preparing applications..

See the following link where it says that you dont need to attend forhealth check for 173 to 143 , only OZ police clearance may be needed..

Australian Immigration Fact Sheet 39. Family Stream Migration - Contributory parent category visas

Good luck

Cheers,

Vatnal

• 1 month later...

I have been searching for info on this option. Presumably it still takes about 18 months to 2 years even for the temporary CPV 173? Does it still take another 18 months to 2 years to then convert from the 173 to the permanent 143? What would happen if you had a temporary 173 and DIAC decided to abolish the CPV 143?

Guest Gollywobbler
I have been searching for info on this option. Presumably it still takes about 18 months to 2 years even for the temporary CPV 173? Does it still take another 18 months to 2 years to then convert from the 173 to the permanent 143? What would happen if you had a temporary 173 and DIAC decided to abolish the CPV 143?

Hi Lindsay

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

CPV 143s are taking about 18 months at the moment. CPV 173s take a couple of months - maybe - less because there is no need for an Assurance of Sopport at the 173 stage. The upgrade from 173 to 143 takes about three or four months only.

There is no danger whatsoever of the CPV 143 or the 173 being abolished. They rake in LOADS of money for the Government. That is the only reason why the processing takes as long as it does. When the CPV scheme was new in 2003 they only took 3-6 months and if it went to 6 months it was because the Parents were dragging their feet.

Currently there are 5,900 offshore CPVs available each year. There are about 9,000 applicants in the pipeline at any given time, hence the delay.

Best wishes

Gill

Thanks for your reply, Gollywobbler. We probably can't move to OZ till my husband retires at 65 in October 2013 but were worried about waiting till 2011 till we applied in case they moved the goal posts and we wanted to have our visa in place when he retired so decided to apply next February. I read something about the fact that, although you have 5 years to complete your move over to Oz permanently, you need to have spent 3 years there to be able to get a Resident Return Visa, which is important to us as we would still probably have a son here. So we worked out that with the processing time for the 143 being about 2 years this should work out right for us (although at 18 months for the processing time this would probably be too early.)

We would need to sell our house to raise all the capital (unless we remortgage) but we could afford to pay for the 173 outright, although wouldn't move to Oz then, so we thought this might give us a bit more time to spend in our own home till we applied for the upgrade, with maybe a bit more certainty of obtaining the 143, having already been granted the 173.

Just another thought I had after reading your reply: If the 173 only takes a couple of months, and the upgrade to 143 three to four months after that isn't this then a quicker route than applying for the 143 direct as I understand that once you have the 173 you can then apply for the 143 at any time - so in theory, you could apply for the 173 (taking a couple of months) and then immediately apply for the 143 (another three to four months) - or would you need to be in Oz to do this?

Linda

Good question,I was about to ask that as well. If its true then fantastic but anthing that looks that good normally has been interpreted incorrectly or rush of blood caused wrong end of the stick to be grabbed. Can't wait for Gills reply though.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Linday

Nope! If a CPV 143 takes 18 months then a CPV 173 would typically take about 16 or 17 months. There is not much in it because most people are able to complete the Assurance of Support process within 1 to 2 months.

Given your plans a CPV 173 to start with would be a good idea. It would build in 2 extra years and they only ask for new meds if you have spent time somewhere that you could have caught TB, Hepatitis and similar.

If you do it in two stages you would have 5 years from the grant of the permanent visa - the 143 - in which to make your permanent move to Oz.

Cheers

Gill

Archived