Guest nicorsts1

TRA - formal training/NVQ's, are NVQ's enough???

Guest nicorsts1

Hi all,

I'm after some help/information regarding my trade and qualification.

I've recently completed my NVQ Level 3 in Auto Electrical and have 6 years experience in the trade, i believe my trade is assessed by the TRA and have been told i need to provide proof of 900 hours of formal :wacko: training (not sure if this means hands on practical or text book theory).

My problem is that most of my NVQ portfolio is documented evidence of diagnosis and rectifying electrcial faults throughout all modern vehilce electrcial/electronic systems. I then had to complete 6 exams, so would this be classed as enough formal training?

Thanks

Paul

Guest WEZLY80

It should be ok mate. Im an electrician special class and i have nvq level 3 aswell. The 900hrs refers to the time spent at college( theory) for example i used to go in 6 week blocks between college and work for 2 years. Then the last 3 years of my apprentiship purely on site. So the TRA requires both qualifications from your college work and proof of on the job training aswell for a minimum of 5years.

Guest nicorsts1
It should be ok mate. Im an electrician special class and i have nvq level 3 aswell. The 900hrs refers to the time spent at college( theory) for example i used to go in 6 week blocks between college and work for 2 years. Then the last 3 years of my apprentiship purely on site. So the TRA requires both qualifications from your college work and proof of on the job training aswell for a minimum of 5years.

I can supply proof that i've been trained on the job upto NVQ level 3 since 2003 but its the theory side thats the problem for me. I was 24 when i started my training, prior to this the only electrical theory i'd studied was back in 1997 at college, i did a full time BTEC National Diploma in Auto Engineering but the Electrcal unit was approx 100 - 150 hours, very basic.

I started working for my present company in July 03 and paid for my own training (NVQ's), but there's never been any class room work other than examinations, either written or computer. The NVQ awarding body is by IMI, The Institute of Motoring Industry, is there any other way. How do things work if i looked into getting sponsored?... ideally i would like to go the skilled visa route but in the meantime if this is'nt a an option then what other routes can i look into?

Many thanks for your reply

Paul

Guest nicorsts1

Is it possible to contact the TRA and see if they could shed any light?

Its obvious i need to demonstrate proof of background knowledge which is tested through out my NVQ 3, but is a there any tests i can take to demonstrate the required theory knowledge or do i have to try and find another training course just to get 900hrs in a classroom? argghhh lol :)

Guest WEZLY80

Yes you could contact the TRA via email or ring them they should tell you what you need. Or you could contact a migration agent and they could help you through the process. That is what i did because i failed to get through the skills assessment twice due to the fact i worked as an electrician and in electronics which complicated my application it sounds like your in a similar position. So when i contacted the agent i used Visa Bereau, they told me exactly how to structure my work evidence in order to fit the criterea because the TRA want to know ever detail of your work history. If i remember right the 900hrs is pathway E but there are other pathways you could apply for if you dont meet the reqiurements you just might not realise. The skills assessment is by far the hardest part of the migration process i you can get through that you will most likely get a visa all the best mate.

Guest nicorsts1
Yes you could contact the TRA via email or ring them they should tell you what you need. Or you could contact a migration agent and they could help you through the process. That is what i did because i failed to get through the skills assessment twice due to the fact i worked as an electrician and in electronics which complicated my application it sounds like your in a similar position. So when i contacted the agent i used Visa Bereau, they told me exactly how to structure my work evidence in order to fit the criterea because the TRA want to know ever detail of your work history. If i remember right the 900hrs is pathway E but there are other pathways you could apply for if you dont meet the reqiurements you just might not realise. The skills assessment is by far the hardest part of the migration process i you can get through that you will most likely get a visa all the best mate.

Thanks mate, appreciate your time and help. I have spoken to an agent a while back but they did'nt seem to help. I'll try a few others and see if they can help plus contact TRA. I don't really understand the pathways system and did'nt realise there are other ways, cheers. :biggrin:

Guest 5am8011

hi mate didi you get your visa? iv got a job in oz but just doin the visa bit now getting my nvq l3 cert was it enough all i seem to do is come up against obsticles was it a night mare for you?

Hi

I am also an Automotive Electrician and I am currently looking at doing my skills assessment as well. I dont have any qualifications in that area but I have 5 and half years experience working as an Auto sparky. I have contacted some agents to see what advice they will give me, I will keep you posted on my progression. What visa are you looking to apply for? Let me know how you get one and maybe we can both struggle through with each others help.

Guest 5am8011
Hi

I am also an Automotive Electrician and I am currently looking at doing my skills assessment as well. I dont have any qualifications in that area but I have 5 and half years experience working as an Auto sparky. I have contacted some agents to see what advice they will give me, I will keep you posted on my progression. What visa are you looking to apply for? Let me know how you get one and maybe we can both struggle through with each others help.

i am going to try and get a 457 sponsered visa i passed an interview on monday last and got the job now im trying to get my nvq asap i was at a college and it closed down so i have to resit some of my modules night mare contact the imi they will help you get your nvq in auto electrical but it is a night mare all this visa and nvq and job stuff is not as easy as i first thought!!!!!!