Prescription Medicines

Guest Mandy H

Guest Mandy H

Hi

Could anyone advise please, just wondered if you are allowed to take in prescription medication in your luggage when you fly out to Perth to migrate. We have always taken a medicine bag with us when we have gone on holiday, but migrating i wanted to take medicines like inhalers and antihistimines, which are normally from the GP, with me to ensure i have enough until we are settled and registered with a doctor.

Thanks

Mand

Get a letter from your GP just stating what medication you have and that it is for personal use. (I've done similar letters for clients who are travelling abroad), and there is usually no problems. The letter is a good idea particularly if you're carrying larger quantities of meds .. they just want to be sure you're not selling them.

Guest proud2beaussie

Ali is 100% right in her comments,officially the position is that you are allowed to bring in 3 months supply of a prescription medicine,but many people get away with a lot more,but a letter from your GP with the details of what you are taking will protect you from any problem.

Be sure to carry it in your hand luggage-if it's packed away in a suitcase it will most likely cause you a delay when they scan your luggage and they will ask you about it,if it's in your hand luggage they can see it openly and you won't have any hassles.

Between us my wife and I take a pharmacy's worth of stuff and brought 3 months supply with us when we flew. We kept about a week's worth in our hand luggage and the rest in checked luggage with no problems--we were asked about it in passing on arrival but they didn't even ask to see a doctor's letter (which we had--good advice). FYI, the doctor's letter (and a copy of the back pages of our NHS prescriptions) were also useful to show to our new doctor in Australia.

One thing worth saying is that Australia is pretty reasonable but you also have to check the rules in your transit points. Certain pain killers in particular are on a banned list that could give you problems--my wife has to avoid Singapore for example due to a combination of their rules and the meds she is on. It doesn't sound like this applies to the OP, but worth checking with the airline.

Bob

Archived