Called back by doctor for a repeat xray - worried!

Guest bentkitty

Guest bentkitty

We had our medicals just over a week ago and this morning got a voicemail from the doctor asking my other half to come in to see him. Ofcourse the worry box that I am I almost had a heart attack during the 15 minutes it took for my OH to call the doctor and find out what was going on. I was imagining the worst, HIV etc! The doctor said nothing to cause concern, but he would like a second xray as the first picture was not clear enough.

Has anyone out there had this? Not sure if this is common or not. My OH is a semi-pro cyclist and fit as a fiddle, never had any probs with his lungs/heart... But now I am worried ofcourse, if it could really be something sinister :wideeyed: Surely the doctor would not have said 'nothing to worry about', if there was something to worry about??

I guess I should be pleased that I haven't been called back in as I am probably in the clear. Every cloud...

We had our medicals just over a week ago and this morning got a voicemail from the doctor asking my other half to come in to see him. Ofcourse the worry box that I am I almost had a heart attack during the 15 minutes it took for my OH to call the doctor and find out what was going on. I was imagining the worst, HIV etc! The doctor said nothing to cause concern, but he would like a second xray as the first picture was not clear enough.

Has anyone out there had this? Not sure if this is common or not. My OH is a semi-pro cyclist and fit as a fiddle, never had any probs with his lungs/heart... But now I am worried ofcourse, if it could really be something sinister :wideeyed: Surely the doctor would not have said 'nothing to worry about', if there was something to worry about??

I guess I should be pleased that I haven't been called back in as I am probably in the clear. Every cloud...

Fear not! In radiography terms, it probably means he either breathed or moved while they took the film and it has come out slightly blurred. Often they check the film then and there to make sure its clear but that doesn't happen everywhere. I would say with the nothing to worry comment that he is not ailing from some bizarre disease but needs to stay still!

Liz

Guest bentkitty
Often they check the film then and there to make sure its clear but that doesn't happen everywhere.

Liz

Alas they checked the film on the plate to make sure it was fine but perhaps they didnt check carefully enough.... One thing after another, such a rollercoaster, i just want it all over..................

Guest NurseFlo

sometimes the image isn't properly clear or the wrong exposure of radiation has been set so that individual structures are difficult/too grainy to distinguish - I honestly think its purely a repeat xray to improve clarity - although if he is very athletic, the heart muscle can enlarge in order in to cope with the extra demands placed upon it - he may get asked more questions regarding his lifestyle/fitness regimes etc. I'm also assuming this repeat xray will be FOC? x

Exactly the same happened to me. Returned to the hospital to be told that 3 new images were wanted from different profiles. I know, it gets you thinking all sorts. It was merely a shadow on the original image and the 3 images were just a precautionary measure.

From my conversation with the radiologist this happens quite often. Another week you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about!

Guest JoanneHattersley

Happened to me too. They were looking for something specific when they did my repeat but I was upfront and asked them!~!!!

BEing an RN I got away with it! LOL!

Fear not! In radiography terms, it probably means he either breathed or moved while they took the film and it has come out slightly blurred. Often they check the film then and there to make sure its clear but that doesn't happen everywhere. I would say with the nothing to worry comment that he is not ailing from some bizarre disease but needs to stay still!

Liz

Historically about 10% of chest x-rays are stuffed up due to ordinary incompetence.

Guest bentkitty
Exactly the same happened to me. Returned to the hospital to be told that 3 new images were wanted from different profiles. I know, it gets you thinking all sorts. It was merely a shadow on the original image and the 3 images were just a precautionary measure.

From my conversation with the radiologist this happens quite often. Another week you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about!

SimonP and any others who needed second xrays, did you have to pay for these as well? I dont see why we should have to pay again if it was operator 'error' in the first place... I guess different story if they want different profiles??

SimonP and any others who needed second xrays, did you have to pay for these as well? I dont see why we should have to pay again if it was operator 'error' in the first place... I guess different story if they want different profiles??

Hi Bentkitty,

No additional charge for the second shoot; I guess the different profiles were to satisfy the radiologist's curiosity/professional judgement!

Simon

PS I notice from another thread that we have another thing in common - Accountant (CSL - for now at least). Best of luck for the second shoot and the rest of your application.

Guest Davidgolf

We had to take my son for a second xray as the first one wasnt clear,no extra cost and we have been in oz for nearly 2 years now,so dont worry.

Sharon x:hug:

Guest bentkitty

PS I notice from another thread that we have another thing in common - Accountant (CSL - for now at least). Best of luck for the second shoot and the rest of your application.

Indeed! Fingers crossed we stay on the CSL until our visa arrives!! Have you had your CO assigned yet? Which city are you heading to? We applied in march 08, after a very loooong wait finally had our CO assigned in March 09 (think the CSL helped us!) just done the PCs and meds so hopefully it should be a matter of weeks now. We are heading to Adelaide as we fell in love with it when we were travelling through Australia a few years back. The east coast is way too humid for me, I preferred the climate in Adelaide as it was hot but dry, so you felt it less...

Archived