Got our 475. Should daughter change to 176?

pez2008

Hi all. We decided to emigrate to Oz because my wifes daughter and family were set on it and as we didnt want to be 10000 miles away thought yes we would go to.

So through an agent they applied for the 175 visa and because of my age etc we applied for 475.Up until xmas every thing was ok it was looking like there visa would be a formality in about Jan time and ours a month or so later.

In Feb we got our 475 Visa happy doesnt begin to tell you how we felt because out of the two visa types ours was slightly more dodgy. But oh no, then Australia moved, knocked over, and then burnt the goalposts for 175 migrants.

So we got our visa, my daughter is now so fed up its untrue, my wife not sure she wants to go if daughter/grandkids not going to get there etc. Do you think they should change to 176 visa as my son in law's profession, roof tiler/slater is no longer on csl list. Not sure if its on any list any more so bl**dy confusing all these changes. It was bad enough they were/are going to Melbourne (got friends there) and we were going to Adelaide (advised to, to get sponsored 475 visa) and after 2-3 years we would move to Melbourne. I know its 10 hours apart but at least its the same country.Sorry to go on but its so so so frustrating. All or any advice gratefully accepted.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Pez

They should definitely switch to a State Sponsored sc 176 and their Agent should have been in touch to tell them so.

If you move like greased lightning and you get this in time you may be able to get a sc 176 application to SA before 5pm Adelaide time tomorrow, Tuesday 31st March. The SA website states:

Immigration SA will be removing some occupations from the Sponsorship Occupation Lists at 5pm Adelaide local time on 31 March 2009. Applications submitted online prior to this time will not be affected by these changes and will remain eligible for state sponsorship.

Rof Slate/Tiler is on the List for SA 176 Sponsorship at present. What will happen tomorrow is anyone's guess. Don't bother with the agent. Just get it done I suggest and if you get stuck, phone SA Immigration for advice.

Make The Move :: General skilled migration

Make sure they mention you and your own plans.

If you miss the SA deadline, VIC is also offering sc 176 Sponsorships to Roof Slaters and Tilers, as are the ACT. The link to all the State and Territory websites is here:

State & Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

I will post this and then continue in a new post.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi again Pez

Are you sponsored by South Australia on your 475 visa?

If so then the easiest thing would be if your daughter applies to both SA and VIC for 176 sponsorship. There is no reason not to apply to both States. Mum & Dad are currently planning to move to SA. Daughter has friends in Melbourne. They are not too far apart so an either/or is reasonable.

If Daughter succeeds with VIC but not with SA then we need to think about your own visa conditions.

If you are SA sponsored on your 475 but your daughter moves to Melbourne there is no reason why you cannot move fairly near to Melbourne yourselves. The 475 requires only that you comply with the List below:

Regional Australia/Low Population Growth Metropolitan Areas - Workers - Visas & Immigration

As long as the area where you live and work is in Regional or Metropolitan Low Growth Australia it can be in any State that you wish. There is no problem with that. You merely need to inform the State Migration people in both SA and your destination State of where you have decided to move to. Courtesy would also compel me to explain why although there is no legislative requirement to explain your reasons.

There is no reason why this can't work so as to put the Parents in regional VIC, close to their Daughter . Your intention of moving to SA was plainly 100% genuine until I interfered this morning to point out that you have a choice if you want one. You have therefore satisfied the requirements for your own visa because unexpected changes of circs like this one do occur and nobody either can or would try to penalise you for a change of plan in this situation.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi again Pez

Are you sponsored by South Australia on your 475 visa?

If so then the easiest thing would be if your daughter applies to both SA and VIC for 176 sponsorship. There is no reason not to apply to both States. Mum & Dad are currently planning to move to SA. Daughter has friends in Melbourne. They are not too far apart so an either/or is reasonable.

If Daughter succeeds with VIC but not with SA then we need to think about your own visa conditions.

If you are SA sponsored on your 475 but your daughter moves to Melbourne there is no reason why you cannot move fairly near to Melbourne yourselves. The 475 requires only that you comply with the List below:

Regional Australia/Low Population Growth Metropolitan Areas - Workers - Visas & Immigration

As long as the area where you live and work is in Regional or Metropolitan Low Growth Australia it can be in any State that you wish. There is no problem with that. You merely need to inform the State Migration people in both SA and your destination State of where you have decided to move to. Courtesy would also compel me to explain why although there is no legislative requirement to explain your reasons.

There is no reason why this can't work so as to put the Parents in regional VIC, close to their Daughter . Your intention of moving to SA was plainly 100% genuine until I interfered this morning to point out that you have a choice if you want one. You have therefore satisfied the requirements for your own visa because unexpected changes of circs like this one do occur and nobody either can or would try to penalise you for a change of plan in this situation.

Best wishes

Gill

Thank you very much for that, thats a great help. We told agent from the off that Jo (my step daughter) and there family were going to Victoria but he advised us that SA Australia would give us a much better chance of getting the 475 state sponsored visa.

sorry cant remember exact reason it was 2 years ago.

So can we change our state sponsorship to Victoria now, before we set foot in OZ, even though our Visa is done and dusted and stuck in our passports.

Thanks again for your time reading all these posts and your advice. Pez.

Guest Gollywobbler
Thank you very much for that, thats a great help. We told agent from the off that Jo (my step daughter) and there family were going to Victoria but he advised us that SA Australia would give us a much better chance of getting the 475 state sponsored visa.

sorry cant remember exact reason it was 2 years ago.

So can we change our state sponsorship to Victoria now, before we set foot in OZ, even though our Visa is done and dusted and stuck in our passports.

Thanks again for your time reading all these posts and your advice. Pez.

Hi Pez

Do nothing until your daughter's State Sponsored 176 visa has been granted. Then all of you decide where you want to move to.

If you decide that Mum & Dad will move to VIC instead of SA, simply write to both State Migration authorities explaining that you acted on the advice of a migration agent but the circumstances have changed since then because your daughter has decided to move to Melbourne and you want to be near her.

That will be that. You & Mum will have to live in a "regional" part of VIC, whereas Daughter and family can live in downtown Melbourne if they wish.

Mum & Dad must live in the regional area for not less than 2 years and the main visa holder must work in a regional area for not less than 12 months before you can apply to upgrade to PR via the sc 887 visa. You can live in one regional postcode area and work in another as long as they are both regional/metropolitan low growth.

I do not know the geography of VIC, the postcodes etc. Alan Collett of Go Matilda would be a good chap to ask because he works in the Melbourne CBD and I think he commutes into town. He might live in an outer suburb or even a different town.

Please see this link:

Australia Post - Postcode Search

The DIAC website gives you the postcodes. AusPost provides the name of the place concerned. Please also see:

http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/20821/Eligibility_List_visas475and487-15012009.pdf

On about the third page of the file above there is an excellent map. You can't live and/or work in the pale bit you can live & work anywhere else in the State.

To give you an idea of distances, Geelong is about 70kms from Melbourne CBD. An hour's drive according to Google maps and it is in Regional VIC to judge from the map in the skills list. I know that Wodonga is about 3 hours drive from Melbourne because one of our members lives there and she told me.

The VIC State website should give you more information:

Immigrate to Work and Live in Melbourne and Regional Victoria, Australia - Live in Victoria

Best wishes

Gill

Hi again. If my stepdaughter applied tomorrow for state sponsorship in Victoria roughly how long would it take them to get that visa (million dollar question). As we have to validate our 475 Visa by Dec 1st 09 and was hoping to migrate then or before and not just pop in to get passport stamp.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Pez

VIC are currently taking around 10 weeks to consider State Sponsorship applications.

This thread is relevant:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/57801-latest-aspc-update.html

It seems that plans to process MODL-only applications have been dumped. Even more people will now seek State Sponsorship as a result.

Once the State Sponsorship is obtained the actual visa processing should be swift but since the State migration centres do not have sufficient resources to cope with the sudden demand visa processing is really no faster than it was before.

Let us say that your daughter's 176 visa is eventually granted in about September. Would she be ready to move to Oz by December?

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Pez

<snip>

I do not know the geography of VIC, the postcodes etc. Alan Collett of Go Matilda would be a good chap to ask because he works in the Melbourne CBD and I think he commutes into town. He might live in an outer suburb or even a different town.

<snip>

To give you an idea of distances, Geelong is about 70kms from Melbourne CBD. An hour's drive according to Google maps and it is in Regional VIC to judge from the map in the skills list. I know that Wodonga is about 3 hours drive from Melbourne because one of our members lives there and she told me.

The VIC State website should give you more information:

Immigrate to Work and Live in Melbourne and Regional Victoria, Australia - Live in Victoria

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill.

For future reference I live in Geelong, and workwise split myself between our Geelong office and our Melbourne office.

I also travel inter State for meetings with clients in other capitals - eg I will be in Perth tomorrow, and Adelaide on Thursday, before I head to Melbourne for CPD on Friday and Saturday.

Best regards.

Guest proud2beaussie

And for further reference Wodonga is 300km's North East of Melbourne and is close to Albury on the Vic /NSW border and about 28 km's from where I live.

PS. Geelong is designated as a regional area of Australia - only 50 minutes from Melbourne on the Princes Freeway, and 20 minutes from the Surf Coast and the start of the Great Ocean Road.

So does that mean if we wanted to change our state sponsorship from SA as mentioned above we could pick Geelong as a regional area.

Seeing as this is THE place my daughter is hoping to migrate to because there friends are there this would be excellent news.

To your reply about when could they move gollywobbler, there house should exchange this week so yes they would fly out the minute that Visa gets issued.

We would like to apply asap to change our SA state sponsorship to Victoria so we can start researching property etc, and we also need a fixed address to give to shippers and pet couriers. So me being impatient would like to start now if poss what do you think.

I would like to thank you all again for your time spent giving out free advice. Pez.

Guest Gollywobbler
So does that mean if we wanted to change our state sponsorship from SA as mentioned above we could pick Geelong as a regional area.

Seeing as this is THE place my daughter is hoping to migrate to because there friends are there this would be excellent news.

To your reply about when could they move gollywobbler, there house should exchange this week so yes they would fly out the minute that Visa gets issued.

We would like to apply asap to change our SA state sponsorship to Victoria so we can start researching property etc, and we also need a fixed address to give to shippers and pet couriers. So me being impatient would like to start now if poss what do you think.

I would like to thank you all again for your time spent giving out free advice. Pez.

Hi Pez

Hon, you cannot apply for VIC sponsorship now that your sc 475 visa has been granted unless you make a new visa application. Which is a pointless idea because there is no need to do it. All that you need to do is to inform both SA and VIC that you have decided to move to Geelong in VIC for family reasons.

It is obvious from this thread that you were more than prepared to live in SA until I pitched in and mentioned that the sc 475 visa is more flexible than you had believed and that if you wish to live in a regional area of VIC instead, the 475 visa does not prevent you from doing so.

That really is ALL there is to it. One must not lie in order to get the visa. You not only did not lie, you are a having a heck of a job to be convinced of the truth! Cheer up. I am not wrong about this. Ring up SA State migration and ask them if you are still worried:

http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/centric/home/contact_us_home.jsp#Immi_SA

Cheers

Gill

Hi Pez

Hon, you cannot apply for VIC sponsorship now that your sc 475 visa has been granted unless you make a new visa application. Which is a pointless idea because there is no need to do it. All that you need to do is to inform both SA and VIC that you have decided to move to Geelong in VIC for family reasons.

It is obvious from this thread that you were more than prepared to live in SA until I pitched in and mentioned that the sc 475 visa is more flexible than you had believed and that if you wish to live in a regional area of VIC instead, the 475 visa does not prevent you from doing so.

That really is ALL there is to it. One must not lie in order to get the visa. You not only did not lie, you are a having a heck of a job to be convinced of the truth! Cheer up. I am not wrong about this. Ring up SA State migration and ask them if you are still worried:

Make The Move :: Contact us

Cheers

Gill

Hi again. I dont disbelieve you, i just wish my agent told us we could of gone to Geelong in the first place lol.

Sorry to be a pain have you the link for who to contact in Victoria please.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Pez

VIC: Contact Us - Live in Victoria

SA: Make The Move :: Contact us

Both need to be informed of your change of mind and plans. I sense that you need to reassure yourself by speaking with both on the phone.

The relevant section of the DIAC website is here:

General Skilled Migration

I draw your attention to:

If you are being nominated by a participating State or Territory government, you must agree to live in regional Australia or a low population growth metropolitan area.

See: Regional Australia/Low Population Growth Metropolitan Areas

If you wish to move to another regional area to live and work, you must notify both your current and new nominating State or Territory government of this change.

Why would you need to notify a second State of anything if you are moving between regional areas in your current nominating State? Please also see that they say "notify." They do not say, "Obtain permission from" or "obtain new sponsorship from."

I think both are likely to say that they would be grateful for written notification once you reach Oz. People's plans can change more than once and I feel sure they don't want weekly e-mails from people who change their minds about where they want to be with every passing week before they actually get to Oz and have to find somewhere to live for a while! I'll bet that there are some right ditherers when it comes to it!

These are the postcode areas in which a State Sponsored 475 holder can live and work:

You could live anywhere you like in some States, including SA. In VIC you must avoid Melbourne and its immediate suburbs. Geelong is a different town 70kms from the Melbourne metropolitan area and Alan Collett has kindly confirmed that Geelong IS in a Regional area for the purposes of the sc 475 visa.

The main visa holder is required to work at a job for not less than 12 months and the job must be in a Regional area but it does not have to be a job that is within the same postcode area as the one in which you reside. It can be any job, too.

The 475 visa is infinitely less draconian than your agent seemingly led you to believe, I assure you.

Please let me know what the two State migration authorities tell you? I am sure that both of them will set your mind completely at rest.

How are your daughter's preparations for her application for VIC State Sponsorship coming along?

Best wishes

Gill

PS - Get cracking with finding out about property prices etc in and around Geelong, I would suggest?

I understand and believe what your saying i just dont understand why i had to fill out forms to ask SA for sponsorship and now i can just change to Victoria on a whim.They might as well make the 475 a sponsored Australa Visa so you can go any where regional, and save on all the form filling asking individual states for sponsorship lol.

Guest Gollywobbler
I understand and believe what your saying i just dont understand why i had to fill out forms to ask SA for sponsorship and now i can just change to Victoria on a whim.They might as well make the 475 a sponsored Australa Visa so you can go any where regional, and save on all the form filling asking individual states for sponsorship lol.

Hi Pez

I agree with you. I don't know the reasoning behind State/Territory involvement with visas either.

I can see the logic of States being able to advertise for particular skills and to be able to offer various carrots. Australia is so vast - and even Victoria is vast by British standards - that "the hub" in Canberra would have had no way of keeping abreast of what skills might be needed in Broome. Less of a problem now with reliable internet connections but it must have been impossible for Canberra to keep track of the entire country in the pre-internet days, I strongly suspect.

I'd love to know more about the legal philosophy of the whole thing, actually. VIC and SA might be able to tell you more about why the whole thing works as it does. If they do, I would be very interested to hear what they say just because I am curious about it myself.

Although it is called "State Sponsorship" in every day parlance the legislation uses the terms "nominated" and "nomination." Sponsorship implies a third party promising hands-on commitment to helping the migrant if need be. A family sponsor makes a specific commitment to do so. The States do not make a comparable commitment. It could be that the quid pro quo for the lack of commitment by the nominating State is that the migrant cannot be shackled to the nominating State either.

However I really don't know for sure and would be very interested to learn more if you manage to find out.

Best wishes

Gill

Archived