Any accountants/finance managers heading to Adelaide?

Guest bentkitty

Guest bentkitty

We are in the final stretch now, unless the government decides to take accountants off the CSL! Got our CO assigned a few weeks ago, meds and PCCs done so all going well we should be in Oz sometime in June. Was wondering if anyone knows what the job market is like in Adelaide - hoping that accountants are still one of life's boring necessities over there!:twitcy:

Guest seank

Hi Bentkitty,

you're not entirely on your own! I'm a CIMA qualified accountant and we're heading for Adelaide too, hopefully around June/July. Are you in practise or commerce?

I've used seek.com to get an idea of the job market and there are a number of recruitment firms to try as well - there are fewer jobs advertised than some of the other cities, but still enough to make me think the venture is worthwile. I'm interested to see if you get any other feedback.

regards

Sean

Guest bentkitty
Hi hubby is ACCA and will watch this thread. Everytime put a thread on dont get much response. Have heard through britishexpats thread re accountants that all experience here counts for nothing over there. Hope that's not true!

Oh no that is definitely not good news! I am an ACA (ICAEW) though not sure if it means anyting. I work for a major American bank and head up the management accounting function in the European regions, so i am under no illusions of getting similar blue chip / high pay work over in SA. I just want a job! Also frankly fed up with working in banking, these days the silence that descends on the table whenever I say I work for a bank was amusing at first but no longer so lol. So an industry change would be nice, plus I would like to be able to get home before 7pm every evening for a change :)

However all of the above doesnt stop me waking up some mornings and having that 'Oh my god what the hell am I doing' feeling..... Thankfully husband is a lot more employable than me as he's in IT so I might just take it easy and be a kept woman for a while:tongue:

Guest bentkitty
Hi Bentkitty,

you're not entirely on your own! I'm a CIMA qualified accountant and we're heading for Adelaide too, hopefully around June/July. Are you in practise or commerce?

I guess you can say I am in commerce, as am doing management accounting for a major global bank (ie am not audit / Big 4). Having said this I have worked at Arthur Andersen (where I qualified as an ACA) & afterwards Deloittes for many years before moving to the dark side.... :tongue:

Well I am sure there must be some sort of finance manager job out there for me - provided I am not too picky. I have spoken to a recruitment agent in Sydney (who is a friend) who said provided I dont have too high expectations re: pay / blue chip role then I shouldnt have a problem. Mind you that was before the world went into melt down!!!

Best to keep an optimistic outlook I think! .....

• 4 weeks later...
Guest destiny

hi, i'm also a manager of a bank. can i be assessed by NIA as an accountant? i'm a cpa with more than 10 years experience in accountancy, though my recent position is a manager with jd of accountant. pls. help.

It's true that nobody responds to many of the posts about accountants!!!!!

I will be a fully qualified ACA accountant at the end of this year. All exams are passed but I need to finish my 3 year training contract to become fully qualified. Hopefully we will be begin applying for a visa at the end of this year. It all depends on what experience they want as I only work for a small practice!!!!

Best of luck with the job hunt in Adelaide - we are looking at NSW but Adelaide is probably our next favourable option.

Anza

Archived