Building / Renovation / Trades - Minefield

Guest local builders

Guest brillo

Thanks mate but i'm already committed now to Global visa's. I've already paid them a large deposit. They were the same company my son used about 6 years ago when he came to Oz and he found them pretty good. The only visa i can get now for my age is a 457 visa. This lasts for 4 years. They said at immigration after that i can reapply again, as many times as i want. By that time my circumstances might have changed, like i might have met a bonza Shiela.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest brucie
Thanks mate but i'm already committed now to Global visa's. I've already paid them a large deposit. They were the same company my son used about 6 years ago when he came to Oz and he found them pretty good. The only visa i can get now for my age is a 457 visa. This lasts for 4 years. They said at immigration after that i can reapply again, as many times as i want. By that time my circumstances might have changed, like i might have met a bonza Shiela.

well good luck Trev, let me know how u get on and i'll rack my brains 4 old contacts in Gosford and c if I can any leads 4 you infact I was only speaking 2 an old friend a few weeks ago from there on the phone he is hard 2 get hold of but shall c if he knows anyone, and if you do find a "bonza Shiela" make sure she has a friend or sister 4 me:biggrin: only kidding Trev, :wideeyed:my missis would kill me,

Guest brillo

Haha thanks a lot mate. Any info on companies that have sponsored oversea's brickies would be much appreciated. I've been self employed most of my working life but in order for me to get this 457 visa i have to be employed. Thanks again for looking into to it for me. Trev.

• 1 year later...
Guest suzcunny

Hi

I wonder if you could help please?

My husband who is a bricklayer has his own business in UK and has guys working for him building extensions etc. He doesn't mind working on site for the first couple of years when we arrive in Australia but wants to go on to better things and have his own business like here or be a supervisor for foreman etc. He has spoken to a bricky who has moved to Perth and he hasn't been very positive about the working condtions. He says he is not treated very well and its so hot he starts work really early and then has to go to bed early. But, more importantly he also said that he would have to go to college for 3 years to even think about starting his own business.

Is there any truth in any of this?

Thank you in advance

• 1 month later...
Hi everyone,

First post here, I'm a local Gold Coast builder ( Aussie ) with many a good pommy / trade mates. Recently, my best pommy mate told me about this site, about the Brits who are looking to land in Oz, come across many problems relating to either building or buying a house, 'tradies' who are looking to chase work only to find that local licences are required over and above what you may bring with you or from what you have been told.

As many of you may or may not know, there are many pitfalls that can start you off on the wrong foot, so to speak and can become nightmares.

If my pommy mates & I can help you out with your building requirements, no problems but the main topic here is to tell you how is really is, ( Not to gloss over and make everything sound wonderful )

I'm happy to give honest advice and basic guidance ( Not legal ) on matters. There no costs attached. Any queries that I answer will be a 'general rule of thumb' approach with a genuine comment as to how things really are at present or what may be required.

Topics may include but not limited to ........

*** For 'tradies' who come out only to find that they need local state licences, etc.

*** Looking to buy a house, what 'local problems' do we need to look out for?

*** Looking for a tradesman on the Coast ( you may prefer an ex Brit ) or anyone else for that matter, etc.

Regards,

JP

Hi JP,

First of all, thanks for offering out help.

Looking to come across in the next few Months. Got a 175 visa as a spark. Been out since and have my A licence. My question is..... Perth or Brisbane. Love the sound of both, Don't fancy being pushed around with the Perth rental situation, but is there much work for a spark in Brisbane/Gold Coast though?

I am an electrical mechanic (installation).

Thanks mate..............Steve.

Guest brucie

Hi Steve,

I dont know what its like in Perth but the sparkies I see on site seem to be busy, dont forget we (Brizzie) are still getting over the floods in places, and you have the GC games so there is work out there mate,good look.

Guest Guest31881

This thread is 3 years old, The original quote being referred to way out of date...

I have closed the thread and recommend you start a new thread to get up to date information. Most of the posters on this thread no longer post on the forum...

Archived