Building / Renovation / Trades - Minefield

Guest local builders

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest brillo

Hi local builder, strange name but can you give me any advice. I,m 52 with 33 years experience as a brickie. Also fast and neat. My son and grandchildren live just outside Sydney in a place called Woy Woy near Gosford. i desperately want to move in with them and start a new life in Oz. Work back in England is tough now and has been for over a year now. I've been offered a job from a local builder which is great but i need a sponsor to go with it in order to get my visa. The only visa available to me now because of my age is a 457 business long stay visa which lasts for 4 years. I know your a long way from where i want to live with my son, but do you know how i can get in touch with any construction companies that might be interested in employing and sponsoring probably the best brickie the world has ever seen. Thanks for your time. Trev.

Guest janiec

Hi JP, can you help us?? We came to Queensland 6 months ago on a PR visa as hubby has TRA successful assessment in Refrigeration & Air Conditioning.. We applied for ARTC on arrival but was unsuccessful (thats another story).. He needs to get a restricted electrical licence and we have been around the block and back trying to get it, we've tried the RPL program etc but its a catch 22, you can't get the licence without a job and you can't get a job without the licence.. So, to cut a long story short he has now set up as self employed and he needs to do a statutory declaration for the ESO and I was wondering if you could advise me what format this should be in. I know that the correct wording and layout of these things can make the difference between getting the licence and not. Better still, do you know anyone that would be willing to employ him so that he can get his work signed off and get his licence that way, he has completed the Cert II and we have applied for his Arktic so its just the restricted elec thats holding us back. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Jane

Hi JP,

great post! me and my partner are coming over in 3months, he is a gasfitter he is early 20s has 7years experience, full apprenticeship all certificates in heating and ventilation and done all gas tests etc will be doing LPG before we come over and then apply for his gas licence once there! we have read up on the gas licence and it seems quite straight forward and quick its just the plumbing side that seems more difficult! if you are in need of a gasfitter please let us know! we would be willing to come earlier too if he had a job offer! gold coast is the area we are heading to! if you have any advice or info please le me know! thank you

sarah

Guest steve the spark
well i love an opomist but saying that the construction market in regard to housing will pick up in a month or two is in my opinion massively over opomistic,

i really really hope i`m prooved wrong but i dont feel that i will be the case, my prediction would be that it`ll get worse before it gets better and that the recovery is at least 12 months away

like i said thats my takeon it

regards steve

looks like i hit the nail on the head with that prediction

Guest steve the spark
Hi JP, can you help us?? We came to Queensland 6 months ago on a PR visa as hubby has TRA successful assessment in Refrigeration & Air Conditioning.. We applied for ARTC on arrival but was unsuccessful (thats another story).. He needs to get a restricted electrical licence and we have been around the block and back trying to get it, we've tried the RPL program etc but its a catch 22, you can't get the licence without a job and you can't get a job without the licence.. So, to cut a long story short he has now set up as self employed and he needs to do a statutory declaration for the ESO and I was wondering if you could advise me what format this should be in. I know that the correct wording and layout of these things can make the difference between getting the licence and not. Better still, do you know anyone that would be willing to employ him so that he can get his work signed off and get his licence that way, he has completed the Cert II and we have applied for his Arktic so its just the restricted elec thats holding us back. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Jane

speak to chris at queensland electrical training

HomePage

Guest brucie
Hi everyone,

First post here, I'm a local Gold Coast builder ( Aussie ) with many a good pommy / trade mates. Recently, my best pommy mate told me about this site, about the Brits who are looking to land in Oz, come across many problems relating to either building or buying a house, 'tradies' who are looking to chase work only to find that local licences are required over and above what you may bring with you or from what you have been told.

As many of you may or may not know, there are many pitfalls that can start you off on the wrong foot, so to speak and can become nightmares.

If my pommy mates & I can help you out with your building requirements, no problems but the main topic here is to tell you how is really is, ( Not to gloss over and make everything sound wonderful )

I'm happy to give honest advice and basic guidance ( Not legal ) on matters. There no costs attached. Any queries that I answer will be a 'general rule of thumb' approach with a genuine comment as to how things really are at present or what may be required.

Topics may include but not limited to ........

*** For 'tradies' who come out only to find that they need local state licences, etc.

*** Looking to buy a house, what 'local problems' do we need to look out for?

*** Looking for a tradesman on the Coast ( you may prefer an ex Brit ) or anyone else for that matter, etc.

Regards,

JP

Nice one mate, the building game is slowing down big time, been here (brizzie) 20 odd years as a stonemason, am now getting the elbow in a weeks time, any takers???:mad:

Guest brillo

Its nice when someone can give you advice Brucie.I'm not sure if you've read my profile but i'm an English brickie,52 fast and neat with 33 years experience.I want desperately want to move to Oz to live with my son and 2 grandchildren.They live north of Sydney in Woy Woy which is near Gosford.I need someone to employ me and sponsor me.I have a job offer but the company are not sure about sponsoring me as they know nothing about it.I now have an agency that are looking to help me at a cost of 1000 pounds plus $705 for a 457 visa.They say it should take 2-6 months to get me over if they can convince this company to sponsor me.Any advice please mate.Thanks Trev.

Guest Rickard Family
Hi everyone,

First post here, I'm a local Gold Coast builder ( Aussie ) with many a good pommy / trade mates. Recently, my best pommy mate told me about this site, about the Brits who are looking to land in Oz, come across many problems relating to either building or buying a house, 'tradies' who are looking to chase work only to find that local licences are required over and above what you may bring with you or from what you have been told.

As many of you may or may not know, there are many pitfalls that can start you off on the wrong foot, so to speak and can become nightmares.

If my pommy mates & I can help you out with your building requirements, no problems but the main topic here is to tell you how is really is, ( Not to gloss over and make everything sound wonderful )

I'm happy to give honest advice and basic guidance ( Not legal ) on matters. There no costs attached. Any queries that I answer will be a 'general rule of thumb' approach with a genuine comment as to how things really are at present or what may be required.

Topics may include but not limited to ........

*** For 'tradies' who come out only to find that they need local state licences, etc.

*** Looking to buy a house, what 'local problems' do we need to look out for?

*** Looking for a tradesman on the Coast ( you may prefer an ex Brit ) or anyone else for that matter, etc.

Regards,

JP

Hi JP,

We are due to fly out to the Gold Coast on the 29th June. I am a Carpenter and Joiner, regarding a licence what do I need to begin work. Also what is the current work situation like now, have things picked up is is it still hard to find work. If you could send me any contacts it would be appreciated. Thanks Clinton

Hi JP,

We are due to fly out to the Gold Coast on the 29th June. I am a Carpenter and Joiner, regarding a licence what do I need to begin work. Also what is the current work situation like now, have things picked up is is it still hard to find work. If you could send me any contacts it would be appreciated. Thanks Clinton

If you look the post is over a year old , dont know if the blokesaround, his last post was march 2009

Guest Rickard Family
If you look the post is over a year old , dont know if the blokesaround, his last post was march 2009

I new it was an old post, hes australian just hoped he would still be around!! Or someone else might help. Thanks.

Guest james barr

been looking for a sponsor for over a year now to use the RSMS visa i need someone to offer me two years work because iam to old for a skilled migrant iam a carpenter vetassess passed

• 3 weeks later...
Hi JP,

Hi Clinton

The following may help with your first question:

Carpenter 4411-13 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

Joiner - Carpenter Licensing Query - Australia

"Yes, to work as a self-employed carpenter in Queensland you will need a licence. This is dealt with by Building Services Authority (BSA) http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx

You will also need a blue or white card to ensure that you understand the safety rules. You can apply for this before you arrive in Aus online White Card / Blue Card Online Safety Training Courses

If you are employed then there is no requirement to be registered, it is only a requirement if you are working as a contractor/self employed."

All the best

Guest Silol
Hi JP,

Kate's post is very helpful and points you in the right direction. For self-employed, my OH used Queensland Master Builder's Association to do the assessment of his carpentry skills. With his application he gave them copies of what he used for his Trades Assessment for his visa, and they helped him get a job as a labourer which he stuck out for the month needed in order for the practical assessment. At that time (around Nov/Dec 08) the government gave a rebate on the assessment once you passed & QMBA do all they can to help ensure you pass. He then used that certificate to get licensed in Qld. The whole process took around 3 months though - to actually get the license in hand. Postage, etc, is all much slower here. So I hope you have enough to get you through for a while. He's remained a member and gone on to do the expensive Builder's Assessment and is just awaiting the certificate for that (he's passed :jiggy:) in order to get his license.

Good luck, and hope you manage to either organise your license, or find employment.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest greg n em

Hello chaps ? I want to move to perth

So how different is bricklaying in oz?

Are you earning good money ? in England im on £110 a day

Are there many big bricklaying sub contractors ?

Do i need a license?

What hours do you work?

Is there other sites apart from house bashing ? What does everybody think the best trade is for oz ? Cheers .

Greg.

Guest brucie
Its nice when someone can give you advice Brucie.I'm not sure if you've read my profile but i'm an English brickie,52 fast and neat with 33 years experience.I want desperately want to move to Oz to live with my son and 2 grandchildren.They live north of Sydney in Woy Woy which is near Gosford.I need someone to employ me and sponsor me.I have a job offer but the company are not sure about sponsoring me as they know nothing about it.I now have an agency that are looking to help me at a cost of 1000 pounds plus $705 for a 457 visa.They say it should take 2-6 months to get me over if they can convince this company to sponsor me.Any advice please mate.Thanks Trev.

Hi Trev,

I thought ppl got a work visa from the aussie cons... try & get your son 2 sponsor u and look around when u get here & save yourself a grand.:biggrin:

Guest brillo

Hi Brucie no unfortunately family members can't sponsor you. They told me that at immigration in Sydney. The way it stands now for me is i'm filling in tons of forms i've been sent from the agencies. They are going to get in touch with the company that offererd me a job and explain about sponsoring. Unfortunately this will mean lots of form filling for them to. I'm keeping my fingers crossed this doesn't scare them off. If they do get scared off then i'm back to square one. Sponsoring an oversea's worker doesn't cost the employer anything, in my case i'm paying for everything. This is where the thousand pounds comes in, it's just a pain in the arse with the form filling for the would be employer. So if you know any or hear of any companies that have employed any oversea's workers in my case Brickies and are used to sponsoring could you let me know. Thanks for the response. Trev.

Guest brucie
Hello chaps ? I want to move to perth

go to your bedroom now and dont stamp your feet

So how different is bricklaying in oz?

we lay the bricks upside down mate!

the is air lighter so we use heavy bricks!!

and we wear a lead belt 4 the 1st floor then take

it off, dont need a ladder either

Are you earning good money ? in England im on £110 a day

wow there matey :wideeyed: emmm! chase me chase me!!

Are there many big bricklaying sub contractors ?

god your choozzy :Randy-git: be careful or:arghh:

Do i need a license?

wot ? like a dog licence or something?:biglaugh:

What hours do you work?

:hug:

Is there other sites apart from house bashing ?

:jiggy:

What does everybody think the best trade is for oz ? Cheers .

:policeman:

Greg.

SORRY Greg,

no offence ment mate I will get back 2 u later must go dont normally laugh at my own jokes but im butsin mate cyer later.:wink:

Guest greg n em

Been everywhere trying to find a lead belt but no where sells them !! And yes exactly like a dog license as i dont like strangers.........or cats..........or twats who think they are hilarious. Dont reply fella.

Guest brillo

Wow looks like i'm going to get caught in some cross fire on this page. Brucie all they told me at the agency is it will hopefully take between 2 and 6 months to process my application but i'm still filling the forms and getting references. Also i've got to have a police records test done on me, not sure where or how i do that and i need to organise some health insurance or medicare. The area i want to work and live is near Gosford to live with my son and grandkids. Hey Greg n Em and Brucie make love not war haha.

Guest brucie
Wow looks like i'm going to get caught in some cross fire on this page. Brucie all they told me at the agency is it will hopefully take between 2 and 6 months to process my application but i'm still filling the forms and getting references. Also i've got to have a police records test done on me, not sure where or how i do that and i need to organise some health insurance or medicare. The area i want to work and live is near Gosford to live with my son and grandkids. Hey Greg n Em and Brucie make love not war haha.

Hi Trev,

I would think that if the agency is lagit then they should be able 2 have the power 2 do a police check on u without u even knowing it like a security firm would if say u were going 4 a job with them, again your agency should know about medicare and medicare private, thats a goverment thing and everyone has it or you can go private which costs money, and health insurance policys can vary in price and cover, hope this helps Trev.

Guest brucie

HI Greg,

So sorry if I upset you mate, bricklaying here looks mostly the same from what I have seen on sites, except we dont use breez blocks we use beta blocke looks the same but a lot lighter, the subbies I know say it can vary but one says 45 dollers p/h, I dont know about Perth Greg but on the eastern side the are always brickies jobs goin, the average is an 8 hour day and start n finish early in the summer on the project your on and would not have a clue as 2 the best trade here, hope this helps Greg and loosen up mate cos if u cant take a joke mate well!!:heart_head_nod_yes_

Archived