Guest Lysander

Urgently need primary school information

Guest Lysander

Hi All,

I am new to this site and after some informtaiom about primary schools and how to enrole.

My husband had just been offered a job in Brisbane. It has always been a dream of ours to live in Australia for a few years so we are very excited. However my pratical head has taken over and I have no idea how I would find a school for my son who is nearly 6. My husbands company (He would be on secondment for 2 years from the UK) would like him to start this summer but the AU school year starts in January so DS would be starting mid school year. He is currently in Yr 1 here in the UK. Who do I contact to find out about schools. Does anyone kinow the good primary schools in Brisbane. Can you start at a school mid school year and will that not be very hard for my son in terms of making friends etc. Once we have accepted the job we will be given a relocation advsor who will help with finding a house etc but I dod not think I can make a final decsion on the move untill I know what we will do about school.

Any advice would be useful including what it is like to live in Brisbane with young children (Also have 2yr old twins!!!!!) Are we mad to think of moving abroad with three young children!!!!!

Kate

Dont panic, the school is going to be the least of your worries!

The first thing to do is to find a place you want to live in 24/7 and the school will follow - usually if you dont mind living in a suburb you wont mind sending your child to a school in that suburb and vice versa - the schools reflect the socio economic profile of the suburb. All schools are obliged to find a place for a child who lives in their priority enrolment area (may be called different things in different states) so you wont have to worry about whether he will get a place or not. If you want to enrol him out of area then it is up to the school to say whether they have a space or not. Private schools can say yay or nay as the mood takes them and depends on your ability to pay the fees - Catholic schools are cheap but the fees can be up to $20kpa for the top notch schools.

Starting in the middle of the year is no problem at all, kids do it all the time. Just rock up to the school with his passport (and visa) showing his age, evidence of your "permanent" address - ie not a motel - and his vaccination record and he could start right there and then if you wanted. But at 6 there would be no rush to get him into school, he can have a few weeks off while you get your living stuff sorted out. Most schools are fine (see caveat about socio economic profile of the suburb though!)

Will he make friends? Who knows. Most kids do to some degree and you can foster that with play dates etc but there will also be opportunities outside of the school environment.

Hi All,

I am new to this site and after some informtaiom about primary schools and how to enrole.

My husband had just been offered a job in Brisbane. It has always been a dream of ours to live in Australia for a few years so we are very excited. However my pratical head has taken over and I have no idea how I would find a school for my son who is nearly 6. My husbands company (He would be on secondment for 2 years from the UK) would like him to start this summer but the AU school year starts in January so DS would be starting mid school year. He is currently in Yr 1 here in the UK. Who do I contact to find out about schools. Does anyone kinow the good primary schools in Brisbane. Can you start at a school mid school year and will that not be very hard for my son in terms of making friends etc. Once we have accepted the job we will be given a relocation advsor who will help with finding a house etc but I dod not think I can make a final decsion on the move untill I know what we will do about school.

Any advice would be useful including what it is like to live in Brisbane with young children (Also have 2yr old twins!!!!!) Are we mad to think of moving abroad with three young children!!!!!

Kate

Just to add something to the good advice you have already got from Quoll. Australia is very child orientated so you won't be doing any harm bringing your child over here. There are lots of parks, pools etc where you can play for free. There are lots of suburbs all over Brisbane that have good schools....but if you want to keep it simple then stay within 15km of the CBD and you have a higher chance of finding a good govt school. If you want to get the best govt school's then probably head out west towards "The Gap". But again...there are good schools all over.

Catholic primary schools are great community minded schools and approx 1000 squid / year.

As Quoll said find out where you want to live first and then research schools that are commutable from that area.

Guest ABCDiamond
I have no idea how I would find a school for my son who is nearly 6. My husbands company (He would be on secondment for 2 years from the UK) would like him to start this summer but the AU school year starts in January so DS would be starting mid school year. He is currently in Yr 1 here in the UK. Who do I contact to find out about schools. Does anyone kinow the good primary schools in Brisbane. Can you start at a school mid school year and will that not be very hard for my son in terms of making friends etc.

Kate

Brisbane is a big place, you do need to know exactly where you will be living and working.

Kids settle very well, my one daughter has only ever been to an Australian school, but she has British school friends who have started after moving here, and they all settled well. New kids seem to make friends pretty easily.

Yes, you can start at any time of the year, even mid term etc.

Some basic info on QLD schools:

In 2003, about 32% of all School Children in Australia went to Private/Independent schools.

Although State Schools are classed as free education, Voluntary Contributions of about $60 per child per year are normally expected, and asked for, by every school.

Each child also has to supply their own stationery, for which a list is provided detailing exactly what is required each year. The cost of this can be between $100 and $200 each year.

State school uniforms can be from around $200 upwards.

State schools must accept all children that live in their 'catchment area', and will bring in extra teachers etc as required to cater for any overflow of students

Private School Fees can start from about $800 per year, rising to $20,000+ per year, but some common figures are between $3,000 and $6,000 per year.

You do need to check out the schools, as the quality varies. We kept our daughter at one school for only 1 term, then moved her, as we were not happy with the school.

Good luck with everything

PS. The QLD school years for birth dates are as follows:

born July 2002 - Jun 2003 : start prep in Jan 2008 and Year 1 in Jan 2009.

born July 2003 - Jun 2004 : start prep in Jan 2009 and Year 1 in Jan 2010.

Guest Dave T

Moving to Oz would be the best thing you could ever do for your children!!

Obtain dual nationality and they can travel between UK and Aus at will,when they're older.

Children are so adaptable and don't have the hang ups we do,open their eyes to the world.

Dave T

Guest quigs

My advice after spending months researching Sydney schools is to PICK your school first as it is the most important thing. If your child settles and is happy you will be and you won't worry about starting your twins later. You should also research pre-schools in case you want the twins to do a few mornings soon. These get oversubscribed very very quickly.

Look up the

INTEDU - Counselling for Boarding Schools and Private High Schools - International Schools

You can always find a nice house ,nice neighbourhood but don't assume your local school will be what you want. You maybe lucky but I wouldn't leave it to chance as there have been quite a few concerning school reports. Good Luck

My advice after spending months researching Sydney schools is to PICK your school first as it is the most important thing. If your child settles and is happy you will be and you won't worry about starting your twins later. You should also research pre-schools in case you want the twins to do a few mornings soon. These get oversubscribed very very quickly.

Look up the

INTEDU - Counselling for Boarding Schools and Private High Schools - International Schools

You can always find a nice house ,nice neighbourhood but don't assume your local school will be what you want. You maybe lucky but I wouldn't leave it to chance as there have been quite a few concerning school reports. Good Luck

I have completely the opposite opinion. Find somewhere YOU will be happy first. If you live in a decent suburb you will have a decent school. Sydney is a completely different ball game to Brisbane, and I agree that in Sydney, living in a good suburb often does not mean they have decent schools......I've live in both cities.

Where will you husband be working? If you can provide some more information then I am sure there will be lots of recommendations for areas to live. There's no point in me recommending southside suburbs if he's going to be working on the northside!

We have been very happy where we are. The local schools are great and there is a good mix of state, private and Catholic. Lots of activities for kids of all ages, near the water, train line into the city etc. We are in the Bayside area. However, there are many many areas in Brisbane which I am sure would suit you just as well.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Love

Rudi

x

Hi

I find this a good site when looking for school information Brisbane, Queensland Schools - Australian Schools Directory

It is very easy to enrol children and most schools are very helpful about telling you what to do and when.

Good Luck with everything

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Guest frank1

Look up the

Hi there, would anyone know if ther is an kind of OSTED report i could read about the schools in OZ? Also, from what age do kids start school? Add from what time to what time? I plan to take my 3 year-old son, and I wish he will be from around 8 am to 4 pm in school so I can work.

By the way schools are free, but how about university?

Thanks

x

Sorry Frank, no OFSTED here. It depends which state you plan to be in as to what age your child will start school. Generally it's from about 5 years old. State schools are usually about 9 til 3. Private schools have a slightly longer day and run from maybe 8.30 til 3.30. However, lots of schools have before and after school care which you can pay for, for parents who work.

Love

Rudi

x

Guest Nicki Edge

HI, can anyone give me some advice on good primary and secondary schools in Adelaide? We are due to move out in February next year and have some relatives in Port Noarlunga. Although it would be nice to live near by, at least initially, we want to get the children into good schools and settled. I have heard that seaford is good and Cardjin Catholic School?

Any advice welcome thanks