emmaj

Timescales on getting a rental property?

We will have four weeks to find an unfurnished rental once we arrive in Oz. (Hubs employer is providing us with a furnished rental for 4 weeks as part of our relocation package)

Is this do-able or are we been totally unrealistic?

Many thanks

Emma

x

457 Visa Granted 4th June....Flying to Perth 6th July!!

JUST Starting To Settle & Enjoy Life In Perth!

PR Granted 22nd December 2011

Citizenship Granted 28th August 2013!

Absolutely do-able, it is scary but trying to find one any sooner in advance simply doesn't work. There is strong competition for decent rentals in decent areas, if you find somewhere you like complete the application form and pay a deposit on the spot. If you are successful you will find out in a day or two and are expected to take up the lease within another day or two.

As professionals with OH already in employment it should be easier - we certainly had no problems & provided the letting agency with references (employers but still showed 'good character'), bank statement of Oz account, offer of employment letters showing saslary and details of the vacation rental owner who was willing to provide a 'landlords refernce'

But you won't need any of that 'cos you're going to move into my place :)))))

Oh just thought your Kitty will make it harder, although mentioned it to a real estate agent here & he said people don't mind cats as much as dogs and you should be okay.

We booked a furnished rental for two months and had a long-term rental within two weeks so it was a big waste of money (not ours but still a waste although at least we didn't move in until our container arrived)

Jules

Absolutely do-able, it is scary but trying to find one any sooner in advance simply doesn't work. There is strong competition for decent rentals in decent areas, if you find somewhere you like complete the application form and pay a deposit on the spot. If you are successful you will find out in a day or two and are expected to take up the lease within another day or two.

As professionals with OH already in employment it should be easier - we certainly had no problems & provided the letting agency with references (employers but still showed 'good character'), bank statement of Oz account, offer of employment letters showing saslary and details of the vacation rental owner who was willing to provide a 'landlords refernce'

But you won't need any of that 'cos you're going to move into my place :)))))

Oh just thought your Kitty will make it harder, although mentioned it to a real estate agent here & he said people don't mind cats as much as dogs and you should be okay.

We booked a furnished rental for two months and had a long-term rental within two weeks so it was a big waste of money (not ours but still a waste although at least we didn't move in until our container arrived)

Jules

Just a point about cats , most rentals require dogs to stay putside ( but we fib) . I dont know what the criteria is with cats but counclis nor require cats to be kept indoors at night or you can expect a hefty fine

Here at last:jiggy:

SUFC life not a pastime

I limit myself to 2 drinks a day, I`m now 10 years in front make that 15

Yeah our guinea pigs have to stay outside too :))

We decided a cat was too stressful in Aus & our last one is 20 and still going strong in the UK!

If you're stuck Emma I could always mind yours for a while (or take it for rental inspections :))))))

Jules

We will have four weeks to find an unfurnished rental once we arrive in Oz. (Hubs employer is providing us with a furnished rental for 4 weeks as part of our relocation package)

Is this do-able or are we been totally unrealistic?

Many thanks

Emma

x

Hi if you have 4 weeks i would spend a week settling in and searching suburbs ,when you find somewhere you like approach in person or phone every agent who covers that area to see what rentals are available that fit your time frame. I really dont think you will have a problem

Good Luck

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Research the area you want to live, schools, shops and public transport etc.. Once you have found the area then visit every rental agent and put your name down for new listings even visit agents in different suburbs, next keep your eye on realestate.com/rent for new listings, they are normally put on the site in the morning and afternoon.

Tip: Preperation- If you find your ideal property then getting your application in early is the key and supply plenty of information, references, pay slips, overseas bank statements have all this ready as the longer you take to gather this information the chances are someone will come along and beat you to your ideal property, also plea with the agent that you love the house so much and are desperate to move in asap, and if that don't work then offer a couple of weeks rent on top.

Shop Around The World Buy from retailers who ship to Australia...