Anyone else found it hard to get a job in wonderful aussie land?

Guest fizzylizzy

Guest fizzylizzy

Hiya ya all! :o)

I was just wondering if any other pomys newly over here in oz have found it difficult to get a job?

I landed in victoria on feb 6th (day before black saturday wow!), had myself almost 2 wonderful weeks full holiday mode (which was fantastic!), ended up blowing most of my visa dosh (oops!) and have been looking ~ now desperately ~ for a job since ~ and have got no-where.

i've applied for what must be over a hundred jobs online, but i either don't hear anything back at all or find out my visa is not accepted (im on the 1 year working holiday visa 417). i did get an interview and even got the job (and out of 600 applicants for the position that was pretty groovy going hehe), but then they found out from their head office that my visa wasn't acceptable ~ most of the chain stores say they'll only accept my application if my visa is valid for over a year, but poms can't get that visa unless they do 3 months agricultural work ~ which i really wanted to do, but when i arrived i called around every where in victoria and no-one was hiring fruit pickers because they already had too many people.

i did find out that i might get some fruit picking jobs in queensland or western australia, but i actually came over here to be with my aussie partner (we met in edinburgh in august 2007 and have been inseparable ever since) so the idea of leaving him to go a few thousand miles away for work just seemed insane.

i've also done the rounds of the local townships with my cv, handing them out to every shop and cafe going, but didn't get anywhere either. i did get a couple of bites, one lot even asked me to come in saturday for a trial run, but when they found out i'd be using public transport they went cold, looked at me like i was a bit of a freak, and quietly shut the door in my face (slight exaggeration but you get the general idea hehe). the same goes for employment agencies... one actually laughed in my face (okay, in my ear as i was talking to her on the phone) when i said i didn't have a car and would be relying on public transport, and she told me she couldn't help me till i had a car. the thing is... i've used the aussie public transport system quite a lot since i've been here and its been fine, so i don't understand why folk are so phobic about it.... can anyone shed any light on this? main problem is... i don't drive (lol.... in the uk no-one can afford to drive hehe!)

i'm 28 years old and i have experience doing pretty much everything... from factory work to accounts, and my cv is pretty good so all i can figure is that my visa is the main problem... but then why are poms given this visa if u end up destitute on it because no-one will hire you?

is anyone else having this problem or am i just looking in the wrong places.... or, hehehe... just unhirable lol! :oD

I am looking into staying here and applying for the spouse visa (and yes.... i've fallen in love with this country... its beautiful and wonderful and the people are fantastic!) but need a job to be able to afford the $2000 to apply for it. its all starting to feel a little hopeless.

anyways.... if anyone can help that would be wonderful.... i just hope i haven't bored you with my crazy rambling hehehe!

have a great day everyone, love and hugs liz x

I think its pretty hard for Australians as well as you at the moment as businesses are not hiring.

Have you thought of working in a cafe or something just casual there are usually signs on the windows or business I know one such business in Frankston has signs constantly.

The reason you would need a car is because the trains are not joined in a ring at all and go out like arms from the cbd this makes it very difficult as to get some places you would have to go on one train to Caulfield and change to another train out again to where you want to go.

You could try getting off your train line and looking around the station areas for work.

Guest TheArmChairDetective

In times of dire need subway,mac"D" and the like are always good, especially if your older.

Guest smc01
Hiya ya all! :o)

I was just wondering if any other pomys newly over here in oz have found it difficult to get a job?

I landed in victoria on feb 6th (day before black saturday wow!), had myself almost 2 wonderful weeks full holiday mode (which was fantastic!), ended up blowing most of my visa dosh (oops!) and have been looking ~ now desperately ~ for a job since ~ and have got no-where.

i've applied for what must be over a hundred jobs online, but i either don't hear anything back at all or find out my visa is not accepted (im on the 1 year working holiday visa 417). i did get an interview and even got the job (and out of 600 applicants for the position that was pretty groovy going hehe), but then they found out from their head office that my visa wasn't acceptable ~ most of the chain stores say they'll only accept my application if my visa is valid for over a year, but poms can't get that visa unless they do 3 months agricultural work ~ which i really wanted to do, but when i arrived i called around every where in victoria and no-one was hiring fruit pickers because they already had too many people.

i did find out that i might get some fruit picking jobs in queensland or western australia, but i actually came over here to be with my aussie partner (we met in edinburgh in august 2007 and have been inseparable ever since) so the idea of leaving him to go a few thousand miles away for work just seemed insane.

i've also done the rounds of the local townships with my cv, handing them out to every shop and cafe going, but didn't get anywhere either. i did get a couple of bites, one lot even asked me to come in saturday for a trial run, but when they found out i'd be using public transport they went cold, looked at me like i was a bit of a freak, and quietly shut the door in my face (slight exaggeration but you get the general idea hehe). the same goes for employment agencies... one actually laughed in my face (okay, in my ear as i was talking to her on the phone) when i said i didn't have a car and would be relying on public transport, and she told me she couldn't help me till i had a car. the thing is... i've used the aussie public transport system quite a lot since i've been here and its been fine, so i don't understand why folk are so phobic about it.... can anyone shed any light on this? main problem is... i don't drive (lol.... in the uk no-one can afford to drive hehe!)

i'm 28 years old and i have experience doing pretty much everything... from factory work to accounts, and my cv is pretty good so all i can figure is that my visa is the main problem... but then why are poms given this visa if u end up destitute on it because no-one will hire you?

is anyone else having this problem or am i just looking in the wrong places.... or, hehehe... just unhirable lol! :oD

I am looking into staying here and applying for the spouse visa (and yes.... i've fallen in love with this country... its beautiful and wonderful and the people are fantastic!) but need a job to be able to afford the $2000 to apply for it. its all starting to feel a little hopeless.

anyways.... if anyone can help that would be wonderful.... i just hope i haven't bored you with my crazy rambling hehehe!

have a great day everyone, love and hugs liz x

No offence or anything, and I really hope you find something but the purpose of the WHM visa is primarily for a holiday. If you were on a different type of visa then fair enough, you could say why have I been given the visa and then can't find work, but you have said yourself you would have got a job by now if it wasn't for the terms of your WHM visa.

As stated on the immigration website - This visa allows you to supplement the cost of your holiday through short-term employment. If your primary reason for travelling to Australia is to participate in the work force, you should consider a visa designed for that purpose

Most people on the WHM visa just do bar work or something similar so they can still travel about and see as much of the country as possible - which is the purpose of the visa. Same goes for Aussies doing the WHM visa in the UK.

Good luck though, hope u find something soon. :cute:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest caroliner76

I did the working holiday visa many years ago..... unfortunately it doesn't matter how hard working and experienced you are many employers are not interested in the "backpacker" visa.... No offence intended to any backpackers, but they have a reputation (justifiable or not...) of being unreliable and disappearing on a moments notice. My advice to you is to find friends, make contacts and show them that you are not the stereo typical backpacker drinking and partying your way round Oz. Thats what we did and it worked for me. I'm still here 6yrs on.....

Archived